C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Rear suspension rebuild & injector housings

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 05:45 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear suspension rebuild & injector housings

Just recently ive been spending all my spare time on my back under the rear of my Z cleaning,polishing & painting and have stripped out one side totaly so i can use the other side as a referal.

The new bushings and wheel bearings are fitted to the drivers side and it as all looking so sweet now(the poor old Z deserved it after 14 years service).

I found the hardest job was pushing out the 1st bushing till on the 2nd bush i pressed out the centre metal sleeve 1st and found it a whole lot easier to remove the rubber ...Doh!!

Ive read on these forums that the corvette axle set up is not ideal for drag racing?,lying under the Z i was looking at my hub and were the transverse spring has been removed because of coilovers it has left a hole at the rear of the hub where i could make up and fix a bracket,then at the rear of the chassis there is a bolt coming thru that could be utilised for another bracket so a threaded bar using rose jointed ends could hold the axle firm under acceleration,,has anyone tried this?? ,and perhaps make up a cross brace linking the 2 threaded bars for extra strength.

Ive also put right the leaking coolant housings that Jeal couldnt fix ,the threads were stripped in the injector housings so i got "The Thread doctor" to drill out the old thread cut new larger threads then insert stainless steel sleeves to except 6mm torx bolts.

Ive put it all back together now using the gaskets sent over by York67vette (thanks Tony) and sealant and will run a check on it once the motor is run,ime confident ive cured it.

Hope i havent bored you guys.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

No not boring interesting that you can fix your motor with a thread repair kit ie helicoil or what ever that isnt a hard to fix it!

Have fun man!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:17 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Phrogs how are you?,every time i see your short block sitting in the garage or watch the news you come to mind and i hope your safe.

Came across another problem today,fitted the new rear delco wheel bearings and there is not enough thread on the studs when the wheels are on with the brembo brakes behind,no problem i thought just swap the studs from the old bearings.

Only trouble is the stud holes on the new WB are bigger than the old WB,why did Delco have to go and do that!

Hope your home with your family soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear suspension rebuild & injector housings

Quick Reply: Rear suspension rebuild & injector housings