Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

86 Coupe, manual 4+3, Z51, 63.1k miles, Red/Red $5.5k

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM
SCOTTCM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 86 Coupe, manual 4+3, Z51, 63.1k miles, Red/Red $5.5k

SOLD

For sale 1986 Coupe, Red/Red, Manual 4+3, 63,200 miles, Z51, Glass Roof. Other option Codes: Power Driver Seat, Power Door Locks, Electronic A/C, Cruise Control, Delco-Bose Stereo, Rear Window Defogger. A picture of the ID Label is below. VIN 1G1YY0789G5106475.

I am the second owner and have owned it since 1988. I will be taking delivery of a new C7 in the next two weeks and while I may regret giving it up, I don't want to continue to maintain my C4 when I will have the C7 taking its place in my garage.

I believe it needs a new home with someone who can work on the car themselves because fixing leaks and ongoing maintenance of a 30 year old corvette will take some time, money or both.

The Good:
Drives very well. Strong engine. Drives, turns, brakes, shifts very well. Heater, A/C, radio, antenna, seats, windows, mirrors, lights work as they should. The car has only sat a month or more without being driven a few times. Quite good interior and the vast majority of the exterior looks very good. I have its full maintenance history. Largely an original car. I only changed out parts for maintenance. No accidents but I did bump the front driver side into a tree while backing up (see note below). All original glass with VIN numbers etched in.

The Bad:
Exterior: When I had the front bumper painted they polished through the clear coat on spots of the front of the hood (see picture). Small cracked area at driver front wheel from the tree that I bumped into (see picture, area was not repainted). The front and rear bumper's were recently painted (the clear coat had glazed over) and the color matches well, but not perfectly. Outside window weather stripping at the bottom of the windows have cracked.

Other: The electric door lock switches are bad. Multiple leaks: Valve covers leak again (they have been redone at least 4 previous times), oil pan, rear cover, front cover, steering per Chevy. After driving you can smell the oil trying to burn off and it will leave a few drops of oil on the ground. All shocks are original and Chevy tells me I should replace the rear. The dash and head lights will flicker a little when initially driving the car but this tends to goes away after being driven for a while (alternator issue?). 2 small (about 1/4" long ) cracks on the windshield that have been there for many years. The tires only have about 7000 miles on them but were put on the car in 2005.

I expect this will scare away most potential buyers, but I'm trying to be upfront. This is not a show car.

I took it to CarMax and a local classic car shop and was offered $4000 and $4500. Dealing with them would be fast and easy. I have never sold a car to an individual that I did not personally know. If someone wants to buy it for $5500 cash in the next few days contact me. To be frank, I don't want the possible issues of selling to an individual for anything less $5500. I am located in the Northern Chicago suburbs. To buy it you will need to bring cash and test drive the car.

I have greatly enjoyed this car for many years and until the C7 came out I really did not consider moving into a newer one. I have been back and forth on whether to sell it or not. I have reached my peace and plan to moving forward with selling it in the next couple days with or without a forum buyer. I'm not advertising it anywhere else. Thank you for your consideration. I tried to attache pictures, can't tell if that worked.
Attached Images               

Last edited by SCOTTCM; 03-18-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: car is sold
Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Nice looking car. You're not far off what u would pay for that type of car. I wouldn't go below $5,000 but j would take $5,000.

Enjoy the new toy. Looks like a nice life it will have. Honestly though, for that little of money. I would keep it. I get attached though. Lol
Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 AM
SCOTTCM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Car is sold

This car has been sold. If appropriate, I would remove this listing if someone could advise me how to do that.

Thank you.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 AM
Sean Brian Kirby
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't remove it! The car is beautiful. I have a black '86 Z51 car with silver leather, which I bought with 60,134 miles on the clock.

What's your C7 like?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

sonuds like a fair deal for all enjoy the new toy
Old 05-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by SCOTTCM
This car has been sold. If appropriate, I would remove this listing if someone could advise me how to do that.

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Coupe, manual 4+3, Z51, 63.1k miles, Red/Red $5.5k

Quick Reply: 86 Coupe, manual 4+3, Z51, 63.1k miles, Red/Red $5.5k