C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 10:02 PM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install

I just completed the install of a new Fluidyne radiator in my '94 ZR-1. The Fluidyne is a very nice looking piece, and appears to be made with excellent craftsmanship. The install is pretty straightforward. Contrary to what was reported by another on the ZR-1.net, I found the "lugs" or "feet" at the bottom of the radiator on each side, as well as at the top, to be in the correct "stock" locations. The Fluidyne sits right down into the rubber "cradles" at the bottom of the shroud, but in my installation, I could in no way install the top shroud without trimming the top rubber cradles by removing about 1/2 to 3/4 inches of rubber material from both the left and right top rubber cradles. Even after trimming, I had to exert quite a bit of downward pressure on the shroud to get some bolts and nuts started to secure the top shroud to the frame. Its as if the Fluidyne radiator is 1/2 to 1 inch taller than the stock unit. I did not measure the Fluidyne against the stock unit, except to match up the distances between the "lugs" prior to installation.

Along with the radiator, I installed a new water pump, all new hoses, and a new 180 degree thermostat. I don't know if its the Stant unit referred to by others.

My question involves the thermostat. The digital temp gauge in the instrument cluster reads 196 F at cruise, and will creep to 201 or so after idling for 10 minutes in the garage, with the engine fully warmed. If I feel the radiator on the driver's side near the top radiator hose, it is hot enough that I cannot touch it. On the passenger side, if I feel the radiator downstream of the thermostat, where the short lower radiator hose connects to the radiator, it is warm, but not too warm that you cannot touch it, or even leave your hand on it. Also, the thermostat housing is cool enough to grab downstream of the thermostat, but upstream, its too hot to touch. I removed the thermostat and boiled it on the stove with an accurate thermometer, along with the old stock thermostat, to make sure it was not sticking closed. The new 180 degree unit opened at precisely 180 degrees, and the old stock unit opened at precisely 195 degrees. I verified that the new thermostat is indeed correctly installed, with the tapered end of the seal towards the radiator, and properly seated in the thermostat housing.

Does the difference in temperature between the left and right sides of the radiator and thermostat housing sound right, or do I have a coolant flow problem? Maybe a restriction somewhere? I have been over the system carefully and I can't see if I went wrong anywhere, if in fact something is wrong. I drove the car for 1/2 hour, and the temp stays right at 196, and creeps to 200 at a stoplight.

Any ideas?

:(
Old 04-26-2003, 11:32 PM
locobob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install (ZZZZZR1)

Should have gotten a Ron Davis unit....... :jester
Old 04-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install (locobob)

Should have gotten a Ron Davis unit....... :jester

No joke Nick. If you're going to do it, do it right :D

Old 04-27-2003, 03:54 PM
DenverZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install (ZZZZZR1)

I recently installed a Fluidyne radiator and had to trim the upper cradles as well. I also had to install weatherstripping on the sides to seal the rad to the shroud as described in the write-up in the tech section.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install

Quick Reply: Fluidyne Radiator/New Thermostat Install