C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1990 ZR-1 battery charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:28 AM
ZRide
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1990 ZR-1 battery charging issue

I recently changed out the antenna mast on my 90 ZR-1. Now I have a problem with the battery charging. At start up the voltage gauge needle points right in middle but will go up so to where it would normally be if I hold the RPM's around 1000. After a few minutes the needle will start to go back down even with the RPM's up.

I put a new battery in it and the symptoms persist. My only guess now is I didn't get the wires back on the antenna properly or the alternator is going bad. I find it odd that the alternator would coincidentally start to fail when the antenna was out.

I went to start it today and now the battery is dead. So, I am all ears to any suggestions you have.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 01-14-2017, 10:39 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Hard to say, but try charging it while disconnected. Then check the voltage and reconnect to see if it holds voltage while starting. If not, better recheck the wiring
Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 AM
ZRide
Intermediate

I have the battery on the charger now but the battery is still hooked up. Is there an advantage to disconnecting it?

I am trying to find a picture or schematic for the antenna wires hoping that might be the issue.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

With your particular set of circumstances I'd say you get the alternator tested "ON CAR" and maybe do a load test of the electrical while doing. Your fluctuation "in car" can be interpreted as a couple different faults. You mention battery is new, failure of it can't be ruled out but not knowing how long it was actually in the car before failing it's difficult to comment. If you were driving it and the alternator not charging the new then of course the new is going to die.

HAVE YOU CHECKED - CLEANED the side terminals to the battery? Remove the bolt from the cable and clean the larger ring terminal that's actually responsible for continuity/connection to the battery.

Originally Posted by ZRide
I have the battery on the charger now but the battery is still hooked up. Is there an advantage to disconnecting it?

I am trying to find a picture or schematic for the antenna wires hoping that might be the issue.
The connector to the antenna is a "plug-in" and it would be difficult to assume you've failed there. Does the antenna operate as expected? UP - when on and DOWN when off? You could remove the CTSY fuse and disable the antenna. Did you remove the antenna from the car to replace the mast?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM
ZRide
Intermediate

I installed the battery after changing the antenna mast & after the charging problem started. I have not checked the ring terminals but will do that next.

I did remove the antenna from the car when I replaced the mast and the antenna operates fine. Can you tell me where the CTSY fuse is?

Thanks,
Travis
Old 01-14-2017, 07:04 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a remote possibility the antenna motor is not cycling and shutting off like it should when the mast is retracted. So pull the CTSY fuse in the RH dash panel to see if the battery drain drops to zero. Do you have an accurate DVM to measure voltages?

Glenn
Old 01-15-2017, 11:25 AM
ZRide
Intermediate

I will try pulling he CTSY fuse next and see if that has an effect.

Thanks, Glenn.

Travis
Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I will try pulling he CTSY fuse next and see if that has an effect.

Thanks, Glenn.

Travis
if the antenna isn't shutting off you will hear it running.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 PM
ZRide
Intermediate

After trying several different things the alternator is the problem. I was able to get it checked and that came back as the culprit for the lack of charging.

The question now is, has anyone replaced an alternator without removing the plenum? I saw a YouTube video of the removal & reinstallation but it didn't address the steps up to removing the alternator, such as getting the belt off.

As always, tips & suggestions are appreciated.

Travis
Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

After trying several different things the alternator is the problem. I was able to get it checked and that came back as the culprit for the lack of charging.

The question now is, has anyone replaced an alternator without removing the plenum? I saw a YouTube video of the removal & reinstallation but it didn't address the steps up to removing the alternator, such as getting the belt off.

Travis
From what I understand it can be removed with the plenum in place. Remove the airhorn and you should have room. Getting the belt off takes about 10 seconds. Pull the tensioner up with a wrench,throw the belt off and go from there. If you've never done this there is a provision in the front of the tensioner for a 1/2 inch ratchet. If not clear on this should be on YouTube.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 01-19-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:33 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Travis
Some Links for ya

Alternator Replacement without Pulling Plenum TIPS
Backup Tail Light Switch and Rebuilding Chrome Alternator

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-20-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:19 PM
ZRide
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Travis

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 ZR-1 battery charging issue

Quick Reply: 1990 ZR-1 battery charging issue