C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ID of a 93 resonator

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 06:39 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default ID of a 93 resonator

I'm continuing my angst on exhaust upgrades but with low low low drone on my 91.

My latest detour is removing my stock resonator and swapping with a later model with a larger Internal ID, which I understand is WAY lower restriction.

I have a line on a 93 LT1 CE version that is used and seems serviceable and fair priced. Is this year the "low restriction" model and is it worth swapping? I'm pretty resonance adverse and am willing to trade a few ponies to be able to listen to my bose gold.

If swapped, I would remove the factory mufflers with something complimentary.

Will the 93 resonator fit the bill or do I keep looking?
Old 12-26-2016, 11:23 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

you mean 96 LT4 resonator? I don't recall there being any other oem ones that were larger than that.

No matter what you put there, you need to have single outlet mufflers to minimize drone or use of actuated flaps to make the second tip close/open as needed. I did single outlet muffs on my old 95 LT1 car. It sounded pretty good, but just looked a little funny not having 4 exhaust tips.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:17 AM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay Bill... we see this entire "drone" issue come up often when discussing exhaust. Let's talk about what causes it.

Drone or excessive drone is a frequency issue. It's all about wave propagation, sound waves in particular. When you have two waves of similar frequency hitting each other, they can combine to create a much larger or more powerful wave resulting in lots more noise or drone.

The sound waves are generated by engine rpm, and the exhaust system. Specifically the size and design of the mufflers can have a lot to do with it. An OEM auto maker ( I won't divulge which one) discovered long ago that if you use two mufflers that are different length they will have different waveforms resulting in almost no drone on a V8 engine across the entire RPM band. Sadly the aftermarket never caught on to this.

If you want a great sounding drone free system, design your own. My classic favorite is headers into an H or X pipe, no resonator, and mufflers of the straight through variety. You can size one muffler 1" shorter than the other to minimize any drone possibilities. This will sound very smooth and quiet at idle and at full song sounds like a race car. Of course that's the sound I like. I've never done this on an LT5, but I'm thinking long and hard about it.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:55 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
... An OEM auto maker ( I won't divulge which one)...
Why not?

Cool idea though. I also like the technique I saw another person here did by adding 1/4 wave tube reflector snails into the spare tire area (although I'm not willing to give up my spare)... but neat ideas to try out.

Last edited by mike100; 12-30-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ID of a 93 resonator

Quick Reply: ID of a 93 resonator