Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

Trade my Formula boat for a c4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
dirtymike77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trade my Formula boat for a c4?

I have a Formula 233 Interceptor that I would like to trade for a c4 corvette, any year starting at '85, not an 84. For the right car I could add cash on my end, but I would prefer for a straight trade if possible.
I'm more concerned about mechanical issues than cosmetics, and if it is a stick shift then even better!

Details about the boat:
1979 Formula Thunderbird F233 Interceptor, which was a limited edition. The original owner bought the boat new in 1980, and I bought it from him in 2010. It was always kept inside, never in the water. The motor is a 5.7 quicksilver (chevy/mercruiser) crate motor that was installed in 2001. The outdrive is the original volvo penta 280pt which works great. The motor has the closed cooling system, so there is never any outside water entering the engine. The boat was also a freshwater only boat until 2009 when the owner moved to Wilmington NC from Ohio.

The total hours on the boat are around 375.

The inside of the cabin is all original and in MINT condition, even the 8-track/radio still works. It also has a toilet in it, however I have never used it and it doesn't appear to have been used anytime recently.

Also have the full top for riding out of the weather or just some shade.

I have already had the boat winterized, so it is ready for the winter.

trade value is around the $4500 range, as that is the value my insurance company has it at. So I would like a trade somewhere in that range.

It is one of the best riding boats ever made for its size. When the seas get big and others have to slow down you can keep cruising through 3-4ft waves with no issues. If you aren't familiar with it, do a quick google search for formula 233 and you will see the huge following it has and how good of a boat it is. The hull is still being produced by albemarle as their 24ft model.

Now for the bad.

First off, the last time I had the boat out this fall the steering cable broke and needs to be replaced. The cable is less than $100 and same with labor to install. If I get the time I will end up replacing it myself, but I have been so busy I just haven't had the time.

The trim for the outdrive will slowly let itself down over the course of a week. It works just fine, but there was a common problem with the pumps with an internal o-ring. Has never bothered me so I never took it apart. Works great everytime, it just very slowly drifts down over the course of a week or so.

and last, as you can see, the rear seat has a split at the seam.

Trailer: gets the job done, new springs hubs and one axle, all tires are good, but it's just ugly.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Big Craig
Racer

Damn ... where were you 6 weeks ago?

I'm selling a 91, and just bought a similar boat 6 weeks ago.
Now I have both.

Nice looking boat ... good luck with your sale.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
dirtymike77
Instructor

dang.....6 weeks ago was when I started thinking about getting rid of it, but it took until now to finally decide
Old 06-27-2012, 05:12 PM
dirtymike77
Instructor

bump.
boat has been great, been using it frequently now that the weather is nice. I also got a newer nicer trailer for it, it now sits on a glvanized roller trailer that has an 8k weight limit with brakes. i will post more pictures soon

Get notified of new replies

To Trade my Formula boat for a c4?

Quick Reply: Trade my Formula boat for a c4?