Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 06:36 PM
0KERBECK CORVETTE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection.

General Motors will offer to the public one of only three pace cars built for the 1998 Indianapolis 500. This is the car that was driven by Panelli Jones, winner of the 1963 Indy 500. In the Corvette community much is made about documentation. Here is a rare collectible about as well documented as it gets. This 98 Pace Car has to be in my opinion among the top 10 rarest, most collectable production, C5s ever built and made available to the public. What will it bring, your guess is as good as mine but Ill be watching.

Whats the rarest of the rare production C5s?

One of the rarest C5 Production Vettes might not exist yet. I believe the last C5 to come off the line in Bowling Green will be a top 10 contender, and wouldnt it be spectacular if the last one was a Z16, or pace car convertible. Surely VIN# 1, the first 1997 production C5 is a canidate for the list. The first and last production C5s, two historically important milestone Corvettes.

Factory production one offs that were available to the public.

2000 Platinum Purple Corvette
This 1 of 1 built Coupe is rumored to have been sold at Bloomington Gold for between $140k and $170k.

2003 Gold 50th Anniversary Corvette

Will Cooksey Corvette plant Manager and team were the brains behind this unique 1 of 1 corvette coupe. The car was built to be used as a fundraiser for the National Corvette Museums 50th Anniversary Celebration. It was raffled in the NCMs "Going for the Gold" Campaign. Special Gold Paint, Special Graphics, Z06 Brake Ducts and Z06 mesh grilles came from the factory on this standard coupe. Its signed under the hood by the entire Bowling Green team that built the car including GM Vice President Dave Hill. Special Gold 50th Anniversary cross flag emblems adorn the hood and deck.

Is this the mother of all 50th Anniversarys? This rare C5 was significant enough to be deserving of not 1 but 2 gold bodies. Thats right, In addition to the gold body on the car this car came with a complete extra gold body. Is that a first?

Yes I am attached to this vette, well almost attached, the car sits on the floor
Next to my desk in the showroom and is one of the significant Corvettes in the Kerbeck Collection here in Atlantic City. A self serving plug, yes, but never the less the gold 50th anniversary vette is one awesome C5.

2003 Earnhardt Signature Edition Z06. Color black of course. This car was used as a fundraiser and raffled off at the NCM.

Navy 1998s 14 Built - Myth or reality?

I spoke to my friend Sonny Kilgo about the infamous Navy 98s before he retired from the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green. Sonny extremely knowlegable on C5s had access to C5 files at the plant. Sonny said he never saw a Navy 98, Ive never seen one either, Have You?

Aztec Gold 98s (12 Coupes - 3 Convertibles)

The unofficial story is these cars were to be painted as a test to check out the paint as a possible color for 50th Anniversary Corvettes. The color was rejected, all 15 cars were driven as GM company cars and then sold to Chevy Corvette dealers. Kerbeck as the no. 1 Corvette Dealer in the nation was offered the first of the 3 Aztec Convertibles built. This car was Will Cookseys company car demonstrator and was sold to us from GM with only 5000 miles. This car has only been driven 12 miles since we aquired it from GM and is part of the Kerbeck Corvette Collection on display at our dealership.

Three 2002 Convertibles in Speedway White with Torch Red Interior and special graphics were used as track and festival cars during the 2002 Indy 500.

2002 33 Millennium Yellow and 33 Quicksilver Festival Cars, all convertibles, were produced and decorated with 2002 Indy 500 Logos and American flags.

1997 Fairway Green
The 1997 fairway green coupes numbered only 155 units, making them one of the lowest color runs in the fifth generation.

1998 Medium Purple Pearl Metallic
381 of these purple coupes and convertibles were produced.

There must be rare C5s that slipped through the factory system that were special built for GM officials and high profile sports figures, entertainers, and VIPs.

Now with the C5 nearing the end of production its time for you folks that have been sworn to secrecy about a special built C5 to let the rabbits out of the hat.

What C5 secrets do you know about?
What do you think the top ten rarest Factory production C5s are?

NOTE - In my choice of rare C5s I listed factory production cars that were available to the public. There are many other extremely significant C5s including race cars, prototypes, etc.

Kristen at Kerbecks

[Modified by KERBECK CORVETTE, 6:45 PM 3/13/2004]
Old 03-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (KERBECK CORVETTE)

I don't know of any additional special Vettes, but I very much enjoyed reading your post. I hope to someday visit Kerbeck just to look at the special cars on display. :cheers:
Old 03-13-2004, 10:01 PM
New N96
Advanced

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (KERBECK CORVETTE)

Inappropriate comments deleted -- savewave
Old 03-13-2004, 10:18 PM
02quicksilz06
Instructor

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (New N96)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 03-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I enjoyed your post. :thumbs:
Old 03-13-2004, 11:36 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:thumbs: :cheers:
Old 03-14-2004, 12:44 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Kristin,

In my humble opinion, you don't have a clue what makes a Corvette (or any other car) collectable, or worth buying. Just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (63Corvette)

Kristin,

In my humble opinion, you don't have a clue what makes a Corvette (or any other car) collectable, or worth buying. Just my opinion.
:rofl: :iagree:
Old 03-14-2004, 03:15 AM
New N96
Advanced

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (Jeffvette)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:cheers:
Old 03-14-2004, 03:46 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Kristen this information will be useful for tracking these special vehicles. Years from now people will have a referance that is knowlagble and firsthand.
Thank you for taking the time to make the information public.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:08 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (1979toy)

If, as you say, Kristen has no clue what makes a car a collectable, then what information do you experts offer? I, for one, enjoyed her post. The information regarding the lack of any '98 NBM cars was news to me. I had always thought the General made about 15 of them!

I view this post as information and we are always interested in good solid data. How say you experts?

[Modified by jluke, 8:08 AM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 08:32 AM
ToplessSpiral
Burning Brakes

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (63Corvette)

Kristin,

WTF :confused:
Old 03-14-2004, 08:32 AM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (jluke)

I enjoyed reading the post. My opinion is that Kerbecks do very much know the Corvette industry, history, and heritage of the cars. They attend all the major shows, own some very desirable collector cars, and sell a ton of Vettes. I never delt with Kristen, probablly never will, but I did appreciate the post for what it was, an interesting topic.

:cheers:

[Modified by fastfun, 7:33 AM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 09:14 AM
dizzzzy
Pro

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (fastfun)

I agree... Great post, alot of useful information. I would buy a new corvette from kerbecks, but just not a used one... Way out of line on thier used corvette prices. Thanks again for all the information!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:34 AM
JLLACO
Racer

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (dizzzzy)

I almost purchased a 98 NBM in 99, it was in Ohio. I opted to go with a 99 instead. I did happen to ask a corvette collector/ reseller if the 98 would be considered rare, he said "no". I guess color alone does not make a car a "collectible"
Old 03-14-2004, 10:21 AM

General Motors will offer to the public one of only three pace cars built for the 1998 Indianapolis 500. This is the car that was driven by Panelli Jones, winner of the 1963 Indy 500. In the Corvette community much is made about documentation. Here is a rare collectible about as well documented as it gets. This 98 Pace Car has to be in my opinion among the top 10 rarest, most collectable production, C5s ever built and made available to the public. What will it bring, your guess is as good as mine but Ill be watching.

Whats the rarest of the rare production C5s?

One of the rarest C5 Production Vettes might not exist yet. I believe the last C5 to come off the line in Bowling Green will be a top 10 contender, and wouldnt it be spectacular if the last one was a Z16, or pace car convertible. Surely VIN# 1, the first 1997 production C5 is a canidate for the list. The first and last production C5s, two historically important milestone Corvettes.

Factory production one offs that were available to the public.

2000 Platinum Purple Corvette
This 1 of 1 built Coupe is rumored to have been sold at Bloomington Gold for between $140k and $170k.

2003 Gold 50th Anniversary Corvette

Will Cooksey Corvette plant Manager and team were the brains behind this unique 1 of 1 corvette coupe. The car was built to be used as a fundraiser for the National Corvette Museums 50th Anniversary Celebration. It was raffled in the NCMs "Going for the Gold" Campaign. Special Gold Paint, Special Graphics, Z06 Brake Ducts and Z06 mesh grilles came from the factory on this standard coupe. Its signed under the hood by the entire Bowling Green team that built the car including GM Vice President Dave Hill. Special Gold 50th Anniversary cross flag emblems adorn the hood and deck.

Is this the mother of all 50th Anniversarys? This rare C5 was significant enough to be deserving of not 1 but 2 gold bodies. Thats right, In addition to the gold body on the car this car came with a complete extra gold body. Is that a first?

Yes I am attached to this vette, well almost attached, the car sits on the floor
Next to my desk in the showroom and is one of the significant Corvettes in the Kerbeck Collection here in Atlantic City. A self serving plug, yes, but never the less the gold 50th anniversary vette is one awesome C5.

2003 Earnhardt Signature Edition Z06. Color black of course. This car was used as a fundraiser and raffled off at the NCM.

Navy 1998s 14 Built - Myth or reality?

I spoke to my friend Sonny Kilgo about the infamous Navy 98s before he retired from the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green. Sonny extremely knowlegable on C5s had access to C5 files at the plant. Sonny said he never saw a Navy 98, Ive never seen one either, Have You?

{Aztec Gold 98s (12 Coupes - 3 Convertibles)

The unofficial story is these cars were to be painted as a test to check out the paint as a possible color for 50th Anniversary Corvettes. The color was rejected, all 15 cars were driven as GM company cars and then sold to Chevy Corvette dealers. Kerbeck as the no. 1 Corvette Dealer in the nation was offered the first of the 3 Aztec Convertibles built. This car was Will Cookseys company car demonstrator and was sold to us from GM with only 5000 miles. This car has only been driven 12 miles since we aquired it from GM and is part of the Kerbeck Corvette Collection on display at our dealership.}

Three 2002 Convertibles in Speedway White with Torch Red Interior and special graphics were used as track and festival cars during the 2002 Indy 500.

2002 33 Millennium Yellow and 33 Quicksilver Festival Cars, all convertibles, were produced and decorated with 2002 Indy 500 Logos and American flags.

1997 Fairway Green
The 1997 fairway green coupes numbered only 155 units, making them one of the lowest color runs in the fifth generation.

1998 Medium Purple Pearl Metallic
381 of these purple coupes and convertibles were produced.

There must be rare C5s that slipped through the factory system that were special built for GM officials and high profile sports figures, entertainers, and VIPs.

Now with the C5 nearing the end of production its time for you folks that have been sworn to secrecy about a special built C5 to let the rabbits out of the hat.

What C5 secrets do you know about?
What do you think the top ten rarest Factory production C5s are?

1. My 1998 Aztec Gold Coupe is even more rare... It's a daily driver!!!!

Roscoe!!!

NOTE - In my choice of rare C5s I listed factory production cars that were available to the public. There are many other extremely significant C5s including race cars, prototypes, etc.

Kristen at Kerbecks

[Modified by KERBECK CORVETTE, 6:45 PM 3/13/2004]

[Modified by RoscoesC5, 9:23 AM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 11:25 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (RoscoesC5)

A great post, with interesting information. I don't understand why some would attack this poster without presenting some of their own thoughts on collectible C5's :confused: :confused: :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection. (Jeffvette)

Kristin,

:rofl: :iagree:

GOOD INFO KRISTIN....

I have personally visted the Kerbeck collection as I do every time I am in A.C. It's always changing and FYI; there is more than just C5's or even vettes at that.... They have one of the first vettes that ever rolled of the line.

Thanks for the post.... :thumbs: :thumbs:

[Modified by Donzi4me, 12:23 PM 3/14/2004]
Old 03-14-2004, 01:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Look, I said "In my opinion"! Some people collect postage stamps and some people collect pink plastic flamingos. That doesn't make them valuable, or collectable.
"Medium Purple Pearl Metallic" does NOT make for value or collectability, for the BUYER....in my opinion. It is a MARKETING item...selling the sizzle.
This goes for ALL cosmetic "options", paint, "Collector Editions" etc. Some color combinations, like "harvest gold and purple" on 98 Camaros, were rare because nobody liked them, and therefore nobody bought them. They lasted only one year. "Delete" options are the same way. They are rare because no one wanted a car without disc brakes or without a heater or radio. That does NOT make that car worth more money. Although Porsche markets their "Club Sport" (gentleman racers) in just that manner.
Remember cosmetics are of value.......to the Dealer. They get gulible people to buy product that otherwise would not sell, or would sell at a discount.
Kristin is right to promote this, she is a seller. However it would be wrong for us to buy for that reason. Again, just my opinion..everyone is entitled to one.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Donzi4me
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Point taken.... And I agree, collectable is in the eye of the collector. Doesn't necessarlly make the car worth more. And many buyers will buy a vehicle based on a special option or circumstance such as this C5 being driven by Parnali Jones. No extra value in my mind, but look at the recent Barrett-Jackson auction and many celeb cars brought outragous $$$. :thumbs:

Quick Reply: One of the Rarest C5's ever, up for sale from the General Motors Collection.