C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How to Check Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:22 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default How to Check Motor Mounts

Because these things are wrapped in insulation, it is difficult to tell if they are beginning to fail. I recently replaced my clutch with a Ram dual disc unit. Now I have a bit of a shutter when starting from stop in 1st gear. It appears the intake boot may also be hitting on the underside of the hood. With no cross member, there is likely more flex in the drive line than there would be otherwise. To check other cars, I just look at engine movement to see if there appears to be excessive twist while lightly loading the engine by partially releasing clutch in first with the brake on. It always helps to have a visual on the joint as well if possible.

I did have issues with the clutch install which required a good bit of motor mount flexing because the engine had to be raised and lowered quite a bit to get shifter to clear tunnel.

I was wondering if I should be able to physically move the engine side to side at all? Was thinking about jacking up the front to get car off of suspension and try to move the engine with a dial caliper to see if it moves. The car has 27,000 miles on it and there does not appear to be any visual signs of failure i.e. fluid loss etc. as I believe these mounts are fluid filled?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

easiest check is to put the car in gear and "power brake it a bit"

with the hood up. Usually the right side motor mount fails and you'll see the motor raise up and hear some clunking

I honestly don't hear of too many of them failing on the ZR-1

Quick Reply: How to Check Motor Mounts