C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Patand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel

Anyone have a flywheel over?
I was to replace my stock clutch only to se my flywheel gone. Some gunk had leaked on to disc from flywheelside. So now I am stranded with a new clutch but no flywheel. Question is can I use stock clutch on a single mass or do I need a sprung disc? How much are stock dual mass, where to buy?
Need some advice on which way to go!
Tanks!

:confused:
Old 11-10-2003, 08:39 PM
415LT5
Instructor

Default Re: flywheel (Patand)

You can use a stock clutch with a single mass flywheel. I have a stock clutch/Fidonza flywheel setup on mine.
What was causing the leak? Rear main seal?

I'm sure you can find a stock dual mass flywheel for sale. Look at zr1.net in the parts for sale section.
Good Luck

[Modified by 415LT5, 7:40 PM 11/10/2003]
Old 11-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Patand
Intermediate

Default Re: flywheel (415LT5)

You can use a stock clutch with a single mass flywheel. I have a stock clutch/Fidonza flywheel setup on mine.
What was causing the leak? Rear main seal?

I'm sure you can find a stock dual mass flywheel for sale. Look at zr1.net in the parts for sale section.
Good Luck

[Modified by 415LT5, 7:40 PM 11/10/2003]
I really don´t know what caused the leak yet. Got a call from my mechanic and he said he couldn´t install the new clutch because there was some kind of gunk on the disc, and there was no progressive resistens when turning the flywheel. I will here him out tomorrow exactly what he meant.The gunk had been leaking from the center of flywheel.
Wouldn´t the stock clutch disc make a lot of rattle on a fidanza?
Are your setup making a lot of rattle?
Why are the dual mass so expensive?

:chevy
Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
415LT5
Instructor

Yes it does rattle a little. Mine idles at 975 rpm and I have 3 inch exhaust so its not really bad. On a completely stock car it would be very noticable. The sprung hub clutch discs should help the rattle level drop some. I put up with the noise because the stock clutch is only $250.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

take the flywheel off and you will pretty quickly see if the rear main is leaking. also remember that there is a "plug" in the end of the crank that may be leaking too.

yes, the stock clutch will rattle pretty bad with a single mass, and although the sprung hubs help, the rattle is annoying and still there, it varies from car to car too. with the more rapid RPM response of the single mass it's worth the noise IMHO. on most cars you really won't notice the gear rattle too much from inside the car. outside it sounds like a diesel, especially when cold.!!!

the dual mass dampens the gear rattle from the ZF which is why they went with it, it's not really all that great for performance and REALLY heavy. they can go bad and puke over the clutch too which might be what happened if it broke down.

if you can stand the rattle, the LT5 really zings up quick with a lighter flywheel. just get a B&B so you can B about the resonance, it will take care of your ears so you won't hear the rattle!!!

If you are in dire straights, let me know, I have a fidanza waiting for a clutch to fail on one of my two zr1s, and it's not needed at the moment!!!

good luck, let us know what you find out. :reddevil
Old 11-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Patand
Intermediate

So a good idea would be to pick up a sprung disc along with the fidanza, and I can still use my stock pressureplate?

PA
Yes it does rattle a little. Mine idles at 975 rpm and I have 3 inch exhaust so its not really bad. On a completely stock car it would be very noticable. The sprung hub clutch discs should help the rattle level drop some. I put up with the noise because the stock clutch is only $250.
Yes $250 is a good deal except I have to pay global shipment another 150-200$. Does a lighter flywheel make better ET on a relativly stock car?

PA
Old 11-10-2003, 09:49 PM
415LT5
Instructor

I'm my opinion the single mass makes it harder to 60ft than the dual mass. From a roll the single mass flywheeel would spool a little faster.
As far as ET, it should make a difference but if it makes it harder to launch the difference would be small IMO, with no other changes to the car except for the flywheel. Lighter flywheels are really in their element when applied to road racing. With slicks you would want a heavier flywheel to build up a greater amount kinetic energy before launch.
You decide. How do you drive the car?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:35 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a complete assy with bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc...used from a 91 I'm parting out...it's heavy to ship, but if you want it, I'll see what I can work out...make me an offer on it.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: flywheel (PaceThis)

the stock pressure plate works fine. I thought I would have trouble launching with the lighter flywheel too as yes it has less kinetic energy to dump. but with 4.10 gears this actually helped the car hook a bit better and upshifts come MUCH quicker as the car revs nicely.

also makes the car work better on the road as the engine seems very happy with the lighter flywheel.

only real downside is the noise, which is significant and pretty annoying. after the B&B, I only notice it from outside the car.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Patand
Intermediate

Default Re: flywheel (Rkreigh)

Ok..confirmed today flywheels left the building!!

I would sure like to hear the rattle on idle before I go with fidanza. My stock used to rattle a lot during shut down and that was not so nice, but that must hav been because the flywheel was already worn out.

Maybe worth nothing, but if possible:
If somebody running a fidanza could tape a video clip with audio and mail me both from inside and otside the car on idle I would be very grateful!!!

Thanks

Patrik
:rolleyes:
Old 11-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I have a video camera but it would take me a bit to "digitize it"

I can call you and let you hear it, it's quite a racket with the "unsprung" clutch disk. the sprung disk helps a bit, but I would bet it would still be pretty noisey.

you might want to contact bill boudreau http://www.zfdoc.com for more info. this noise DOES vary from car to car from really obnoxious, to "not too bad".

going to the redline oil seems to help too, but I haven't done that.

I just turn up the stereo or listen to WOT 7200!!!

with the B&B exh, the rattle is hard to hear now as the exhaust is louder. :jester

[Modified by Rkreigh, 6:14 AM 11/12/2003]
Old 11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Patand
Intermediate

Yes I´ve talked to Bill, he says new stock dual mass have better design, and
will be the last flywheel I have to change! that rocks in a can sound is quite noticable in singlemass. Dual Mass are expensive though!

People have coment that swaping to a Fidanza only will make better numbers on the dyno graph. Is this true?

Patrik
Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

I honestly doubt a lighter fw makes power. it just reduces the load on the engine to spin up faster. I always hear about more HP, but that doesn't make too much sense from an engineering standpoint.

it DOES change the speed the engine revs up and it gets the car into the powerband sooner which helps lower ETs and reduces the load on the tranny synchros a bit I believe.

all I know is the noise is VERY loud and you want to think twice about that. On an "all out" car it makes sense as the exh is so loud that the tranny ratte can only be heard outside the car, and the rattle does seem to be less if you bump up the idle speed a bit and the car warms up the clearances get tighter in the trans.

I'm curious what is different about a "new dual mass" please elaborate
Old 11-13-2003, 11:46 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is now on eBay if you want a stock one...being sold with b/h, pressure plate, clutch disc, etc...but you could probably sell those for recoupe of much of bid price...I'll ship to several locations if you do this...

Get notified of new replies

To flywheel

Quick Reply: flywheel