Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1986 Bright red coupe - $4800, runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:52 PM
craig0ry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Bright red coupe - $4800, runs fine.

*UPDATED 10/22/09*

New Price - $4800.

Greetings everyone!

So I wasn't ready to list the car yet, but I figure I may as well throw an ad up here and I'll just update it as I go along.

I'd like this car to go to someone who truly enjoys Corvettes and will love it or fix it up. It was my baby for a long time.

I'm selling my 1986 Coupe. I have kept receipts and logs for everything I've ever done to the car. It's always run on Mobile 1 w/ the matching filters and I've taken decent care of it over the years. I'll try to list every single flaw it currently has here. I've been dumping money and time into it lately to fix it up, so I'll change this ad and price as I fix the car up.

And please, someone let me know if I'm overpricing it - I won't be offended as long as you aren't rude!

The car has roughly ~115k on the odometer. The block was replaced around 40k miles ago to my knowledge by the previous owner. I have all of his receipts from this time period but I don't have them handy to look at ATM.

There are no mods whatsoever with the exception of a K&N air filter, a high flow air filter lid (still have the stock filter lid), a "descreened" MAF, and a BOSE CD player.

The car starts instantly and runs fine. It's not leaking any fluids whatsoever on my driveway.

I just replaced the antenna mast and it retracts and extends perfectly.

The clear coat is beginning to peel on the top of the 3rd brake light.

There is an aftermarket "Clifford" alarm system on the vehicle. It allows you to remotely unlock the doors, hatch, etc. Recently I removed the speaker for this antennae to make room in the engine bay and now I cannot find it. The system still works fine though.

The A/C is the original R12 system. This will need to be recharged, the compressor and everything is still good but the R12 is long gone.

I just replaced all the tires with brand new top of the line Bridgestones. When I say new, I mean brand new. They've only been driven from the tire shop to my driveway and that's it! The car also comes with two Firestone Firehawks with decent tread left.

At the same time that I got the new tires put on, I pulled the rotors, lubed the calipers, and put on new brake pads. They are semi-metallic pads though and do not stop anywhere near as powerfully as some ceramics.

Take a look at the interior, it's faded and not perfect, but it's not terrible. The seats and the arm rest and the dash are in pretty great condition, it is the carpeting that is wearing out.

The driver's side door lock spins freely with the key. This wasn't an issue with the remote unlock but I figure I'll fix this ASAP since it's probably just the rod in the door.

The driver's side headlamp low power bulb burned out. I'll be replacing the entire headlamp asap, probably this Friday.

The car has done the classic 2nd gear pop out to me in the past under hard deceleration. It hasn't done it in a while, but it's something a prospective buyer should be aware of.

There is a tiny star in the windshield where a rock was thrown up by a truck ON THE DAY I BOUGHT THE CAR! What luck! Anyway, I had it checked out and was told it was fine. It has never grown in size and is pretty small, but it is still annoying to the perfectionist in me.

One of the rear wheel bearings (pretty sure it's the passenger one) is making some noise and will need to be replaced.

Also, when I bought the car in 05, the SES light would alert me to a problem with the knock sensor. I replaced the sensor and then the light came back about six months later. It would happen randomly and without relation to any driving conditions so I think it was wiring related. Eventually I replaced the pigtail and I haven't seen the light since, but I don't want anyone to be surprised if it pops on. The car doesn't knock by the way, the knock sensor code alerts to a problem with the sensor, not a knock condition.

Aside from these things, the car seems fine. . I have the OEM tape cassette radio and a CD player from a '93 Camaro that I installed using adapters only - no cutting of the wiring. I paid $300 for that radio because it is compatible with our BOSE amps and it looks nice in the car - it matches the interior very well.

So all in all I plan on replacing the driver's side headlamp, replacing the passenger wheel bearing, and fixing the driver's side door lock as time permits this winter.

However if you are interested, please let me know in the meantime! I have made my best effort to list off every flaw and problem I could think of. As I continue to work on the car and organize all my old receipts and documentation I'll keep updating the thread.

Last edited by craig0ry; 10-27-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Lowered price back to $4800.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:06 PM
hibernatingvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tranny does it have in it? What color is the interior?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
craig0ry
Advanced

Default !

Excellent question, thank you! It has a 4+3.

The interior, I believe, is called "Charcoal gray"? Or something like that. The seats are in great condition, the rear hatch carpeting is sun-faded.

The car has recent Bilstein shocks (I believe they have a lifetime warranty?).

I will keep adding info as I remember it. Sometime in the next week I will drive an hour away to where I have my folder full of receipts, maintenance logs, and notes, and update this thread.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 PM
19Beast90
Racer

Could we get some pics? Also would you consider trading mabey?
kevin
Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
charliesc5
Drifting

post a few photos
Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM
craig0ry
Advanced

I'm going to take some pictures today guys. I have some on my computer but they are over a year and a half old - that's why I didn't post them!

As far as trades, I'm not actively looking for anything and I really mostly need the money... but I'm still interested in hearing a trade offer!

Thanks for the interest guys, I will update this thread very soon.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 AM
craig0ry
Advanced

New tires from www.tirerack.com (the only ZR Bridgestones in the stock size they have) are being ordered Friday morning. As soon as I get the tires on the vehicle I will get back to everyone with photos, full vehicle details, etc. etc.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM
craig0ry
Advanced

Bump for the pictures and price adjustment, etc.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
craig0ry
Advanced

Okay I lowered the price back to $4800 because I really do not want to have to put this thing on Autotrader and deal with a bunch of used car sharks from the city and 17 year old kids calling me!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
noerrorsfound
4th Gear

Originally Posted by craig0ry
and 17 year old kids calling me!
That hurts...it really does.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
craig0ry
Advanced

Originally Posted by noerrorsfound
That hurts...it really does.

Haha! Except 17 year old members, of course.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Bright red coupe - $4800, runs fine.

Quick Reply: 1986 Bright red coupe - $4800, runs fine.