C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Callaway replica?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:54 AM
MB_evo2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callaway replica?

Hello Corvette fans,

to introduce myself briefly I am a big Corvette and Mercedes AMG fans from Switzerland. I really like high performance cars with big v8 and one of my favorite dream cars was always the c4 ZR1 & the Callaway Sledghamner and I particular love the Callaway aero kit so here comes my question:-)
My idea is either to purchase:

1.a stock c4 ZR1 and built it ground up to a +-500hp callaway replica including high performance coil-over system. Very long and hard but cool project I believe.

2. Purchase a Callaway with 480hp in Switzerland but i need to install the Callaway bodykit and a high performance coil M-over system, Recaro seats etc

3. Buy c6 stock 647hp ZR1?

at the end it will basically cost about the same price so please let me know what you guys would do ?

sure the 3rd choice might be the quickest car around a track but I love the Callaway aero kit so much and it was my dream car when I was a kid:-)

Thanks so much in advance.
Henry

Last edited by MB_evo2; 02-25-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 AM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

You should check out the ZR-1 Registry. I too am a big Mercedes fan, have a c32 AMG, tuned SL600 TT, and a tuned NA E550 Coupe w/C63 brakes. I also have an 87 Callaway TT which is a project car...including a GM prototype intake....I was also able to land a copy of the Sledgehammer Cam from Dave Generous. The ZR-1 is an awesome car, an Aerobody ZR-1 with a 380ci LT-5 would be a great car.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 AM
MB_evo2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lgaff
You should check out the ZR-1 Registry. I too am a big Mercedes fan, have a c32 AMG, tuned SL600 TT, and a tuned NA E550 Coupe w/C63 brakes. I also have an 87 Callaway TT which is a project car...including a GM prototype intake....I was also able to land a copy of the Sledgehammer Cam from Dave Generous. The ZR-1 is an awesome car, an Aerobody ZR-1 with a 380ci LT-5 would be a great car.

awesome this sounds great!!

i have a 680hp (limited€ 1050 Nm ml63 and a 322hp 190e EVO 2 , a c32 and 430hp C55 :-) really love these MB cars!

what about the suspension system on the zr1 do I need to make it better ? If I recall Callaway adjusted the "pneumatic" system on the 400 supernatural model

Last edited by MB_evo2; 02-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

have you called/emailed callaway,they might build you one
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I say build the C4. C6s are great cars, but you see them everywhere. At least here in the states. Same here man, I love vettes since I was born lol. And just got a second love for AMG. My dad has an 06 CLS55 AMG. But yeah, I want ZR-1 as well. Please post pics of the Evo!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:34 PM
MB_evo2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
have you called/emailed callaway,they might build you one

Yea so far 3 emails and no answer ...so I am waiting anxiously for an answer!

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I say build the C4. C6s are great cars, but you see them everywhere. At least here in the states. Same here man, I love vettes since I was born lol. And just got a second love for AMG. My dad has an 06 CLS55 AMG. But yeah, I want ZR-1 as well. Please post pics of the Evo!
Ah ah ah so cool man!

With pleasure I will post a link tomorrow
Old 02-26-2017, 04:20 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've always liked the idea of building a Sledgehammer out of a ZR-1.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:40 AM
MB_evo2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I've always liked the idea of building a Sledgehammer out of a ZR-1.

I fully agree I am so excited you can't imagine ! I already have one of 2 of my dream cars now I need the second one.

However Callaway is not very good at answering emails it won't be easy!

The Callaway aero kit seems still available correct?

Here are a few pictures of my Mercedes evo II
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...p=5916095.html
Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MB_evo2
I fully agree I am so excited you can't imagine ! I already have one of 2 of my dream cars now I need the second one.

However Callaway is not very good at answering emails it won't be easy!

The Callaway aero kit seems still available correct?

Here are a few pictures of my Mercedes evo II
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...p=5916095.html
You can still buy an Aerobody kit, but they won't build any C4s point, they are solely focused on new cars now.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:56 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Awesome car I saw the F1 AMG model car to I think the new cars look great in F1.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:55 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

From what I'm hearing Callaway seems to have dropped the ball with customer service.

Seriously? Based on what? Surely not any facts, as I'm reading this on a Sunday, ready to help any way I can.

The AeroBody is still available, no problem. Please let me know if I can help with any specific details. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:58 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MB_evo2
Yea so far 3 emails and no answer ...so I am waiting anxiously for an answer!

Ah ah ah so cool man!

With pleasure I will post a link tomorrow
Hi.. who are you emailing? I saw one late Friday, after hours I think, and will answer here - AeroBody is available.
However, not in carbon fiber.

There are slight differences in the one you sent a pic (Callaway Sledgehammer) and production, but we'd be glad to supply. Thank you.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

People are bitchin,I've heard this from several people. You've got a customer that started this thread that's trying to give you his money. That's for starters.
Jeff, actually, the email asked if we had any cars (like the Sledgehammer in pic) for sale, or would make the Callaway AeroBody in carbon fiber.

Now, in fairness, the email went to a general email, after hours, on a Friday. But in this 24/7 society of the internet, it's easy to complain, just as you are posting what you "heard", for starters. Thanks.

To the OP, if we can help, please let us know - it's understandabke, given your location, email works for you, but our normal hours are M-F, 9-5, EST.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
no, I called you on your now seemingly ridiculous claim that you can't or won't back up. Im going with can't. That's not a pissing contest, that's calling out an apparent fabrication from someone trolling a well respected vendor on this site.
You need to climb back over to OT where your clever humor is slightly more appreciated,it's not welcome here. Oh,and you have a little something on your nose. I'm done here.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm right there with you. I intend to eventually either buy a legit CR-1 or build a replica out of a ZR-1 and an Aerobody because I loved my old '90 ZR-1 so much. Plus C4 Aerobody Callaways are the reason why I own a Callaway today. Plus, I would love to add a 2012 Centennial Edition C6 SC606 or SC652 (if I'm lucky) as well.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm glad to see Chris is making an effort to help out the OP.

Josh - to answer your question - I was one of the people that was keen to modify my ZR-1 to an aerobody, and after getting ZERO response from Callaway, I decided that I'd rather chew rusty nails than put the Callaway name on my Z. Then I saw what Dennis Fierstein went through trying to get his aerobody and then the extensive custom body work to get it to fit anywhere near OEM, and finally being denied emblems that said "Callaway Corvette" by Callaway - well, let's just say I felt very justified in my decision to have nothing to do with this company.

Just to be clear - this wasn't a single email - it was over the course of a year or two. Things work out a certain way for a reason.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:38 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Isn't there an Atomic Orange ZR-1 named AtomicZ that has an Aerobody on it? Hell, I'll 'settle' for a Callaway TT and just get another ZR-1 down the line. I have no interest in a mid-engine C8 since I barely fit in my C7, so it's time to get back into my favorite old Vettes - C4s & C6s.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway replica?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Let's try to stay on topic. Take anything else to PM's

Last edited by H P Bushrod; 02-27-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
I'm glad to see Chris is making an effort to help out the OP.

Josh - to answer your question - I was one of the people that was keen to modify my ZR-1 to an aerobody, and after getting ZERO response from Callaway, I decided that I'd rather chew rusty nails than put the Callaway name on my Z. Then I saw what Dennis Fierstein went through trying to get his aerobody and then the extensive custom body work to get it to fit anywhere near OEM, and finally being denied emblems that said "Callaway Corvette" by Callaway - well, let's just say I felt very justified in my decision to have nothing to do with this company.

Just to be clear - this wasn't a single email - it was over the course of a year or two. Things work out a certain way for a reason.
Got it, but in all fairness that was more than a decade ago. There have been significant changes at the company during that time. It would be like saying that LPE is exactly the same as when John was alive. It isn't.

When someone comes on and makes and allegation that he refuses to validate I'll call him out, regardless the company. I don't think a decade old data sample Is still relevant as a standard for poor/unresponsive customer service at this point, at that time the arguement stands. He said "people are bitchin," that's present tense. If I had to guess, I highly doubt you're talking anymore. I'm pretty sure you're probably over and have been for along time.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
Isn't there an Atomic Orange ZR-1 named AtomicZ that has an Aerobody on it? Hell, I'll 'settle' for a Callaway TT and just get another ZR-1 down the line. I have no interest in a mid-engine C8 since I barely fit in my C7, so it's time to get back into my favorite old Vettes - C4s & C6s.
Yes, the AtomicZ, I remember the conversion of that car, and while it was "before my time" at Callaway, I know the company went through great lengths to make that one happen

This one, and the DDS LT5 saga, seem to be old stories of requesting an AeroBody during the time when the wider, ZR-1 specific body wasn't available. The molds were destroyed in a fire, and parts were not available. This was a pretty well-known fact, and in the end, we went the extra mile and made parts again - so this "story" is a non-issue, really, when you think about all involved.

I am trying to recall exactly when we responded, but had a customer who "4-cornered" their Callaway CR-1, and in that time, we worked with his shop to reproduce the specific ZR-1 width molds, thus making the parts available again.

Now to tell you the cost was high, would be an understatement. But our company is committed to our customers, and to their vehicles. We stock parts on the shelf, and even today, still manufacture parts which are obsolete. Not every supplier is still in business, 30 years after the first B2K was made, so we make the parts, where we can.

Regarding the emblems though, our company policy is that we will not - and do not sell emblems unless a vehicle has the "Power Side" of the Callaway equation. We also do not sell specific parts, primarily for the B2K-era cars, unless someone actually has a B2K. These policies are to prevent cloning. We do not have "fake" Callaways out there, as a result.

Celebrating 40 years in business, and 30 years with the Callaway Corvette, our company provides excellent products and packages, supported by a team of engineers and fine craftsmen, who truly take pride in the work we deliver.

We have three locations - one in CT, one in CA, and one in Germany. Our business hours are M-F, 9-5 EST, and by appointment most any other time. We are at shows throughout the year, and online most of the time.

If we can be of service, please let us know. Thank you.

Last edited by Callaway Chris; 02-27-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Callaway replica?