Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1996 Grand Sport With DRM480 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM
flightmate
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1996 Grand Sport With DRM480 Engine - SOLD

Hey everybody, looking to sell my 96 Grand Sport. This car was ordered fully loaded from the factory, including the selective ride control shocks. Everything on the car works as it should. The car has just over 36,000 miles and has a clean title in my name. I am located near the twin cities in MN.

I am the second owner. When the car was new, the original owner brought it to Doug Rippie Motorsports here in Minnesota to have them build a motor for it. If you have not heard of them, DRM is one of the most respected Corvette specialty shops in the US and does amazing work. In order to make sure it could always be brought back to stock he had the original engine pulled, put on a rolling engine stand, and then had them build a forged 383 stroker using an LT4 block. The original engine is still on the engine stand and comes with the car (it has approximately 1,000 miles on it). The engine in the car has their DRM480 package with roughly 480hp and 480lb/ft. It has 35,000 on it. The car is fitted with ceramic coated shorty headers and retains the original catalytic converters and then finished off with a Flowmaster cat back exhaust. It was built back when MN was still doing emissions testing so I believe it would pass testing in any state that requires it. I have reciepts showing most if not all the work done. DRM also installed a 3.73 rear end.

The car is absolutely phenomenal to drive and because it was built right has required only routine maintenance during the past 6 years I have owned it. I did have DRM go through it when I bought it. They remembered the car and said it looked to be very well kept. They found nothing in need of attention. I have kept up on all the fluid changes using Redline products when applicable. It has had Redline oil used in the engine since day one and is change yearly. The tires are Nitto 555's and have around 8,000 miles on them. The brake pads have been swapped to Carbotechs. I can't remember the part name offhand. They make the car stop amazing, but do sometimes squeak a little. I put a new battery in it this summer.

The cars exterior is in very good condition with just a couple very small cosmetic flaws. I would rate it an 8 to 8.5. The car is not a garage queen it has been driven and enjoyed. The interior is also very well kept. The seats are free of rips or even much wear at all. There are no stains or smells other than leather. I would rate it a 9. I will gladly go over any areas of imperfection over the phone with anyone who is interested.

I have truly enjoyed owning this car and will hate to see it go, but there are lots of cars out there I would like to try and not enough garage space or money to keep them. I probably forgot some things, but have gone on long enough. If you have any question let me know. Thanks!

A couple of the engine specs I remember. For more you would have to talk to DRM.

383 cid LT-4
Callies crankshaft
Oliver rods
JE pistons
Dual valve springs
Ferrea valves
Manley roller rockers and pushrods
Ported cylinder heads & intake
58 mm throttle body

[URL=http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/flightmate/media/GS2.jpg.html][/URL

Last edited by flightmate; 05-09-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 PM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Very nice! I would jump on it if I had the cash. Good luck with the sale.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Absolutely beautiful ride. GLWS.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Are you going to be attending the 20th anniversary event?

I have a friend who is in the market and will be going with me. We are hoping there will be some Grand Sports for sale
Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 PM
flightmate
Advanced

I won't be able to make it to the event. Should be a fun time though!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 AM
flightmate
Advanced

Also comes with a nice indoor car cover.

Last edited by flightmate; 05-09-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:00 AM
handdoc
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

great car GLWS
list what # it is (last 3-4 # of the VIN)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM
flightmate
Advanced

Thanks! The car is #497.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

awesome car. wish i had the room
Old 08-23-2016, 11:06 AM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
awesome car. wish i had the room
Hey, I have the room....you can get it and park it here. Just be sure to leave the keys !
Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Register your GS with the GSR

Nice GS and I for one like the assortment of performance mods you've done on the car. I'm not a purist, obviously.

But why haven't you at least registered the car with the Grand Sport Registry? There is no cost to do so and registering helps us keep track of these very special Corvettes.

Would be even better, of course, if you became a GSR Member. At the very least you get free classified ads to help you find an enthusiast who would appreciate this GS.

You should bring it to our big Grand Sport 20th Anniversary event during Corvette Funfest at Mid America Motorworks next month. We're going to have an absolutely huge collection of Grand Sports of all generations there and it would be a great place to find a buyer. Or you might decide just to keep it.

Questions? Message or email me. Otherwise, good luck with the sale. She's a real beauty!

Last edited by Hutch; 08-24-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:34 PM
My85
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is This still for sale?
TIA

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nice GS and I for one like the assortment of performance mods you've done on the car. I'm not a purist, obviously.

But why haven't you at least registered the car with the Grand Sport Registry? There is no cost to do so and registering helps us keep track of these very special Corvettes.

Would be even better, of course, if you became a GSR Member. At the very least you get free classified ads to help you find an enthusiast who would appreciate this GS.

You should bring it to our big Grand Sport 20th Anniversary event during Corvette Funfest at Mid America Motorworks next month. We're going to have an absolutely huge collection of Grand Sports of all generations there and it would be a great place to find a buyer. Or you might decide just to keep it.

Questions? Message or email me. Otherwise, good luck with the sale. She's a real beauty!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:01 PM
flightmate
Advanced

Yep! Still for sale.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by flightmate
Hey everybody, looking to sell my 96 Grand Sport. This car was ordered fully loaded from the factory, including the selective ride control shocks. Everything on the car works as it should. The car has just over 36,000 miles and has a clean title in my name. I am located near the twin cities in MN. Asking $28,000.

I am the second owner. When the car was new, the original owner brought it to Doug Rippie Motorsports here in Minnesota to have them build a motor for it. If you have not heard of them, DRM is one of the most respected Corvette specialty shops in the US and does amazing work. In order to make sure it could always be brought back to stock he had the original engine pulled, put on a rolling engine stand, and then had them build a forged 383 stroker using an LT4 block. The original engine is still on the engine stand and comes with the car (it has approximately 1,000 miles on it). The engine in the car has their DRM480 package with roughly 480hp and 480lb/ft. It has 35,000 on it. The car is fitted with ceramic coated shorty headers and retains the original catalytic converters and then finished off with a Flowmaster cat back exhaust. It was built back when MN was still doing emissions testing so I believe it would pass testing in any state that requires it. I have reciepts showing most if not all the work done. DRM also installed a 3.73 rear end.

The car is absolutely phenomenal to drive and because it was built right has required only routine maintenance during the past 6 years I have owned it. I did have DRM go through it when I bought it. They remembered the car and said it looked to be very well kept. They found nothing in need of attention. I have kept up on all the fluid changes using Redline products when applicable. It has had Redline oil used in the engine since day one and is change yearly. The tires are Nitto 555's and have around 8,000 miles on them. The brake pads have been swapped to Carbotechs. I can't remember the part name offhand. They make the car stop amazing, but do sometimes squeak a little. I put a new battery in it this summer.

The cars exterior is in very good condition with just a couple very small cosmetic flaws. I would rate it an 8 to 8.5. The car is not a garage queen it has been driven and enjoyed. The interior is also very well kept. The seats are free of rips or even much wear at all. There are no stains or smells other than leather. I would rate it a 9. I will gladly go over any areas of imperfection over the phone with anyone who is interested.

I have truly enjoyed owning this car and will hate to see it go, but there are lots of cars out there I would like to try and not enough garage space or money to keep them. I probably forgot some things, but have gone on long enough. If you have any question let me know. Thanks!

A couple of the engine specs I remember. For more you would have to talk to DRM.

383 cid LT-4
Callies crankshaft
Oliver rods
JE pistons
Dual valve springs
Ferrea valves
Manley roller rockers and pushrods
Ported cylinder heads & intake
58 mm throttle body

[URL=http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/flightmate/media/GS2.jpg.html][/URL

She's a beauty reminds me of Digital Disasters car here in AZ also a DRM 480 GS #802

Last edited by Goldcylon; 09-14-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:27 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

It could help to update the price on your first post. Some people see the price on the first post and don't keep reading further. GLWS!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM
flightmate
Advanced

Thanks, will do!

Last edited by flightmate; 05-09-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Grand Sport With DRM480 Engine

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta love this car!!! I had DRM do an LT4 for me years ago and they helped me with a race car build. They do first rate work!!! If I had come across this before the 2500 mile 95 I just bought, I would be heading back to Minnesota. Best of luck with your sale!!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Digital Disaster
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I spoke with Doug shortly after I bought mine. I was told by the last owner that mine was the only GS done with the 480 package but Doug said he'd done two - nice to see the other one! Looks great!
Your price is extremely reasonable IMHO for one of the rarer C4 tuner cars in existence.
GLWS!
Old 09-22-2016, 10:16 PM
80L48vette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you put together a video of the engine running ?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 1996 Grand Sport With DRM480 Engine