C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHOW ME YOUR A&A PROCHARGER PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 06:45 AM
laron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHOW ME YOUR A&A PROCHARGER PICS

The reason I ask is because Im about to embark on a path less taken...

The procharger kit from procharger is 6-7 grand...Too Much

The A & A procharger kit is around 5 grand....Very good price...But still out of my range thanks to the wife setting my limit for toys to 4 grand this time....

So I called Andy and asked him for the round about price for the ..

- head unit in his 4,999 kit

-head unit bolts and bracket

-5 pound pully with head unit

-injectors

-serpentine belt

-blow off valve

...BASICLY EVERYTHING I WOULD NEED MINUS INTERCOOLER AND PIPING...

* FUEL PUMP IS NOT NEED WITH 5 POUND SET UP*

He says that this non intercooled 5 pound set up should be good for around 100 rwhp...

My car has a LS6 making 351 rwhp so Im hoping for about 450 rwhp..

Ive been looking at the few pictures I could find doing a search and it seems like the piping for the 5 pound non intercooled set up should be very easy...

BUT ID LOVE TO SEE MORE PICS FROM YOU GUYS FIRST TO MAKE CERTAIN..

I have already desighned a complete intercooler system that worked out pretty well on a powerdyned camaro ( v6) so I feel confident it wont be hard...

From the pics Ive seen..(not sure if they were the A&A version or not)
it appears that the discharge or outlet tube of the procharger sits EXTREMELY close to the throttle body...

From the pictures Id guess 8 inches below the throttle body and roughly 7 inches to the left of the throttle body ( actual measurements would be greatly appreciated)..

If this is correct and the opening of the discharge tube on the procharger is around 3 inches like Im guessing....Then a 3 inch 90 degree silicone (elbow) connected to the discharge tube and going towards the right (right towards throttle body) and then the 90 degree elbow going up towards the throttle body should be close to what I need...

Now since it appears to be a very short distance from the discharge tube to the throttle body I could then connect the blow off valve to the top of that 90 degree silicone elbow....

So now Ive got a nice ( J ) shape silicone elbow coming from the discharge tube with a blow off valve (*) sitting on top of the elbow..

Somthing like this..........( * )
( J )

So now I beleave all I would have to do is put a nother 90 degree silicone elbow on top of the blow off valve .....

But this 90 degree silicone elbow would go up and take a 90 degree angle directly into the throttle body.....

4 (T) clamps would be used to tighten down the silicone elbows....

Im not sure if the throttle body is 3 or 3 1/2 inches but it wont matter..It's easy to get silicone with different size openings on each end..

A few inches of piping may need to be cut and fit in to this set up to ensure that the tubing reaches far enough to the right and far enough up to get to the throttle body....But that will just be cutting a straight pipe at the desired length....

As for the intake tube....That can be as simple as a 3 inch silicone connected to a 3 inch pipe connected to a generic 3 inch K&N air filter...

Or in my case Im planning on running the intake piping to my Vararam...

SO AM I PRETTY CLOSE ON MY ASSESSMENT OF IT BEING EASY?

Or is there somthing Im overlooking.....

Id love to here your opinions and see some pics of your set ups...

Also any actual measurements would be most welcome..

THANKS
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was too long to read but this is not something you want to do on the cheap. Unless you have the wherewithall to buy and install a new motor. If these things are setup incorrectly you stand to spend more money than just saving up for the correct kit in the first place.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:26 AM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the FS section, used kits frequently come up.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 AM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Personally I wouldn't install it without an intercooler to controll the heat but that's your decision. Also sounds like more bends that doing it properly.

If you would like an unused/new factory ATI kit less the head unit for relatively cheap contact me. This will contain a good amount of the parts that you described along with some others that you haven't thought of.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Suck it up and just have Andy do it and get it over with, you won't regret it. I can hear the wife now "You should have known that you couldn't do tht in the first place by yourself" and it will never get any better.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default A&A

If I was you, Tell the wife the kit was $4000.00 and get a Credit Card on the side to charge the rest.......

My car dyno was 625 RWHP with about 11 Lbs. of Boost

Stick with A&A or ECS!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Ferretts
Racer

Chris at ECS said that the paxton will be less costly then the Procharger... I would wait to see final priceing on that
Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
laron
Pro

For now Im gonna stick with this non intercooled 5 pound route..
I love the price and love telling people that I made it my self when they say they didnt know there was a non intercooled kit for the C5..

OF COURSE...I realize that the intercooled kit is 10 times better....But at a low boost level of 5 PSI the heat will not take much from my performance...

With my last intercooled set up on the camaro the intercooler didnt make a differance till around 7-8 pounds..

I do plan on upgrading to the intercooler, 9 poung pully, upgraded fuel pump, from Andy once my cars transmission is ready for it.

But for now (until the wife gives me another 3-4 grand to play with) Im sure Ill be happy with another 80-100 rwhp from the 5 pound non intercooled procharger.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:07 PM
laron
Pro

Some More Pics Please
Old 08-07-2005, 04:23 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

In my opinion, I'd just wait until you had the money to do it right the first time. You never kow, the A&A/ECS kits might even cost less because they're using a different head unit.

You could always ask the wife for an advance on your future mod money, and tell her that it could cost ALOT more in the future if it breaks something. Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

That was a long post.

What your trying to accomplish is doable. At 5 PSI of boost from centrifugal (ATI, Paxton or Vortech) your temperature rise is going to be lower then Magnacharger, so yes it can be done. Non IC magnachargers have been run at 6 PSI, with little problems, on conservative tune.

A head unit with bracket should run you around $2500. The problem is most brackets from tuners require rad to be laid down, may or may not be a big deal. I would suggest laying down rad, because custom air bridge will likely be a PITA (pain in the a$$).

The supercharger discharge depending on bracket will likely be close to throttle body. Remember the scroll can be rotated almost anywhere, so you can point it towards TB. Oh, TB is 3.875 in. OD not 3.5.

Next you will have a fairly tight turn to make. I don’t think any off the shelf couplers will fit your needs. If you are creative you can make/cast your silicone coupler. Or you can make fiberglass/carbon fiber piece. Start with foam (high density) and shape it to your needs. Then wrap with fiberglass/carbon fiber. When cured mechanically and chemically remove foam and you’re done. Now you will only need two standard couplers.

On above discharge transition, increase diameter gradually. You do not want air to separate. If this cannot be done then at least turn air as smoothly as possible then dump it to larger diameter. Hard to describe but this is very important.

Finally last thought is to add alky kit. At $500-600 this is a good insurance policy. Also at your mass flow and delta T, you can easily cool your intake charge.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited by Skunkworks; 08-07-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Mr.X
Instructor

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
[In my opinion, I'd just wait until you had the money to do it right the first time.] You never kow, the A&A/ECS kits might even cost less because they're using a different head unit.

You could always ask the wife for an advance on your future mod money, and tell her that it could cost ALOT more in the future if it breaks something. Good Luck!
So your only a grand short to do it right. Seems like it would be well worth the wait.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:03 PM
tici
Advanced

I'm not sure you don't need a new fuel pump.
I have the non intercooled 6PSI Vortech kit and I'm just right with the Additional pump Vortech includes (T-Rex) and a set of 36# Bosch injectors. I'm at 80% duty cycle now with an AFR of 12.5:1 (it's so lean because I add alcohol on top of this).
Without alcohol it was 11:1 and the injectors were at 100%.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:03 PM
laron
Pro

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES..

-Andy said I should be fine on the stock fuel pump with 5 pounds

-I completely forgot I could rotate the scroll....If need be I will..

-So the throttle body is roughly 4 inches.....

-whats the diameter of the discharge tube?

-If the discharge tube is 3 inches then my first coupler will be a 3 inch one side and 4 inch other side to have the compressed air flowing through 4 inches all the way till it hits the throttle body..

So 4 inch piping will now be needed....(Thanks for clearing that up for me....) as well as 4 inch silicone elbows...

- Andy said he can supply the piping and silicone for me so it should be easy...

PLEASE POST MORE PICS
Old 08-07-2005, 08:21 PM
laron
Pro

HERES A LINK TO THE CUSTOM INTERCOOLER/PIPING i DID ON THE V6 CAMARO

http://members.cardomain.com/greenglow98
Old 08-07-2005, 08:27 PM
laron
Pro

Just click on the green glow camaro and then go to page two..

It was origionaly non intercooled.....When I was done the only stock thing was the head unit...Ha ha ha ha
Old 08-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Depending on which supercharger you choose, the discharge of scroll will be a little in front of TB. But still, the required turn will be very tight (tighter then you may think). I would suggest stay with 3 inch in turn because of reduced turning radius. Then increase pipe size to match TB. Also you may have to jog pipe a little forward to be able to make turn. Or… make a hat with perpendicular inlet, this would act like small plenum and you can dump defuse hear. This may be lesser of all evils.

Try following links…
www.procharger.com/models.shtml
www.vortechsuperchargers.com/
www.paxtonauto.com/

Scroll discharge or outlet is usually 3 in. OD and around 2.6 in ID.

Look into MAF location as well.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To SHOW ME YOUR A&A PROCHARGER PICS

Old 08-07-2005, 10:06 PM
SR71
Burning Brakes

do it right, buy the whole intercooled kit. you will be much better off in the long run. put some extra effort into your "homework" for a week or two and you will get the kit you want.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:42 AM
laron
Pro

I went and took a good look at my engine bay today..

Theres a pully that sticks out pretty far under the throttle body....Also a hose that runs pretty close under the throttle body.....

So ........

I went on Ebay and found some 4 inch couplers.....4 inch elbows....4 inch to 3 inch reducers......And 4 inch T bolts....

I wont know for sure if Im gonna do the piping in 3 inches or 4 inches until I get the head unit in there and get some good measurments....

Im figuring that at this point I can just put the head unit in and see if it's easy for the piping or not. If it proves too much of a hassle..Andy said theres no problem for me too just order the intercooler and piping...

But that will run me another easy 1,500 or so.....So Im hoping I can make it work...

Im guessing that if I cant get the piping the way I want to because of the pully and hose that may pose a problem....

I can just have the discharge tube facing straight up instead of to the right on the stock set up.....Then the discharge tube and throttle body would almost be perpendicular to each other with no obstacles between the two.....

A 3 inch silicone elbow connected to the BOV......Then the BOV connected to another 3 inch silicone .......Then that 3 nch silicone connected (with a small 3 inch pipe) to a 3 inch to 4 inch silicone reducer .........With the 4 inch side of the reducer going into the throttle body.........SHOULD do the trick...

I dont really want to do it like that......But may have too...Of course hood clearance could become a problem with this senario....

WELL.....AFTER TALKING WITH ANDY AND DOING MY RESEARCH I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THIS THING DONE FOR 3,500 DOLLARS...

I know that most of you think it's unwise to do all this for less performance and a savings of only 1,500 bucks....

But my wife will LITERALY NOT let me spend the 5,000 for the complete kit...

I even showed her the procharger kit in my west coast corvette magazine for 7 grand and then showed her Andys kit for 5 grand and she still wont do it no matter how good a deal it is.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 AM
pwrshftd
Heel & Toe

I have a complete kit, minus injectors, head unit, and bypass valve.

its a stock procharger kit with twin coolers.

pwrshftd@gmail.com

Quick Reply: SHOW ME YOUR A&A PROCHARGER PICS