C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surge Tank Mod w/ Bosch fuel pump is a Complete Success!!! Pics and Video from Track

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:01 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Surge Tank Mod w/ Bosch fuel pump is a Complete Success!!! Pics and Video from Track

I've been looking for a solution for the inevitable drop off in fuel pressure toward the end of long canyon runs, or on the last few laps of a roadracing session, for some time now. While my LPE pump, BAP, 55# siemins injectors and boost referenced FPR gives me great fuel pressure on the dyno as well as the first half of my gas tanks, the sloshing effect of the gas in the drivers tank when under a half a tank can lead to sucking air in the fuel line and pressure drops.

The answer to my problem has been solved by Lou at LG motorsports. I called him to see what he does on his world challenge car, and he told me about his surge tank. After alittle coaxing, he agreed to make me a custom surge tank. Lou was VERY helpful on the phone throughout the install!! He also found just the right spot to fit the tank on my car by test fitting it it one in his shop.

I had Mark of Bent Fabrication do the custom install. He did a great job and worked in a very timely manner. Very cool guy who specializes in custom fuel lines and fab work.

Greg Carrol of Blowerworks supplied the Bosch in line fuel pump. He also did the flow tests for me and confirmed that this pump will flow enough for 925 FWHP at 17 volts.

The way this setup works is as follows:

The LPE intank fuel pump fills 3/4 gallon surge tank at top. Then from the bottom lower corner of the surge tank a line goes over to the Bosch pump and that delivers fuel to the rails. The return line dumps fuel directly back into the top of the surge tank. An additional overflow line from the top of the surge tank then ties into the return line that goes back to the main tank.

In this way, we have created a bubble of sorts in the line so as the Bosch pump always has a full surge tank to draw from. No sloshing or sucking air even down to less then a 1/4 tank!!

There were a few hurdles along the way, but in the end the car ran better then ever at Willowsprings Raceway. I hammered it all day and fuel pressure was a steady 60 PSI until boost kicked in, then it climbed to 70 PSI. It worked great right down to the last lap of a half hour session. I go through at least half a tank in one full session on the roadcourse.

There are some pics below as well as a video from Willowsprings Raceway yesterday.

The white Z06 is Ryan0. He has a procharger on a stripped down Z06. He really knows the lines and helped me run my personal best of 1:34.4 yesterday!! I had a couple of 1:35 laps as well.

Again, A huge to Lou, Louis and their crew at LG as well as Mark at Bent Fab for their help in this project. I also want to acknowldege Mike Norris and Les for their input as well.

JB

Click below for video

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...inalwillow.wmv
Attached Images       

Last edited by jbsblownc5; 01-31-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:19 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice.

Hard to tell where the surge tank is located.
Is it inside or outside the frame in the rear of the car?
Just inside the rear swaybar?

Filter on outlet of pump but not inlet?
Price?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

That is one awesome setup!! Good to know that if I want to switch to something like that, you have already done it and know how it needs to be installed.

VR
Old 01-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Very cool Joel.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rock on Joel.

I am growing more and more fond of the idea of running a surge tank also -- it allows you to run a huge pump without sacrificing stock characteristics (fuel level sensor, tank to tank fuel leveling, etc.). I might have built my fuel system differently up front if I had known anything about surge tanks.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Loboost
Pro

Glad it all worked now turn up the boost a little more

Les
Old 01-31-2005, 08:49 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Originally Posted by Loboost
Glad it all worked now turn up the boost a little more

Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
Looks nice.

Hard to tell where the surge tank is located.
Is it inside or outside the frame in the rear of the car?
Just inside the rear swaybar?

Filter on outlet of pump but not inlet?
Price?
It sits up high in the torque tube tunnel near the back of the tranny inside the frame.

After market filter on outlet of bosch pump before it heads to rails.

Not cheap, but R&D never is.
JB
Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Another great video JB you are deff the Spielberg of the forum---you are also having too much fun I miss the canyon's as well--
Old 02-07-2005, 12:53 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NEPTUNEBILL
Another great video JB you are deff the Spielberg of the forum---you are also having too much fun I miss the canyon's as well--

Thanks Buddy!
JB

Get notified of new replies

To Surge Tank Mod w/ Bosch fuel pump is a Complete Success!!! Pics and Video from Track

Quick Reply: Surge Tank Mod w/ Bosch fuel pump is a Complete Success!!! Pics and Video from Track