Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1987 Corvette T56 73k miles black/gray

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
fade2blk500
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Corvette T56 73k miles black/gray

1987 Corvette L98 T56
I purchased the car about 6 months ago to be my daily driver for a little while and be a little project car. I am now about to purchase a newer model z06, so this car has to go. I have a clean and clear title and the car-fax history is clean as well.

A little back ground history on the car. I purchased it off e-bay for 4150 shipped from North carolina to Georgia.. I ran the vin number through every different database I could find including car-fax and the mileage shows to be correct. The car originally had a 4+3 transmission that started acting up within 500 miles of owning the car. I had no problems with that as I had planned on installing a t56 in the car anyways.. I've daily drove the car since I backed it off the transporter last summer and have had no issues with the car getting me back and forth to work. The only down time it had was for a week or so when I pulled the 4+3 and installed the t56 transmission. The car maintains the factory console and the speedometer and everything works as it should.. I did have to trim the cup holders a little bit for the shifter to work properly. The only thing I didn't hook up was the reverse lockout as it wasn't really a big deal for me. You just have to give it a little effort to put the car into reverse.. It shifts through all the gears amazingly and actually is pretty quick. It has had no problem outrunning a few Gt mustangs as well as a 370z, not that I race the car very often, however every so often somebody will rev at you at the stop light.. lol I haven't ran the car at the track, however I have no doubt that it would run mid-high 13's.

Interior:
The car still needs a little work here and there, but like I said I just use it as a daily driver and it does great. The driver side carpet is pretty stained up as you can see in the pictures and the thread in the drivers side bolster has come loose. There are a few pieces here and there in the interior that are not perfect, but it is complete and looks pretty good cleaned up. I would give it a 6.5-7 out of 10 cleaned up. Again I stress it really looks alot better once it's cleaned, I snapped the photos real quick before I left work tonight just to get the car listed. I might give it a good detail this weekend and retake the photos.

Exterior:
The paint is black in color and looks pretty good cleaned up, there are a few small scuff marks and chips here and there, but she still shines very well. I would give the body a 7.5 out of 10

Engine:
The engine is a bone stock l98. The previous owner told me he had put head gaskets on it a few years back as one of them started to leak. I have no proof to back any of this up.. The car starts religiously and doesn't overheat, so I have no reason to think he would have lied. I replaced the rear main seal as well when I did the transmission. There are no leaks anywhere in my garage where I park the car every night. I also put it on the lift from time to time just to check everything over. It runs through the gears strong, and has no skips/misfires/ticking. I have noticed if the car sits for a few days upon start up it will display a quick burst of smoke. However it has no problems firing up or has any abnormal oil usage.

Brakes:
The front brakes had about 10% pads left when I bought the car, So i replaced the front brake rotors and pads with the wagner thermoquiet pads. I also pulled the calipers off, cleaned them thoroughly and repainted them the factory silver/aluminum finish look.
At that time I also pulled the rear brakes apart to check on them, The pads were almost 80% life, so I resurfaced the rear rotors and put them back together, and also adjusted the parking brake. It stops great and the parking brake works great as well.

Wheels/Tires:
The wheels are the factory wheels, the front tires are probably around 65-70% tread and the rears are probably between 5-10%. I am currently shopping for rear tires, and if its a deal breaker I can put some tires on the back, as well as have the fronts rebalanced. They have a little bit of a shimmy 60-65 and it clears up after 70.

Suspension:
I lowered the car about 1.5" to give it a sleeker look and improve handling. This had to be one of the best appearance mods you can do on a corvette. I lowered the rear with longer bolts and lowered the front by trimming the rubber bump stops. The shocks have been replaced by the previous owner with monroe gas sens-a-matics and they work well. There is no play in any of the front end bushings and if you want to shake it down everything is tight.

Exhaust:
It is mainly stock, it has some muffler deletes that were probably installed long ago.. It hangs a little bit low and scrapes sometimes over bumps.. It could use a little work to get it tucked/cut and welded..

Stereo:
Sounds good, not going to win any competitions, but has good clean sound and works very well. I bought all of the speakers and cd player and brandsmart and spent almost 400.00
New $200 dollar alpine cd player with usb/aux/ipod hookups
polk db 5.25" in the front door
polk db 6x9's in the rear hatch panels.

Drivetrain:
This is the part I spent a lot of money on to make sure it wouldn't ever have to be fooled with again. Drivetrain is a 10 out of 10 with almost $3000 dollars invested
-T56 $1600
billet synchronizer keys
steel 3-4 shift fork
bronze shift pads
new bearings, input.output seals
New Flywheel $150.00
Ram replacement clutch from summit $350.00
Mcleod offset shifter - $300.00
New U joints 25.00
conversion crossmember for t56 swap in a c4 $150.00
Dakota digital sg-6 speedo box to calibrate speedo $100.00
t56 pigtails $35.00
new lt1 starter $150.00
new lt1 slave cylinder $40.00
new russels an lines from master to slave $75.00

The car is a blast to drive with all the low end torque that the l98 delivers, and red light to red light will surprise a lot of people. If I could afford to keep it and have a new z06 corvette as a weekend car I most definitely would. My asking price for the car is exactly what I have invested in it money wise. That doesn't include any of the labor for installing everything. I am just looking to get my money back out of it or at least very close to it. I have my own shop that I run and you would be welcome to looking the car over on the lift if need be. This will be a great car for someone looking to get into a corvette for a decent price and maybe do a few small things to it themselves. I've tried to be as honest as possible and have been meaning to list the car for a few weeks now, however I knew I was going to have to spend some time to type everything out as I try to be as honest as possible when selling a car. The gentleman that purchased my last 2001 c5 corvette has had nothing but great luck with it and has stressed how happy he was with everything through multiple emails.

Contact me at 770-280-five66one call or txt will be fine, and if I don't answer leave me a message and I will try to get back with you as fast as possible. I do not need any help selling the car.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
fade2blk500
Advanced

I guess I forgot to list a price.. I am looking for 7200 OBO. I am willing to entertain any reasonable offers, but please no low ballers.. I may take a trade + cash, depending on what is.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM
fade2blk500
Advanced

Price drop 6500 obo. Bought a z06 and need to get some money back in the bank!

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Corvette T56 73k miles black/gray

Quick Reply: 1987 Corvette T56 73k miles black/gray