C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would a non-IC Magnacharger do 4 my 99?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default What would a non-IC Magnacharger do 4 my 99?

99 stock LS1 auto with VRam.
Looking at a used non-IC Maggie, any things to be wary of???
What TQ/HP numbers can I expect (with a good tune of course)??
I'm a wrencher, can I install this myself ?? If not recommended, what's a ballpark install cost???
Old 02-04-2005, 09:23 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Non-IC maggie by itself is in the ballpark of 100 flywheel horsepower, assuming you keep the stock pulley and make no other changes. So, if you assume 20% drivetrain loss for an auto tranny car, then you're looking at about 80 rwhp. Depending on which rear end gear ratio you have, you're looking at a nice seat-of-the-pants improvement and lots of newfound torque at the lower RPM levels.

The toughest part of the installation is you have to put pins through your lower pulley so that it stays in fixed position relative to the crankshaft (the crank does not have a key like a lot of cranks did in 'the old days'). If you look under your hood, you'll see that the steering mechanism is right smack in front of that pulley. So, getting to the pulley requires either moving or removing certain parts of the steering mechanism. Lots of folks here, however, have done this.

With the maggie, you most definitely will need a new 'tune,' that is, an adjustment in the computer control parameters. Magnuson sells such a tune, but it seems the great majority of folks here have found that going to an actual tuner has produced better results.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:33 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacethis has a great deal on one right now in FS section.
Jon
Old 02-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

That's the one I'm lookin at

I may be 2nd in line though
Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

It is a great bang for the buck - and with a real tune you can see 100 rwhp gain. that is a lot for the $$. the later on if you really want more power, you can add alcohol injection, a pulley and a cam if you want to get crazy.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:26 AM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll get about 100 RWHP with a good LS1 Edit tune. If your a wrencher, you can do it, just make sure you get a copy of the instruction manual. The manual gives clear, step-by-step, instructions and is easy to follow. Get the guide and drill bit for pinning the pulley from the seller and buy the pins from Magnuson. If you buy the pin kit from Magnuson I believe its around $75.

I did my I/C Mag, cam and springs at home in about 8 hours. A good air compressor is a big help! Once done, I had AAA tow the car to ECS for Chris to tune. The Mag is worth the money and effort, what a rush!!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:32 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
...later on if you really want more power, you can add alcohol injection, a pulley and a cam if you want to get crazy.
I resemble that remark.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
c5_from_jc
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast81
99 stock LS1 auto with VRam.
Looking at a used non-IC Maggie, any things to be wary of???
What TQ/HP numbers can I expect (with a good tune of course)??
I'm a wrencher, can I install this myself ?? If not recommended, what's a ballpark install cost???

I say you get around 400/400. This kit is perfect for automatics.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

When I first did my Mag it did 427rwhp 420rwtq with LTs and a MAIL ORDER tune. Thats it! Then after a cam, pulley, and a good tune from Jeff Creech it did 491rwhp 467rwtq...NON-IC

Get notified of new replies

To What would a non-IC Magnacharger do 4 my 99?

Quick Reply: What would a non-IC Magnacharger do 4 my 99?