Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

ok let's cut the crap.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 11:44 PM
waytofastvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok let's cut the crap.....

I just spent 4 days of my life driving 12 hours and spending over $200 dollars just to go look at a corvette. That I was told was in very good condition. I get there and the car was beat. It took me about 10 seconds to know that I was not interested in this car. If only the owner would have told me the truth about the condition of the car.

Anyways had to vent. This is what i am looking for a very good condition 98-00 convertible with under 45 thousand miles with the six speed transmission I have cash and i am ready to purchase something just as long as it is in very good condition

Thanks ..... Craig Johnson :D

[Modified by waytofastvette, 3:45 AM 8/15/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 01:46 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,219 Likes on 3,460 Posts

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (waytofastvette)

If you mess with used or old cars for very long, you'll find this a common experience. Sorry, but a fact of life.

At least you didn't fly halfway across the country, land and look at a misrepresented pos, only to have the airlines go on strike and have to bus back! Welcome to the club! :yesnod:
Old 08-15-2002, 03:22 AM
threeimpalas
Instructor

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (Avanti)

I'm sure you already know this, but one suggestion I would make is if a car is more than a couple of hours away, have a fellow CF member who's near it go take a look at it for you. I did that when I purchased my last Impala and was really pleased on how it turned out. Their evaluation of the car was right on the money. Plus it saved me from having to drive 12 hours round trip.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:15 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (threeimpalas)

I agree!,
I used the free Corvetteforum Neighbor Locatorhttps://www.corvetteforum.com/ziplocator/locator.php
to have one of our associates :D take a look at a part I was buying to verify the picture to what was advertised.
Sent them an e-mail/IM with a short note on my request of them.
Worked out great!
Old 08-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Ross78
Racer

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE)

I know how you feel. I flew from NJ to Tx with a certified check to return home the no car.

You have to be patient and keep high standards. Keep looking close to home. Out of shear frustration this week, I reverted back to an old shopping technique. The Yellow Pages, I called 6-7 Chevy dealers in my area and found a one owner triple black 6 speed convert with 9,700 miles. The car looks NEW NEW NEW!

There are a couple of minor things wrong that they will fix and I can go back and pick it up once it's complete. If I don't like what they did, I come back the next day. There is going to be something wrong with any car you look at.

I drove 15 minutes to see it and I am buying it from a Chvey dealer so I can expect a little more service than a private buyer that is located hours away. I paid a little more than I wanted to but the low miles and convienance were worth the bucks.

Keep looking you will find something. People will be returning from vacation in September and you should see a few more avavilable. If you asked me on Tuesday morning if I would have a car by the end of the week, I would have said probably not.

The only way you can make a good deal is if you can walk away. It's hard to walk away when you are far from home.

My cousin is a used car salesman he once told me that "there is an butt for every seat". I guess there is a seat for every butt too. Everyone selling a used car IS a usedcar salesmen. They don't care how far you are travelling and probably will not tell you about problems over the phone.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:52 AM
Scott01C5
Pro

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (Ross78)

I feel your pain, about 3 years ago I drove from Atlanta to Jackson MS to look at a 94 Cobra that a guy was going to make one heck of a deal on. I decided I couldn't pass it up, went to the bank, got the money, and drove 7 hours there. I waited at the guys house for almost an hour before I finally gave up on him and went home, spent 15 hours of driving for nothing. I get home and the guy called my answering machine screaming at me for not showing up and how he left work a little early to meet me and I never showed. I called him back and said what kind of a joke are you playing, and told him that I was at his house at 2pm as planned and waited for nearly an hour, he told me that he was there right at 2 and was home the rest of the day. Well, intellectual me forgot about the timezone difference, they are 1 hour behind and I really got there at 1, and left at 2.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:41 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (Scott01C5)

IMHO, with so many new/used Vettes available, why would anyone have to make a multiple day/multiple mile "road trip" to find a good Vette? :crazy: Only, to get burned/disappointed. :yesnod: I live in NJ. And, I can't go around the corner without seeing a Chevy dealer with half a lot full of new/used C5s. :confused:
Old 08-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Scott01C5
Pro

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (89L98)

IMHO, with so many new/used Vettes available, why would anyone have to make a multiple day/multiple mile "road trip" to find a good Vette? :crazy: Only, to get burned/disappointed. :yesnod: I live in NJ. And, I can't go around the corner without seeing a Chevy dealer with half a lot full of new/used C5s. :confused:
I agree, you might pay a little more money, but you get the car you want and not have to hassle around trying to find that once in a lifetime buy. I know my time is worth money and would rather take a small loss on the car to conveniently/quickly sell it, or pay just a bit more to not have to drive all over the southeast just to try to score a deal.

Old 08-15-2002, 12:00 PM
paid4c4
Burning Brakes

Craig;
I certainly agree with your comments, why not be truthful to begin with.
I have a C4 currently listed for sale and I went out of my way to list it honestly and correctly. If someone was traveling to see the car I would
welcome a third party to view and grade the car. Truth in advertising and selling cars is sure needed!
Bill :) :)
Old 08-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Ross78
Racer

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (paid4c4)

Scott01C5's comments are right on the mark. I learned this lesson the hard way. This is usually how I learn my lesson's, but this one was more painful than usual!

The internet is a great tool, but local avertising and yellow pages are probably a better source of finding what you want.

The internet makes everything seem like it's right there in your living room (or garage), but it is hard to make a C5 type purchase site unseen. If you can gamble with that much money you probably can afford a new one from a local dealer anyway.

Why bother? I am sure there have been exceptions to this rule, but it's not fun when it doesn't work out.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:23 PM
FastC6Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It amazes me what people think what "Excellent Condition" is.

Usually, the car is in fair condition.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:02 PM
DrTrizzay
Heel & Toe

Try this one.... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=343793

:eek: OOps sorry... You are looking for a convertable. :crazy:

[Modified by DrTrizzay, 4:04 PM 8/15/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 05:37 PM
rrleggat
Advanced

I have a vert for sale, 2000 silver, black, black, 10000 miles 6 spd. loaded!
rrleggat@hotmail.com or post
Old 08-15-2002, 06:57 PM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,572 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Craig...

I feel for you, but as has been pointed out already, this is part of the game, be it cars, motorcycles, boats, etc. I can't keep track of how many times in my life I've gone on those wild goose chases. And was as upset as you are..at first. Now that I understand the game, I generally won't jump on something that seems to be such a great deal the second I see it. I'll get pics, a local to check it out if I can, etc. But I think I'm more seduced by the "trip" than anything....Sort of a chance to find that piece of treasure in a haystack full of feces. All those hours on the road give you a chance to imagine the car in all of it's glory. By the time you get there, you can't help but be disappointed...:) Since I'm mostly looking for old cars, I generally end up travelling back empty handed...but still thinking of the next treasure hunt trip..:)

On a side note, I traveled from CA to Kansas to buy my "used" '01 coupe, and actually found that treasure, and the trip home with the vette was so sweet, that it made up for ALL of the failed trips in the past. So, I guess I'm trying to say to savor the hunt, expect to come home empty handed most times, and when you ARE successful, you'll enjoy it far beyond those day dreams!!!

hth
Old 08-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (paid4c4)

Craig;
I certainly agree with your comments, why not be truthful to begin with.
I have a C4 currently listed for sale and I went out of my way to list it honestly and correctly. If someone was traveling to see the car I would
welcome a third party to view and grade the car. Truth in advertising and selling cars is sure needed!
Bill :) :)
It is not worth it to fudge on the condition of your car. You want to sell it, tell the truth about it. I had a fellow Vette owner look at my Pace Car for a friend of his. He looked it over and said it was exactly as I described. Unfortunately, the buyer lived in KY and didn't want to spend 10k, plus transport. Oh well, his loss.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:39 AM
jeff69
Racer

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (89L98)

Well I searched for quit some time around my area and always come up empty handed for the Vette I wanted, I drove 7 hours from Hattiesburg, Ms. to Atlanta, Ga. and got a good deal on my 2001, ZO6 !!
(just got back yesterday)
Just can't find one around these parts, and if I did these idiots would think that they had to sell it at a New Vette Price thinking that they had the only one!
Jeff

[Modified by jeff69, 11:41 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Check the for sale listings right here on the Forum... Lots of cars for sale, and a good chance you will get an honest description. I bought mine on eBay (believe it or not), and it was totally as described... not a scratch. I believe timing is everything.

Get notified of new replies

To ok let's cut the crap.....

Old 08-18-2002, 03:32 AM
Swimmer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be mad also, even though I understand that their is always a risk involved when shopping for used cars. I spent $1200 to fly from Hawaii to Orlando to look at a used corvette. Luckily it worked out and I bought it. I would have been really :mad if the owner had lied about the condition.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:14 AM
waytofastvette
Drifting

Default Re: ok let's cut the crap..... (sd pacecar)

ironicly enough the car that i went to go look at was a 98 pace car
Old 08-18-2002, 02:06 PM
jmain
Instructor

This is what i am looking for a very good condition 98-00 convertible with under 45 thousand miles with the six speed transmission I have cash and i am ready to purchase something just as long as it is in very good condition

Thanks ..... Craig Johnson :D

Craig, check this one out: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?&id=367402

[Modified by waytofastvette, 3:45 AM 8/15/2002][/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: ok let's cut the crap.....