Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Looking for C5 for sale around $10,000 Advice as well

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 PM
XSVchild12
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for C5 for sale around $10,000 Advice as well

So, my plan is to drop around 10,000 for a C5 corvette.
Most i see are 8k-30k based on mileage.

I need it to be close to $10,000

Specifications
-Good condition inside and out, meaning functional, no major work needed.
-Manual Transmission, this wont be a daily driver unless i really want it to be, so I would rather wait for a car that is manual, instead of buying a cheaper one even though its an automatic. Manual trans are also cheaper in general so, would that preference help me?
-Mileage, nothing ridiculous, as in 150k+ 100k+ is fine, but i want it to be all good internally, i can handle maintenance, but i dont want to be replacing parts.
-Mods are cool with me, aftermarket parts are fine as long as its not some rice(ish) parts found on ebay. This car will not be sold for a long time, so i will be modding it with time. I will be looking around to find what others have done as far as mods. But advice is always welcome!
This will be my first sports car, and as a younger driver, i want this to be a special car. A picture of a C5 has been in my room since i was 8, so buying a C5 would be better then being handed a GTR.

I live in Massachusetts. Im not looking to buy now, but im looking for advice on where to go, how to go about it, and if people would be selling for around that price.

Also, going to a dealer or craigslist is fine, but how good of an idea is just asking people i see that drive a C5, My thought process is, it couldn't hurt

Any words would be appreciated, Thanks

Last edited by XSVchild12; 06-16-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:12 AM
FSM81
Cruising

For $10k you are most likely either going to find one that needs work or has higher mileage than you want. For what you are looking for, you probably need to spend close to $12k if not more. They do sell for under $10k, but those aren't usually what you described.

If you start just asking people to sell you their car cheap, you are going to annoy the heck out of a lot of people. I wouldn't do it, but people do that kind of thing. I would suggest you NOT do that unless you are at some kind of car event.

If you are young, I assume that you already checked on insurance on a C5. I've put off getting one in the past because of how high insurance was. I'm older now, but it's still stupid high IMO.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 AM
JargonGrinder
Advanced

Originally Posted by FSM81
For $10k you are most likely either going to find one that needs work or has higher mileage than you want. For what you are looking for, you probably need to spend close to $12k if not more. They do sell for under $10k, but those aren't usually what you described.

If you start just asking people to sell you their car cheap, you are going to annoy the heck out of a lot of people. I wouldn't do it, but people do that kind of thing. I would suggest you NOT do that unless you are at some kind of car event.

If you are young, I assume that you already checked on insurance on a C5. I've put off getting one in the past because of how high insurance was. I'm older now, but it's still stupid high IMO.
I was afraid of this myself (in my twenties) but after checking I'm excited because my insurance rates will both go down and my gas mileage will go up from my 08 R32 lol. Now I just need to find the right Vette!

OP, make sure to check out eBay too, you can find some interesting deals.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 AM
5thgenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People who tell you that the coupes or FRC's aren't sub 15k cars for good examples are out of touch with reality, the only ones that fetch more have full service records 1 owner etc etc. for 10k it won't be hard to find one with around 100k on the clock, if you can buy out of state look in florida there are tons for that price on craigslist
Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 AM
NJ Torque
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can find good deals. (some on this forum included) but most are still holding on to the torch thinking these are still worth good coin.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:23 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Automatics actually have lower sticker prices that manual cars. The manual transmission was a paid option on the C5.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...4-10k-obo.html
Old 06-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Brad055
Heel & Toe

I have been searching/saving for a C5 for about 3 months now. In all of my research, the good and maintained C5's between 50k-120k miles are all around $15k give or take. Z06's with average miles seem to be $18-25k.

Auto transmissions seem to be a bit cheaper. FRC's, 6-speeds, or white colored C5's all seem to be a little more expensive. As with you i'm also in my 20's and looking for a C5. I've owned a GTO, Trans Am, and several turbo japanese sports cars but have wanted a C5 for as long as i can remember. Good luck in your search!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Vetteforlifee
Intermediate

I wouldn't waste your money, save 5k more get you a really nice one! Anything around 10 is going to need 3-4 k in work done anyway, the motor is stronG no doubt, but everything needs to be replaced around 100k miles, it's really not a quality car, just a great engine a name brand that everybody buzzes about. I got my 04 with 60k miles on it for 14,500, love the car but realize the quality really isn't there
Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I sold a very very clean 98 coupe 6 speed with 49,000 on it for 14000 this spring. You don't need to be at 15 for a clean low mileage vette.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:51 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought many C5 corvette's and have never paid more than $10k for any of them. I've bought blower cars for $10k including a 2001 Z06 with an ATI kit. It can be done, they pop of randomly and you have to be able to go buy them as soon as they pop up or someone else will. Frequent craigslist and be willing to travel a few hours or more. None of the cars I've bought ever needed thousands of dollars worth of work. I just recently bought a 99, 6 spd, 140k miles, clean title car for $6200, I did have to replace the transmission but that cost me $1000 out the door with a warranty. No labor cost involved because I did it myself.

You can see some of the cars I've bought on here and I have an old for sale thread somewhere on here of a A&A supercharged, 6-speed car I bought in 2013 for $10k. The car has 135k miles at the time. They can definitely be bought for 10, all these guys asking retail and retail plus some are sitting on these cars for weeks, months and sometimes a year or longer.

I buy LS cars often and sell cars for a living, lots of the deals I find are "once in a blue moon" type deals, in my area, I'm in the Midwest though, areas like south Florida, southern California, Houston etc. have TONS of these cars floating around.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Ishootscore
Intermediate

Thanks Nasty98...
Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

OP, I think you should hang onto your dream. C5s with 100K+ on the clock are not far from the $10K price tag your looking to spend. I've seen a few around here, but they're nasty. However, $12K asking price brings several into the picture. If they sit on it long enough, and if you bring cash, $10K might get it done.
Keep in mind, prices fall in the fall and rebound in the spring. Four to six months from now will be the best time to find a bargain.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:24 PM
XSVchild12
5th Gear

So the verdict is?
Yes its possible, but spending a few more bucks would be worth it for a lower milage.
Stay on craigslist and keep looking for new cheap updates.
If i buy one cheap i will most likely have to put new parts into it.

But this is all ok! Im planning on buying in the fall so thats good.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:30 PM
C5 Z06 kid
Advanced

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bo-so-cal.html

Let me help you out. This is not my car, but I saw it for sale a few threads above yours. The owner is asking $11,000.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:26 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the bottom line is "ya get what ya pay for" Ive looked at dealers and private party which is a double edged sword, buy from a dealer and they pay the tax, buy private and you pay it, so that's something to keep in mind, that stinkin tax is a killer and has turned me off when making a deal, so try to find something where the tax amount is doable, uncle scam always gets his "or trys to" so play it kool

Like some here have said, you aren't gonna find anything under 12K that's not gonna need something replaced/fixed. Which brings up another point, are you comfortable buying something that hasn't been inspected or are you able to find a problem and fix it yourself?

Another point is "location" Ive seen more good deals ata 800 mile distance than 300, but they seem to be getting better ata closer distance. Just seen one 300 miles away that had 87K for 13K but got an email from the person saying theyd go 12K. As always the seller claims the vehicle is in excellent condition, sometimes but not all that can be taken with a grain of salt, seeing is believing so don't always go by the sellers description try to go by your gut and ask alotta questions to the owner and here on the forum.

Last edited by lectroglide; 07-07-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:48 AM
nitro21
Advanced

Sent you a PM
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

If U look hard enough and/or bargain hard enough you might be able to get into a C5 Coupe at your price once it hits 100K miles. Excluding a Z06 or FRC.

Sample - There's a nice looking TR 98 Coupe w/218K...ad says runs like a champ for 9K. Has Z06 wheels & aftermarket exhaust.
Craigslist for Draffensville, MO.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for C5 for sale around $10,000 Advice as well

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 PM
XSVchild12
5th Gear

is there anyway to make car shopping easier. The forum is eh due to limited info given without opening every post.
craigslist is decent but the range of search is small and tedious.
ive tried different web sites but i know those dont list most cars for sale.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XSVchild12
is there anyway to make car shopping easier. The forum is eh due to limited info given without opening every post.
craigslist is decent but the range of search is small and tedious.
ive tried different web sites but i know those dont list most cars for sale.
I'd increase your budget. I am selling mine for $14,500 or best offer. I have 109,000 and just spent a ton of money on its 100,000 tune up. It runs awesome and needs nothing. I'm negotiable but would never sell it anywhere near 10,000. I'll just keep it although I really don't want 3 Vettes, the maintenance is a pain to keep up with.

I just think you get a much better vette in the 13-15k range. If you get a car that needs work, it all adds up quickly as in $$$$.. Plugs, wires, coils, sensors, brakes, tires, abs...... weatherstrip. Make sure you know what you are getting. A good deal is not always a good deal.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-with-hud.html

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 09-04-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:27 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
OP, I think you should hang onto your dream. C5s with 100K+ on the clock are not far from the $10K price tag your looking to spend. I've seen a few around here, but they're nasty.
I started out looking at cars in the 10-11k asking range. The majority had big flaws like keyed paint, acid damage under the battery tray, thrashed seat foam, oil leaks, warning lights and unknown maintenance histories. I did see one beautiful 00 automatic with 64k mi for 11.5 on CL but it sold before I had my funds, and I really wanted a 3 pedal car.

I've seen a few good looking cars for 9-10k but they had really high mileage, a 98 nassau blue with 175k for 9k on CL. Or that TR car someone mentioned with over 200k.

A few months ago, someone on the forum said they sold their mint TR 99 MN6 with only 40k miles to their mechanic for 10 grand.
So there are some awesome deals out there, if you get lucky.

Quick Reply: Looking for C5 for sale around $10,000 Advice as well