Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Rarely Available Torch Red Convertable for under $20k

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rarely Available Torch Red Convertable for under $20k

1998 Torch Red Vert, with 6 Speed and F45 Real Time Selective Dampening

Well guys, it is with much regret that after all the love I have poured into this car its going up for sale.

$15,900.....I have it on craigslist for $17,800 but will give a discount to a forum buyer.

I found the deal of the century on a torch red C6 Grand Sport Vert, the only vette I love the looks of almost as much as I do this one.

I love the way this one looks more than the Grand Sport, but just can't pass up the deal on this C6, and the wifey won't let me have both.

Check out the car in my Garage here...also here is a summary:

I am the third owner, but the car was owned by one guy for 90% of its life and 95% of its mileadge...he painstakingly took care of her, as have I.

She has 117,000 miles and has another 200,000 left in her.

Overall is in great condition and perfect working mechanical order.

Is a daily driver or with very little work a show car or open topped track day car.....Its one hell of a curvy road rocket right now....never been tracked though I had asperations too...hence the Hawk Brake pads, MGW shifter, and Upgraded adjustable sway bars., and upgraded clutch....these mods completely updated the feel of the car and made it so much more in control around fast curves without comprimising ride quality.

Has very tasteful cosmetic mods that can be easily removed if you want a more stock look.

upgraded sport seats, both are power adjustable, in pretty good shape, very little scuffing etc.

MGW shifter

Upgraded F1 racing clutch rated at 550 HP and Torque (I did this to be able to handle some engine upgrades that I was going to do) This is an $1,400 upgrade that you won't have to make if you are going to mod the power.

Hotchkis Swaybars....handles like its on rails.

C6 18/19 inch wheels that look perfect on this car and will allow an upgrade to C6 Z06 brakes or some other "Big Brakes" package. Tires have 60% life left on 20-30k miles.

6 Speed M6 with F45 Real time selective dampening in good working order.

Top is in good shape...no leaking etc., and looks good

Did a paint rehab and is so shiny it looks like wet paint but with depth to it.

No electrical gremlins....have cleaned and well maintained every ground etc....needs new batteries in left side Tire pressure sensors.

I have had both coupes and verts in the C5...trust me....there is a reason why Vert envy exists

Send me a PM with any further questions

Best Regards, Steven

Last edited by steven31371; 08-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump, Price Drop

I bought the car at a steal for $13,500, and put over $5,000 into it getting everything up to snuff, a lot of it was stuff that rolled back the clock on the car to get it back to being on par with a much lower mileadge car. A general cleanup and rehab of the electrical system etc., the car had been remarkably well maintained when I got it, but I wanted the cleaness and reliability of a much lower mileadge car that would cost $25k $29k. Every fluid in the car was flushed and changed out with the best quality synthetics, every belt changed, every tensioner replaced, the power steering pump was replaced, metal end links for thesway bars were installed replacing the stock rubber ones, the common rocking seat issue was fixed....basically the whole car was given a thourough rehab to roll back the clock to better than new in most areas. The only maintence type upgrades that have not been done that I wanted to do was to replace all the rubber bushings in the driveline with modern poly bushings, but if you are not going to track the car the rubber ones are fine.

When we preemptively inspected the ABS module that often fails on these cars at high replacement costs the unit appeared to have already been replaced as it was super clean and in perfect condition, it works perfect etc, I even lock the brakes up once a week to keep the unit functioning well, which is a good tip I got here.

When I purchased the car I had a 3 day right of recission, so I took the car to the dealership and had them inspect it top to bottom, front to back...they were amazed at the mileadge becuase they said it was one of the cleanest best maintained c5's they had ever seen at any mileadge level...many of the guys there owned a c5 themselves and said they were jealous of my car. They recomended that I replace the power steering pump and fluids, and the clutch, which I did, but otherwise gave it a two thumbs up.

Remarkably for any C5 it throws no codes except for the Tire Pressure Sensor code on the left side that needs a battery replacement, and a door actuater code related to not having a key fob...though everything works perfectly.

I planned on keeping this car forever and wanted everything to last and be reliable fir the long hual. I wanted a reliable and high performing car for another 200,000 miles that looked and drive as good or better than new, so thats how I went about doing things. It frankly took a lot of discipline to take the time to do the "turn back the clock" stuff on the car before I dove into a supercharger or cam/heads mods....but I wanted to feel good about doing everything right on it.

The only thing I would do diffirent on the car is to take it back to a lower performing clutch IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO UPGRADE WITH A SUPERCHARGER OR CAM/Heads.

I discovered that I don't like clutch chatter, but thats something you have to live with if you are going to have a car with 450+ horsepower and torque. but if you have no intention of adding a lot more power to the car you might want to spend a few bucks going back to a lower rated clutch, but thats just me. (I'd keep the lightweight flywheel though, The faster engine acceleration is great!)

If you do want to add more engine power, well you already have a clutch that will handle up to 550 HP and Torque, in which case you will not mind a bit of clutch chatter.

So, I bought the car for $13,500 and preceeded to spend another $5,000 (about $18,500 total plus about 50-60 hours of personal labor) turning back the clock to make it every bit as clean and reliable as a car with 20,000 miles that go for over $25k....at $15,900 I lose a good amount of money, but you save over ten grand for a comparable C5.

Thats ten grand you can spend on your family or some pretty spectacular mods.

Its a great car in great shape, at a bargain price.

one final note, if you are not a fan of the cosmetic mods they can be removed in a few hours of easy labor, taking it back to a good as new stock look...if you have cash in hand I can do the work for you and have the car ready for delivery the same day.

Last edited by steven31371; 08-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Rarely Available Torch Red Convertable for under $20k