C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Low mounted turbos = separate oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 01:10 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Low mounted turbos = separate oil pump?

Or does it?

The turbos can be supplied oil from the engine. The trouble comes when mounting them down low. The oil stays in the turbo and eventually the seals go.

I've read/seen that Callaway Twin-turbos have a separate oil pump built into the belt tensioner. Do they run a completely separate system as well? tank? cooler? If all they do is a separe pump, how does it get the oil out of the sump.

Can the stock pump be used if the return line is above the oil level so the vacuum is broke?

What about using a one-way valve?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2002, 08:29 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Re: Low mounted turbos = separate oil pump? (BrianCunningham)

the turbos either need to "gravity drain" and be mounted above the oil level of the pan and have a generous return line to keep the oil from stacking up in the turbo bearing or fitted with a scavenge pump when mounted low to "suck" the oil out and pump it back into the oiling system. the callaway scavanging system works well as those turbos are mounted low, as does the LPE scavenge pump on the C5 turbos which are mounted in approx. the same position.

are you considering a twin turbo ZR1 or just asking in general about turbos??? I was speaking with Aaron Scott and some other ZR1 owners about what it will take to do a twin turbo ZR1.

very cool project, but not cheap!!! the LPE TT ZR1 cars were 54K to start and they seem like a bargain compared to all the other costs from mallet, callaway, etc... for twin turbo ZR1s. only 4 will ever be built.

keep in touch, I have been researching a twin turbo ZR1 project for quite some time and trying to drum up some interest. if 5-10 people wanted the conversion done, we could get the cost down to around the price of a 415 build and make LOTS of power.

it will take lowering the compression, some pretty expensive fabrication and lots of tuning, but as the many 800 HP twin turbo ZR1s have proven, it's worth it IMHO!!!

fyi, a twin turbo 427 LPE C5 just broke into the 8's down the 1/4. turbo cars definitely make some serious power!!! those cars could boost up over 1k HP and still be very streetable. hard to do with a NA car and less potential damage than nitrous, plus the power level is adjustable, comes on more progressively, and the bottle never runs out!! I'm a bit biased as I have been running turbo cars since 87 and they are amazing!!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:57 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Default Re: Low mounted turbos = separate oil pump? (Rkreigh)

been debated about "the next step" on my own car.

Most of the Callaway car owners hang out in this section so I thought I'd ask

Ever since I've seen that 1,200hp car ( non-ZR1 ) I've been thinking on it.

I used to work at a speed shop in Dallas, 1400hp twin-turbo Testarossas! :eek:
Old 12-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I've seen some of the Koenig twin turbo ferraris, did you work with Bob Norwood by chance???

honestly, a TT ZR1 is awesome, but exceedingly expensive unless we can get a large enough group to commit to the project to get costs down.

just reducing the compression on the LT5 requires a 368 build as a starting point and the c4 packaging makes the "plumbing" for the intercoolers a bit of a challenge.

never seen any 1400 HP ferraris!!! but I do remember the old lemans flat 12 turbo porches that put out HP arount that level, incredibly fast cars!!! very durable too.

thanks for any info, plz email me offline ron_kreigh@hotmail.com
Old 12-03-2002, 08:13 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

I've seen some of the Koenig twin turbo ferraris, did you work with Bob Norwood by chance???
yup
He's got some "interesting" theories
12psi of boost with 11:1 compression, for 6seconds only, otherwise the engine explodes! :eek: and yes quite a few did! :rolleyes:
They were also fond of spitting out spark plugs, not the electrodes, the plugs! OUCH! :eek:
:cool: cars, but they're a little on the heavy side.

Back to the ZR1 twin turbos:
I like the one with the intercoolers under the headlights.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

not too much room there. the LPE cars used a large center mounted intercooler that looked much like the factory air filter box!!!

I think one of the mallett cars used the intercoolers at the corners in front which will work well too after relocating all the stuff packed up there.

the plumbing is a bit of a hassle, as will the tuning, but the twin turbo zr1 would be an awesome car for sure. just ask those that own one!!
Old 12-04-2002, 06:05 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Callaway Twin Turbo's do use a seperate oil pump (different designs over the years)

If I recall, my 87 GN was gravity fed??????hmmmmmm

Ron, I knew a TT post would come and there you would be :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Low mounted turbos = separate oil pump?

Quick Reply: Low mounted turbos = separate oil pump?