Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Comments about trading for a ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comments about trading for a ZR-1

I usually spend my time on the C4 and ZR-1 forums, but I am considering the future of my ZR-1, and wanted to post here for comments/or proposals.

I have owned my ZR-1 for many years and it has been a wonderfully reliable car. see pictures at http://www.artcolleys.net/picturethumbs.htm ).

I have had the pleasure of putting about 60,000 on the car. However, I am an amputee, and as time goes on, I tend to drive the car more and more (hence the recent increase in miles on the car), and frankly, though I can do it very well, driving the car in day-to-day traffic with a prosthetic leg on the clutch begins to tire me. But the ZR-1 has succeeded in convincing me that I will always need to own a Corvette.

And there is the delima. Do I sell the ZR-1, and buy a C-5? Or does it make sense to just trade for a C5 if there is someone who has a C5 (perhaps more than one), but wants to add ZR-1?

I see people trade cars every now and then, and I love my car enough that if I have to go through the effort to both sell mine, and then buy a C5, I'll probably just keep mine.

But on the other hand, if some one is sitting there thinking about a ZR-1, and has a C5, then we should talk.

As C5 owners, even if you do not want a ZR-1 for yourself, any comments you have that would help would be appreciated. This is an initial exploratory inquiry, and I am open to any help from the Corvette community.

On the other hand, if you have had a ZR-1 in the back of your mind, then we need to talk.

Email at art689mail@yahoo.com

Kindest regards, Art in Baton Rouge (with a housefull of Katrina Evacuees!)
Old 09-09-2005, 03:34 PM
runwhatchabrung
Instructor

ZR1s are nice I miss my old one. I dont miss the repair costs.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Now there's a helpful comment.

My ZR-1 has been the most reliable car I have ever had. In fact the "ZR-1" specific items are known throughout the Corvette community for being bulletproof.

Regards
Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Art, as an owner of 6 C5s(2 Z06s), since '98, and ONE ZR-1 since '95. If you can somehow hold onto the ZR & get a nice, reasonably-priced '98 or '99 C5, you can have the best of both worlds for now.

I'd never sacrifice my ZR for a C5, as much as I love them. Heck, the C6 Z06 I want so badly will have to wait til they get more reasonable for me, even though I could sell the ZR & get one now; But, as I've always said: "they'd have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of it to get it away from me..."

Old 09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
cjz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You have something special there man.... I have had many cool cars including my current Z06 LPE 427, and Dodge Ram SRT/10. But I will have a ZR1 in the collection.....

Chris
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

First off,
Thanks for being so kind to others and giving them shelter. You are truly a hero. I would say that you would probably enjoy the C5, very different from a ZR1(obviously), but with your leg, the C5 WOULD be much more comfortable. I am sure you could find a fellow ZR1 owner to give you a drive if you get a itch to do so after you get a C5.
Good luck.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:28 PM
runwhatchabrung
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1991
Now there's a helpful comment.

My ZR-1 has been the most reliable car I have ever had. In fact the "ZR-1" specific items are known throughout the Corvette community for being bulletproof.

Regards
clutch not being one of them. The starter is put in a stupid spot. And watch out for the famous suck water up the gas cap If the drain orfus has anything blocking it. Other than that like I said I liked the car.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default !!!

If it was mine,i wouldn't trade it for anything on this earth!I would just get a second vette.I love zr1's,and i've never even owned one!I loved my 95 coupe though,and had it been a z,that would've been icing on my cake!keep it and get a c5,by NO MEANS trade it to a dealer.They don't appreciate a work of art like that!!!good luck.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:28 PM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 259 Likes on 76 Posts

First off, props for helping out in a tragic time.....

Secondly..... keep the ZR-1. It is the original king of the hill. I had 2 C4's and miss them both badly.

I would get into a low mileage C5 w/ an automatic tranny.... prices are getting very attractive and the entrance and egress are a lot easier w/ out the large frame sills.

Good luck in your hunt. Keep the Z.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 PM
HIGH_INTREST
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZR1991
I usually spend my time on the C4 and ZR-1 forums, but I am considering the future of my ZR-1, and wanted to post here for comments/or proposals.

I have owned my ZR-1 for many years and it has been a wonderfully reliable car. see pictures at http://www.artcolleys.net/picturethumbs.htm ).

I have had the pleasure of putting about 60,000 on the car. However, I am an amputee, and as time goes on, I tend to drive the car more and more (hence the recent increase in miles on the car), and frankly, though I can do it very well, driving the car in day-to-day traffic with a prosthetic leg on the clutch begins to tire me. But the ZR-1 has succeeded in convincing me that I will always need to own a Corvette.

And there is the delima. Do I sell the ZR-1, and buy a C-5? Or does it make sense to just trade for a C5 if there is someone who has a C5 (perhaps more than one), but wants to add ZR-1?

I see people trade cars every now and then, and I love my car enough that if I have to go through the effort to both sell mine, and then buy a C5, I'll probably just keep mine.

But on the other hand, if some one is sitting there thinking about a ZR-1, and has a C5, then we should talk.

As C5 owners, even if you do not want a ZR-1 for yourself, any comments you have that would help would be appreciated. This is an initial exploratory inquiry, and I am open to any help from the Corvette community.

On the other hand, if you have had a ZR-1 in the back of your mind, then we need to talk.

Email at art689mail@yahoo.com

Kindest regards, Art in Baton Rouge (with a housefull of Katrina Evacuees!)

How much do you want for it outright?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My advice, don't get rid of it if at all possible.

First option, get yourself a small, older, well built, *** automatic to drive 4 out of 5 days a week.[91 - 92 hond accord ] Then on Friday and the weekend you drive the ZR. This way you get the best of both worlds, You'll actuall appreciate the ZR even more than you do now and .... you get to keep the ZR.

Second option, buy yourself a nice automatic C4. After 40 years of driving a clutch, my knee just couldn't take it in the daily commute so when I got to buy my first vette 6 months and 7,000 miles ago I got this really nice looking auto. and you still get to keep the ZR.

These are better options than to trade it for an auto C5 (sorry guys no offence intended as it is your forum)

Get notified of new replies

To Comments about trading for a ZR-1

Quick Reply: Comments about trading for a ZR-1