Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

84 w/5200 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 AM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
first year of the c4 with 5200 miles. This car is something historic and special. 40k is reasonable as not many are left, and this is probably 1 of 1 with this low of mileage in an 84.
Really?

On a side note I saw a ZR1 with 973 miles on it for $34,900. Not that a car like that would compare with a 84 Crossfire, but just saying.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:34 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

first year of the c4 with 5200 miles. This car is something historic and special. 40k is reasonable as not many are left, and this is probably 1 of 1 with this low of mileage in an 84.
I have seen perhaps a dozen '84s with less than 10k in the past year. I also know of 2 '85s within 10 miles of my house with less than 8k. This is a 15k car tops.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 AM
58VetteBoy
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

this is all I'm going to say... http://jsmotors.com/viewDetail.cfm?ID=1714
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 AM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 85vegasvette
25k more and you an get brand new
No, you can't. They haven't sold new '84s in 30 years, and "brand new" won't have this car's historical status for another 30 years. A pristine example like this '84 C4, especially if it's optioned correctly, will be quite valuable at some point. Where's your historical perspective? People looking at buying new C7s aren't interested in historic collectables like this one...unless they're planning on keeping the '14 C7s like new for the next 30 years. Yes, even though the 2014 C7 probably has even more teething problems than the '84 did, it will still be historically valuable some day simply because it was the first year of a new generation. Forget the asking price for a moment and just think about what this car is: an essentially new, first-year C4. Even if it's not that valuable right now (arguable), it will be before too long. Of course, we don't know whether it's ideally optioned, but assuming it is...the only questions are: "how valuable?" and "how long?", and the answers to these questions, for the owner of this car, are: "quite valuable" and "right now". Anyone not interested is free to move on...

Originally Posted by sahhas
end of summer i was watching velocity tv (first time i had seen it), and they had that auction show. they had these really nice , pristine restored 60s corvettes, early 70s corvettes, classic muscles cars etc, most starting at 50K and up....then they rolled out an early 90s C4 w/ low mileage, and the starting bid was like $18K....i mean you could tell there is a difference in what folks think of the c4s vs most other models of corvettes/classic cars....not sure a c4 will ever retain "classic" status in the car world....
"Early 90s" C4s don't have any inherent historical significance...not the first year or last year of the generation, and no significant models...other than the early, less desirable ZR-1s. As far as C4 "classic" status, it's not a matter of "whether", it's a matter of "when". If you don't believe this, just look at what's happening to even late-model C3s right now. Who ever thought a late C3 would prove "desirable"?

Originally Posted by kimmer
40k will get you a used c6z or a very nice low mile C4 ZR-1
Or, it will get you this car. What's your point? If you might be interested in this car, give the guy a call and find out what the whole deal really is. What if it has celebrity provenance or something else like that? I have no idea what this car is worth, but neither does anyone else who's been dumping on it, unless they know all of the details...

Originally Posted by hippy
Really?

On a side note I saw a ZR1 with 973 miles on it for $34,900. Not that a car like that would compare with a 84 Crossfire, but just saying.
A ZR-1 isn't a first-year C4, yet it will probably always be true that ZR-1s, and to an at-least-equal extent, Grand Sports, will be worth more than other C4s. That doesn't mean that a pristine, ultra-low-mile '84 isn't worth good money as a "first-year" landmark car, though.

Last edited by 1analguy; 09-20-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

If anyone even tries to get good money for a C4, some guys on this "C4" forum start jumping off bridges or get their shorts all twisted up to the point of strangulation. If someone can get the good money, good for them. Would these same guys cry if someone offered them a high price for their C4? NOPE! They would say it was worth every dime of the high offer.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 09-22-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
If anyone even tries to get good money for a C4, some guys on this "C4" forum start jumping off bridges or get their shorts all twisted up to the point of strangulation. If someone can get the good money, good for them. Would these same guys cry if someone offered them a high price for their C4? NOPE! The would say it was worth every dime of the high offer.
I don't understand the attitude of some here. Could it be just simple jealousy...that someone's car is so much nicer or more significant than theirs that it still has some value, while theirs doesn't?

I've been watching the used Corvette market for over 40 years now. Within any generation, the desirable/significant models always have held much more value than the more common, "plain Jane" cars, but the C4 generation is unusual in that the first-year car was such a landmark break with the past. Even though the C4 (in general) is currently the bottom of the Corvette market, the first-year C4s should still hold some interest and value.

Here we are, 30 years on, and me having been a late C4 owner...when I see a pristine example of an '84 like this one at a show, I can't stop looking at it because it reminds me of just how revolutionary the car was at that time. We had been living with C2/C3s for 19 years, watching them slowly slide, from wild...to mild...to downright bland...and, ultimately, to downright old. And then, Whammo! The '84 appeared, and it completely exploded the notion of what a Corvette (hell, a car) could be. It was a total break with the past, trashing all previous concepts and practices, and beginning anew from a totally different frame of reference. It's interior/exterior styling, it's construction, it's materials, and it's features were all exotic, futuristic "dream car" stuff. Every single '84 that rolled off the line, no matter the option load, was capable of 1g cornering, 1g braking, and 150 mph! If you think about what else was available at that time, it wasn't just in a class by itself, it created a new class for itself. It was way more revolutionary than even the '63 C2 was in it's time, and that's saying something. Each generation that has come since, including the current C7, has been merely evolutionary in comparison.

So please pardon me if, when I see a perfectly-preserved '84, I think "that's really something special", because these cars just wreak of historical significance. They were amazing in their time, and so they still are today. This is the "historical perspective" that I was referring to in an earlier post. The market will recognize the significance of the first C4 soon, if it hasn't quite yet...
Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy
this is all I'm going to say... http://jsmotors.com/viewDetail.cfm?ID=1714
Exactly, who really knows how many are out there, but here is one with pictures and fewer miles selling for 24K less.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM
fl_799
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, not a question of 'what else' you can get for 40K. If somebody is looking for the very best, lowest mile example of an '84, its game on and price is no longer an object for the right example. Make mine a 4+3 with Z51.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Forum rules prohibit interference within a thread via comments in price so I will abide by the rules.
What I will say again is that if you are hoping to get an above average price for an above average car, you must present it correctly.

Not a single picture after weeks.
No reference to the score or judging sheets.
Nothing.
OP has not even bothered to update or improve his own thread.
This is far from the way to sell a quality car.

Did you really think that you would throw out a 40k price with no supporting information at all, and your phone would ring?

If you are still trying to sell it, why not try to sell it, rather than the half-a&$ed post you made.
Don't be offended by all of the comments, instead respond with what one needs to see in order to even consider your car.
I have seen bubble gum advertised with more effort and information than you have provided for what could be an exceptional car, but we will never know that unless you provide same.
Were you creating the ad to justify an insured value, or establish a price point for other reasons?
Lack of response or further info renders this ad useless.
Again GLWS, if you are even still out there.
Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Let's see.
New member this month
No description
no pictures

You have seen it, we have not.

Might as well just say "trust me"

Are you certain that this is the best way to market this car for sale?

Try a bit harder, and you might get somewhere, or not, your choice.

GLWS

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
Old 09-23-2014, 04:15 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 09-24-2014, 10:01 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Send it through the Mecum Auction.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
occupa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my 84 last December and have enjoyed driving it since.

Great car especially 30 years later.

I know all of its history both good and bad.

Good luck on your sale.

It will make mine worth more. A rising tide lifts all 1984s
Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

At $40,000 it's a steal. I am getting my inheritance money this month from the bank of Nigeria from a relative I did not even know I had. Cha-ching! Please tell me where to send the check.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Costis
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

Its a 14-15K car, to the right byer within a few years.
Respectfully
Costis
Old 09-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Quick Reply: 84 w/5200 original miles