Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1989 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:20 PM
Bill Meyer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1989 corvette

Looking a a couple of 1989 Corvette convertibles. Other than visual items is there anything I should be aware of when looking or test driving one for purchase? Both have approx. 90,000 + miles so I am not sure what will need replacing in the near future. Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an 89 coupe and there's no common problems I'm aware exist. The digital dash can give problems but is a fairly easy fix. Other than replacing the usual stuff, radiator, fuel pump, injectors, headlight gears, hoses and belts it's been a great car, 93K on it now. I did a 1565 mile trip in it last May and had a huge mega blast driving through the mountains.

But they all have their little quirks, yours may have issues others don't but they are 25+ years old and deserve to have up to date repairs and be well loved.

Rick
Old 07-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Bill Meyer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Rick, appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM
DATeem
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just got an 89 convertible with 68K. I think mine had done some "sitting" for quite sometime, probably in a garage but otherwise not abused. So far I have had to replace the alternator (went with a shop that built one). Had to replace a couple of vacuum lines and found an area near the battery where the insulation was rubbed through on the main positive cable. Am having the top/headliner/weatherstrip replaced ($1150.00). Need to have new exhaust end to end ($1000.00). Picked up a used heater control module ($30.00) because the current one is flashing and not working. Weather strip around the doors needing replaced. The right headlight motor is starting to act up so will need to fix that. Also need to replace tires as they are almost fourteen years old and even though tread is decent I think the sitting flat spotted them. Plugs need replace as the last guy put the wrong ones in. Will replace wires and cap/rotor at same time. Injectors appear to have been replaced. My point is to illustrate some of the things you may have to look at as I am finding what mine is needing is not uncommon. Oh, and I bought a shop manual to assist on the things I can do.
Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 corvette

Quick Reply: 1989 corvette