Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

War story of buying a c4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:32 PM
timstl
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default War story of buying a c4

Just went through 2 month search of buying a vette, hopefully anything I learned will help sellers and buyers, not an expert (4th vette) but experience always helps.

If you are selling a vette forget NADA and KBB, market is not great now, buyers have the edge. There are some great cars out there if you even thought of buying one, now is the time

Make sure your car can stand up to some kind of independent inspection by a good mechanic, went through 5 different buyers who refused, 2 others who let me have done, and were shocked at 2000 repair bill to get car to pass state inspection. Way to many C4's out there, buyers aren't going to spend thousands to get your car drivable not matter how vaulable KBB says it is.

If you are selling your car on Craigslist beware, I would at least post it here at the same time. I lost out on 5 cars because the Craigslist email retroute did not work. had same problem when selling my commuter vehicle.

And for both buyers and sellers patience is a virture
Old 09-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Bulldogger
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Value isn't always based on what KBB lists or NADA, they are just average values based on previous sales. A lot of the value will depend on overall condition and modifications. Market is soft but it is also dependent on if what you have to offer is exactly what someone else is looking for. A 1996 LT4 yellow with 5000 miles and a Grandsport stripe sold for 19,000 on ebay. Way Way more then book values. Only true mark of a value of a car is what it is worth to you.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:32 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The main reason to avoid NADA and KBB when dealing with C4s is the values from them are wrong.

According to NADA my 1993 is worth about $7,800 low, $12,100 average, and $17,300 High. If I wanted to sell it I doubt I could get $5,000 for it.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 AM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyowner
The main reason to avoid NADA and KBB when dealing with C4s is the values from them are wrong.

According to NADA my 1993 is worth about $7,800 low, $12,100 average, and $17,300 High. If I wanted to sell it I doubt I could get $5,000 for it.

Agreed I had been trying to sell my 85 for 2k and all i've had is tire kickers looking for a ZR2 corvette with 50 miles lol so i just kept it
Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It took me well over a year to sell my 90 c4 vert, the car was very nice and could have passed any inspection process.

The problem was the lack of buyers with cash to buy the cars, because no bank is going to loan money on a 20 year old car.

My car did sell the buyer had the cash, he recognized the car for what it was, a very nice original car with 45K on it.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:03 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm still on the looking/researching side of things and figuring out my finances...
i think the problem for me is that the prices of C4s are all over the place and it makes no sense. there is no rhyme or reason to it.

i suppose just seeing this:
"75K mile 2005 C6 M6 for $15.5K!"

in another post makes me think: there are people trying to sell
C4s in this range...and i think: is your car really worth what you think?

i think the same when i've seen a couple of '97s in the 10K range.

btw...i did just notice that a 93 i drove at the beginning of summer, which was a nice car, well kept, had 60K miles on it, the dealership lowered it to below $9K for the price (lowered it a 1000)...thought that was interesting....as we head closer to fall/winter months!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Bulldogger
Racer

I just bought a 1995 with 23,910 miles on it. 6 spd with 4:10 gears Afr 1031 heads lt4 hot cam, cloyes double roller chain, crower roller rockers, meziere water pump, TPiS headers and stainless B&B exhaust, with zr1 chrome wheels. Paid 13,500, which is above book value, but still alot cheeper then it would have been to add in all those mods to a stocker.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM
C5_Shopper
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More regret for buying mine back in January. Now that the trans has a reverse issue, it's basically worthless. Hindsight being 20/20 I sure wouldn't have put the thousands into it I did.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
I just bought a 1995 with 23,910 miles on it. 6 spd with 4:10 gears Afr 1031 heads lt4 hot cam, cloyes double roller chain, crower roller rockers, meziere water pump, TPiS headers and stainless B&B exhaust, with zr1 chrome wheels. Paid 13,500, which is above book value, but still alot cheeper then it would have been to add in all those mods to a stocker.
That is because modifications do not add value and if it does it is a very small portion. My C6 had more in mods than you paid for your car. It was worth only a hair more than it would be stock.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Wow, you guys should really send some of that luck my way on the under-priced cars. I thought I did good paying $7k for my 77k mile '93 Ruby
Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 AM
C5_Shopper
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
That is because modifications do not add value and if it does it is a very small portion. My C6 had more in mods than you paid for your car. It was worth only a hair more than it would be stock.
It is in the eye of the beholder. Most people look for a stock car that has been well-maintained. Others (few in my experience) are seeking a purpose-modified car. A 500 HP C4 will not appeal to the former- and will be worth less than a stock one with high miles, while it will be worth more than a low-mile stock one for someone looking for that type of modification. As the first member said, it is a value to them since the sale price is less than the cost of them buying a stock car and modding it.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5_Shopper
It is in the eye of the beholder. Most people look for a stock car that has been well-maintained. Others (few in my experience) are seeking a purpose-modified car. A 500 HP C4 will not appeal to the former- and will be worth less than a stock one with high miles, while it will be worth more than a low-mile stock one for someone looking for that type of modification. As the first member said, it is a value to them since the sale price is less than the cost of them buying a stock car and modding it.
Agree on much, but do not lump all modifications into a single category. There have always been, and will always be, modifications that help the car. By that I do not mean just power, but to make the car actually run better because as we know, GM tuning is absolute garbage. They are "safe" but a one size fits all tune that leaves MPG's on the table and drive ability can suffer. And a 500 hp car is well, under-powered by today's standards and 500 hp does not equal purpose built. More power does not equal race car.

You are correct that it is all about the buyer and what they want.

That being said, I think most C4's are priced 20% too high for what they are. I just happen to really like them because it is what I grew up with and my first and second Vettes were C4's. Emotional attachments, I know.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 AM
C5_Shopper
Instructor

I agree on that. I "modified" a leaking radiator by using a dual core American Eagle unit. I've kept away from any performance mods to my C4, can't say the same for my same-year Trans Am that has a 383 forged low compression engine, rear mount turbo, Moser 12 bolt, etc. I'll never see the money out of it that was put into it. LOL, I should have said 1,000 HP.

Emotional attachment can result in illogical expenditures. I know if I were to find the motorcycle I bought brand new in 1981 I'd pay too much for it. To anyone else, it's just a 34 year old bike.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Bulldogger
Racer

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Not to a buyer who knows what they are looking at. If the mileage is low for that model year and the mods are done well with the right buyer you will do well.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Wow, you guys should really send some of that luck my way on the under-priced cars. I thought I did good paying $7k for my 77k mile '93 Ruby
I think you got a nice car for the price.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:22 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Not to a buyer who knows what they are looking at. If the mileage is low for that model year and the mods are done well with the right buyer you will do well.
Lots of "if" parts stars align.....but ts not easy.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch them mechanic check outs, they will nit pick and give big estimates on anything. A ten + old car will need tons of work according to the mechanic no matter what, and it will be mostly stuff you can let slide. The mechanic is also trying to get as much as he can from someone, inspecting a car for 75 a pop is easy work, no tear down or install required, just look at some key wear points every car has, write up a doom and gloom estimate, and you'll be back to him with a second, third, forth car to inspect. I had a guy bring me his Vette that the mechanic gave him a 5,000 dollar estimate (91 vert) to make road safe, I had him out on the road for 1,000 which included a nice used aftermarket exhaust he bought from me.

Get notified of new replies

To War story of buying a c4

Old 09-15-2014, 02:47 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Geardo

I think you got a nice car for the price.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1993C4LT1 - Yes, you did get a nice car for the price. I had an '88 offered to me for $2K. It only needed another $20K to turn it into a nice $5K car.

Condition is EVERYTHING in an older car.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM
timstl
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Y-ME
Watch them mechanic check outs, they will nit pick and give big estimates on anything. A ten + old car will need tons of work according to the mechanic no matter what, and it will be mostly stuff you can let slide. The mechanic is also trying to get as much as he can from someone, inspecting a car for 75 a pop is easy work, no tear down or install required, just look at some key wear points every car has, write up a doom and gloom estimate, and you'll be back to him with a second, third, forth car to inspect. I had a guy bring me his Vette that the mechanic gave him a 5,000 dollar estimate (91 vert) to make road safe, I had him out on the road for 1,000 which included a nice used aftermarket exhaust he bought from me.
True I have AAA and used one of their recommended ones. I was more looking for the water pump/optispark/intake leaks and transmissions. Also in MO we have to have a safety and emission inspection to drive. I had one dealer who had a nice CE that told me the AAA shop I wanted to have it evaluated at was too far. Told him google maps showed about 2 blocks. The one I did by the eval was right on, needed water pump and had them do opti spark at same time

Quick Reply: War story of buying a c4