Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

buyer integrity

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 PM
redvetteman81
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default buyer integrity

You know I can't quite understand the mentality of some people that attempt to purchase or how they people contact individuals trying to sell there car. If you don't have the money to pay for the car you are interested in than don't waste the time of the sellers. I'm just saying!
Old 05-22-2016, 07:37 PM
SlingShotYellow
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts

Try this site. i have sold all my Corvettes in the past on this site i'm giving you below.

usedcorvetteforsale.com is the site.

Its tough selling a used car, i have been lucky enough to sell pretty quick even to out of state people. Just takes the first person to actually come out and see it in person and they will buy it.

Last edited by SlingShotYellow; 05-22-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:39 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetteman81
You know I can't quite understand the mentality of some people that attempt to purchase or how they people contact individuals trying to sell there car. If you don't have the money to pay for the car you are interested in than don't waste the time of the sellers. I'm just saying!
Seems like every used item even simple items have these crazy ppl.

I sold a brand new, never used guitar on CL that was $400 + 30 stand for 250 bc of I got low balled on the spot and the guy wouldn't budge on his price. I should have asked what price he had in mind before driving 45 mins to meet him. Wasn't worth my time to lose the 1.5 hr round trip and try to meet up w/ another buyer.

Same thing when I tried to sell different car. Was easily worth $29k maybe 27.5k for a quick sale and I would get guys offering 20k, 22k. Even when I'd say no they'd ask again! Joke.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Because everyone wants something amazing, at a cheap price. When it comes to sell, they want top dollar.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:26 PM
DavePlum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Seems like every used item even simple items have these crazy ppl.

I sold a brand new, never used guitar on CL that was $400 + 30 stand for 250 bc of I got low balled on the spot and the guy wouldn't budge on his price. I should have asked what price he had in mind before driving 45 mins to meet him. Wasn't worth my time to lose the 1.5 hr round trip and try to meet up w/ another buyer.

Same thing when I tried to sell different car. Was easily worth $29k maybe 27.5k for a quick sale and I would get guys offering 20k, 22k. Even when I'd say no they'd ask again! Joke.
In the future let the buyer come to you. Remember, you have something they want and if they lowball you (which they will) and you can just say no deal and walk away. Let them waste their time and gas and take that 45 minute ride home!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:17 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DavePlum
In the future let the buyer come to you. Remember, you have something they want and if they lowball you (which they will) and you can just say no deal and walk away. Let them waste their time and gas and take that 45 minute ride home!
True. We met about 60/40 me doing the 60% drive. I was like 20 at the time so I didn't think much in depth about the sale process.

Next time though
Old 05-23-2016, 05:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Because everyone wants something amazing, at a cheap price. When it comes to sell, they want top dollar.

Thats to be expected from both

OP what happened?

Always a buyer somewhere just have to be patient.
May get lucky with an impulse buyer or they fall in love at first sight. Selling sucks, so does trying to buy

(took a yr til mine sold)

When ya really want/need it gone lower it til someone bites otherwise let it sit

Out of curiosity looked up kbb on something I have (or had) for sale, low miles vs what it has now-75k less miles for example; wasnt worth that much maybe 1000-1500 difference tops?

Noone pays book anyway and with all the competition decided neither was worth selling, just let em sit

Last edited by cv67; 05-23-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can put a price on your car then stick with it, or you can start high then work your way down.

Be realistic no one is giving you 15 grand for a car, when they can buy one anywhere for 8.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I also get a lot of people who lowball or make a deal and then show up with an offer considerably less.

On one set of wheels I was even delivering them about 50 miles away and when we met he tried to drop $200. I was pissed. I had just driven an hour to help him out and he tries to back me down on price. I did not sell them to him. I will not drive to help out any more.

I had one for a nearly new lawn mower that I was selling cheap and asking for $40. The guy showed up and tried to give me $20 and said he would come back with the other $20. I expected he was trying a rip off and did not do it that way. He surprised me though and went got another $20 and came back and bought it.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 AM
JBRUSS
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I got a lot of the same BS right here off of the forum🙄Multiple trade offers, then " I have travel costs associated with buying from you" we'll find a car closer then lol I even had one person email me telling me they bought a car like mine cheaper. I ended up getting exactly what I was asking, but I had to deal with all the riff raff first👎
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've sold several cars on craigslist, Had to put with all the tire kickers luckily they were all on the phone. I sold the cars to the first person that actually came and looked for the price I wanted.

I found that if you price it right and you are truthful about what you are selling with the buyer there will be no surprises when the come to look. Also put or offer any pics they may want. I price them with at least $1k wiggle room.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 05-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:51 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Same here. I generally find people want too much for their cars, especially Corvette owners.

Im sorry, but C4s are just not worth the money most owners think they are. 98% of them are worth more parted out. When you can buy a 100k mile c5 for 10-12k why would I spend 8k on a 92? It's slower, does not handle as well, looks are subjective (I like both but prefer C4s), and the C5 is so easy to get more hp out of.

Also, if a dealer asks 8k I certainly wouldn't give a private owner 8k. I dont care what work you did to it recently to make it road worthy. Back to other things people try to sell. Sorry if you bought something and don't want it but you will not get the "new" price because it is not new. You own it and can't expect new prices for your stuff. Take the loss or leave it in the closet.

Sellers are just as crazy as buyers these days.

The C4 Market is comprised of who?
1. People who love C4s and have for years. Most of them are older.
2. People with not a lot of cash to spend. C4s have plummeted making them easy to buy for most people.
3. People who just want to say they owned a Corvette.
4. People who have an emotional connection with the body style.

That is a SLIM market to try and get big money for an old Corvette that they made a ton of.

There are always exceptions to the rule but they are the low production/high hp cars or very early cars with super low miles. I love C4s but the majority of C4s for sale, including this forum, are priced 25-40% too high. If they weren't they would sell. The market is determined by the buyers with old cars. If nobody buys them the seller either drops the price or keeps the car. Simple as that.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 05-24-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Well said

Things arent always what we want them to be worth
Pricing it by viewing others FS ads can have you sitting a long time with no action. What are they SELLING for its not always good news.

If I had an ultra low mi car sure start highish market the hell out of using various sites, start there you can always go down just dont get pizzy when people give you a reality check. Yeah there are some that are on mars or want to trade a stolen 10 spd and a dirty sock oh well

I really thought my truck was priced right in the middle... til i spent some time and saw what all the different book values were then dropped it down more as noone pays that (or anyone with a brain). Got an email from a CL'er that said when I come down to earth call him....well he was right.

So it sits...picking up a Dually from a member Thurs....not what I REALLY want but the price is too good to say no to...1/2 of real value
When my DD finally does sell Ill look for the best deal on a C4 or a smog exempt C3. In the meantime I may finally get to the track...woohoo!

Some guy just listed a sub 100k mi Z here for 12k or best so why would someone pay 15-20k for say an LT auto car-all that 1 of xxx who cares!

Just love the fact the avg guy can still go get a sports car on the cheap thats what I love about these.

Saw a MINT 1 owner 85 GT mustang under 100k for 4k.identical to one I had way back when that was stolen. Again another great bang for the buck wish I could find a way to get both endless choices out there.

Wheres OP what happened that upset him so much would like to hear.

Last edited by cv67; 05-24-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I would love to have a barn full of C4s.....seriously. I love driving them. I love working on them. Hell, I just love looking at them! My dad had one when I was a kid and he still does. I have had 4 of them and just smile when I drive them. I'm crazy, I know.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Probably something wrong wiht all of us that are on these forums every day. I love this disease, just have to afford it
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I would love to have a barn full of C4s.....seriously. I love driving them. I love working on them. Hell, I just love looking at them! My dad had one when I was a kid and he still does. I have had 4 of them and just smile when I drive them. I'm crazy, I know.
haha. I told friends I want to get a second C4 so I can completely garage queen the first one I got and they were like "Wow"

They just don't get it! Great performance, great looks (everyone I've shown the car to really likes it) and of course the price
Old 05-24-2016, 05:52 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I'd love to buy another C4. A 93 ZR-1 would be nice It really is a buyer's market right now.

Get notified of new replies

To buyer integrity

Old 05-25-2016, 01:42 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Everybody wants Corvettes for Mustang prices!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:05 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

The big issue is people who are time wasters. I would never show interest with no intensions of buying. This isnt the case for others.....

Life of the internet.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 PM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I contacted a guy on craigslist three months ago about a '78 SA car. I showed up on time, took a ride, agreed to terms. I came back an hour later with 1/4 down in cash. I came back the next weekend with the other 75% and rode off into happiness of 'Vette ownership. I love our SA L82 4 spd. I also got a great deal. Instead of other car projects, I decided to collect a C4 next either a '93 40th car, an LT4 car or a ZR1. I really wanted a ZR1 since it was a lust mobile for me when I was in college and the Navy.

Yesterday I contacted two ZR1 owners on this forum and nothing, crickets. Yes I asked for a better deal. Of course I did. Both cars are also far away which would require a lot on faith and an airline trip on my end. I'd do that for a forum member. It turns out my '78 purchase was from a stellar forum member.

Well today I contacted a dealer with a bit higher priced ZR1 3 hours away and I applied for some help from JJ Best. Well I got great terms and have all the paperwork in order. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to go see the car in person and if everything works out I will sign and driver her home and have Jr. follow me back.

Always reply to every potential buyer. You never know when you are passing on someone. By financing that allows me to keep my bullion and stocks where they are which I like. I was also willing to reallocate bullion and stocks in order to purchase from a forum member. I don't have to spend a day or two doing that now. Now I can actually buy more stock! Yeah!

In two or three years I will be adding a 50th anny C5 to the collection. I wonder if the C5 guys will reply.

Quick Reply: buyer integrity