C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare scenario - (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Nightdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nightmare scenario - hydrolock issues with magnuson (a little long)

I was driving to work this am in the rain (I usually drive my wife's car when it rains but she had jury duty!) and man, it was really pouring. I am always careful about not driving through standing water. Anyway I came to an intersection near where I work and there was standing water but I THOUGHT I had clearance. Well, I guess you know what happened next. HYDROLOCK. So I had it trailered to the chevy dealer (I have no choice). I am waiting to hear back from them. They have to call me back to let me know if they will even look at it with all my mods.
My knowledge of hydrolock is limited. Let me know what I am in for, but I am already expecting the need for a new engine?

Are there going to be any problems with the supercharger?

After I drove through the water it stalled and I did not attempt a re-start. When I got out the water way way high, so I know i sucked it in. The water level was up past the bottom of the front fascia.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Nightdoc; 04-11-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had your car been lowered?

Mark
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

I am going to be very interested in hearing how this turns out.
Norm
Old 04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

You may not have sucked water into the engine. I would have popped all the spark plugs and inspected them one at a time. Then turn it over several times to clear any water. Change the oil. Start her up and drive on!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Nightdoc, I had the same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago in my 03 coupe here in Houston when I got caught in a downpour.

Like you, I've got a BPP Vortex Rammer which compounds the risk of hydrolock.

I was trying to make it home when a truck at a corner created the "perfect wave" just enough to cover the air intake. I knew exactly what happened as I have experienced the same with my BB jet boat.

Lonestar Chevrolet carried it back to their shop where they pulled the plugs, removed the water from the intake and cylinders, changed all fluids and the throttle position sensor (it kept throwing codes and the car into safe mode). After the repairs, Lonestar said there was nothing wrong with the car but insurance wanted to total it (it was a huge storm and insurance companies were totaling cars right and left - Lonestar had 5 flooded vettes at the shop).

I wanted a second opinion so I took my Vette to Speed Demon in NW Houston. Comp check and inspection showed the engine was in great shape so I took the check from the insurance co. and bought the car back. I've run about 9000 miles since then with no problems other than the fact that it now has a "salvage" title. Since the check paid off the car, I was still happy and someone's going to get a great deal if I decide to go C6.

What I learned from the experience is that hydrolock can be very hard on the piston/ring assembly especially if revs were up. I was idling, so luckily nothing was damaged.

What you need to look for is a cracked piston, ring, or ring land. A compression check is the key, but in addition to the inspection by two shops, I changed the oil twice and ran it hard for 100 miles (about 1.5 hours) before I was satisfied the motor was unharmed. I'm not FI (yet) so I can't comment on the Mag rotors or bypass valve.

BTW, the insurance company wanted Lonestar to ship my car immediately to their holding lot so that they could then negotiate with me. That was NOT going to happen and it gave me the time to have Lonestar get it running and checked out by another shop as well as my own "test" so I could put my mind to rest about whether to keep it or not.

I think it cost around $1200 all told to cure all ills and as it has turned out, it was the right decision to fix it and keep the car.

My advice would be to get with a shop (or two) you can trust and beware of the insurance company.

Last edited by tomlink; 04-11-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:52 AM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, hopefully all will turn out well!

Keep us posted on any problems with the engine or the Mag. What type of air induction set up do you have??
Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM
SS930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tomlink
What I learned from the experience is that hydrolock can be very hard on the piston/ring assembly especially if revs were up. I was idling, so luckily nothing was damaged.

What you need to look for is a cracked piston, ring, or ring land. A compression check is the key, but in addition to the inspection by two shops, I changed the oil twice and ran it hard for 100 miles (about 1.5 hours) before I was satisfied the motor was unharmed. I'm not FI (yet) so I can't comment on the Mag rotors or bypass valve.
IF your RPM's were low you stand a better chance of being okay. If it was just idling you're likely fine. If it was at high RPM's under heavy load... it's toast!

The other thing that happens that hasn't been mentioned is rods can bend, I've seen them shaped like a "C" after hydro-locking.

Take the plugs out, squirt a little MMO in there after cranking it some, and hopefully she'll be okay. Have them do a leak down on it to check compression if you're unsure.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by SS930; 04-12-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Nightdoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
You may not have sucked water into the engine. I would have popped all the spark plugs and inspected them one at a time. Then turn it over several times to clear any water. Change the oil. Start her up and drive on!

I talked to a friend of mine who is much more mechanically inclined than me and we are going to do this either today or tomorrow - so hopefully there will be good news! I will keep you guys posted.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Nightdoc
Instructor

I have an update for those who may have been interested in my outcome. My friend and I did not have a chance to look at the engine until today. I picked it up from the dealership as they had to dry out and clean and re-install the front carpets - this turned out well. We trailered it back home. WE removed the spark plugs and found 3 that looked wet. Turned the engine over and water did come out of 3 of the cylinders. Replaced all of the spark plugs. Dried and cleaned the entire air intake system. Thank God, it started right up without ANY problems!!
What a huge relief. I was all giddy driving home - like the first day I bought the car and the first day after the Maggie/cam/gear install. Thanks to all the support I received on this thread.

Cheers to all!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad there's a positive outcome here! Congrats!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

My fingers are crossed - hopefully there will be no damage!!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM
JeremyMSG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nightdoc
I have an update for those who may have been interested in my outcome. My friend and I did not have a chance to look at the engine until today. I picked it up from the dealership as they had to dry out and clean and re-install the front carpets - this turned out well. We trailered it back home. WE removed the spark plugs and found 3 that looked wet. Turned the engine over and water did come out of 3 of the cylinders. Replaced all of the spark plugs. Dried and cleaned the entire air intake system. Thank God, it started right up without ANY problems!!
What a huge relief. I was all giddy driving home - like the first day I bought the car and the first day after the Maggie/cam/gear install. Thanks to all the support I received on this thread.

Cheers to all!
Do not forget to change the oil
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Whew; close one. Congrats on the outcome.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 259 Likes on 76 Posts

Glad to hear it turned out alright....

the best thing that you did was not try to turn the motor over after it stalled out on you..... that (most likely) single handedly saved your motor right there......

now stay outta the rain!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
jjjflex
Pro

Glad it worked out for you!!! It's nice to hear some good news!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Nightmare scenario - (a little long)

Quick Reply: Nightmare scenario - (a little long)