C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downsides to running too much methanol with SSC other than too rich & Less HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Downsides to running too much methanol with SSC other than too rich & Less HP

The reason I ask is b/c my goal for my new ECS D1SC BLown 02 Z with it 100% bone stock Z06 LS6 motor, is to have the stock motor LAST as LONG AS POSSIBLE, and at the same time have as much fun with the car as possible. (a fine line to walk no doubt).

I realize that if my motor lives often in the area of 10lbs of boost making 600rwhp on the my stock LS6 motor, its just a matter of time that the car is going to go KABOOM, so i am implementing my own detuning methods for everyday driving such as short shifting so i only see 7 lbs of boost, etc. I realize i can put on a bigger 7.5lb (boost) pulley than the 10lb boost pulley I am running, but I want to have the that extra THRUST/POWER when i need it once in a while, for those special occassions like when a VIPER or 06 Z06 comes up on me on the highway, etc.

I am running straight methanol as added protection and if i turn up the control **** lets say all the way up to the position that it is releasing/misting the most amount of methanol that the ECS kits allow, is there ANY POSSIBILITY of this having any NEGATIVE EFFECTS on my set-up, motor, etc., (REGARDING RELIABLITIDY/ENGINE LONGEIVTY) other than the following factors which i am aware of and could be perceived as other as a negative effect of running the methanol at its richest setting on the ECS kit:

1. RUNNING TO RICH WHILE MAKING OVER 4 lbs of boost (when it kicks in) and;

2:: Being down some on power b/c its runnnig too rich;

3. Going through more methanol than is necessary.

Thanks for your useful positive info!!!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-04-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:06 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MTI 427 Roadster
The reason I ask is b/c my goal for my new ECS D1SC BLown 02 Z with it 100% bone stock Z06 LS6 motor, is to have the stock motor LAST as LONG AS POSSIBLE, and at the same time have as much fun with the car as possible. (a fine line to walk no doubt).

I realize that if my motor lives often in the area of 10lbs of boost making 600rwhp on the my stock LS6 motor, its just a matter of time that the car is going to go KABOOM, so i am implementing my own detuning methods for everyday driving such as short shifting so i only see 7 lbs of boost, etc. I realize i can put on a bigger 7.5lb (boost) pulley than the 10lb boost pulley I am running, but I want to have the that extra THRUST/POWER when i need it once in a while, for those special occassions like when a VIPER or 06 Z06 comes up on me on the highway, etc.

I am running straight methanol as added protection and if i turn up the control **** lets say all the way up to the position that it is releasing/misting the most amount of methanol that the ECS kits allow, is there ANY POSSIBILITY of this having any negative effects on my set-up, motor, etc., other than:

1. RUNNING TO RICH WHILE MAKING OVER 4 lbs of boost (when it kicks in) and:

2:: Being down some on power b/c its runnnig too rich?

3. Going through more methanol than is necessary.

Thanks for your useful positive info!!!

i spoke to julio, i bought ecs alchy too, and he told me that running rich on alchy doesnt kill power, as gas does, when rich, so that good.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:30 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
running rich on alchy doesnt kill power
I don't buy it. My car is faster without the meth. I run the meth to keep the motor together.

MTI - just shift at 6,000 - 6,200 RPM and enjoy your car.

Mark
Old 09-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by mdhmi
I don't buy it. My car is faster without the meth. I run the meth to keep the motor together.

MTI - just shift at 6,000 - 6,200 RPM and enjoy your car.

Mark

MARK,

Not trying to be a smart azz buddy and sorry if i'm coming off that way, but how about your informed opinion as to the topic at hand in this thread and you and I shifting our cars where we choose to do so (under any given driving circumstance be it on the street, highway, road race track or drag strip)!!

The last thing i want is for this thread to get off topic like some recent threads here (as you may recall) and this is an interesting subject and i want to educate myself, etc. (as that to me is one of the big things that make this forum kick azz)

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-04-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MTI,

I have seen dyno graphs that you could easily see alky turn ON point. It was a dip in graph followed by recovery. Now with progressive controllers in which flow starts gradually then increases, this should not be the case.

If you have an older style system (I know you don’t) that relied on pressure switch and flow was fixed, then you would go way rich and loose some HP at turn on point. Don’t want to start anything here, but too rich is too rich.

Mike
Old 09-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Before I crank up the dial for more methanol on ECS KIT (and yes when it gets cooler out i know this is recommended but still warm in Chicago through September) how about a few more intelligible responses from some knowleagable f/i follk!!!

ps-YES, i have changed my name to get current and away from my old ride and in tune (no pun intended) with my new BLOWN ECS Z06!!!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-04-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:35 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Your best bet is to put a datta logger in like Doug and myself run with a wideband like this one.

www.zeitronix.com

If your car was tuned like ours then you rely on the meth to be a suplimental fuel source. I run 2 boost settings for 2 different tunes, low is half gain @ 12.8 and high @ 16 is full gain.

When I run full gain on my low setting and log I see no difference in my A/F running rich. If I only run it @ 1/4 gain I do hear I slight ping and a slight lean condition.

The benefit of running more meth is that you will lower your iat's that over what you consider to be your normal gain setting. Both of us have seen this as we have logged it while road tunning.

I have seen no evidence on the dyno or logging on the road that @ my low boost setting with it set @ full gain any rich condition or a loss in hp.

BTW I spray @ 3 psi through dual nozzles.

Hope this helped to clear the air for you.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you increase the gain **** more alky will be shot into the motor. This will bring down your AF ratio. Bringing down the AF ratio will cuase it to lose power. Which by some is ok. So a loss in power can occur when too much alky is shot in combined with too much gas. So if your tuned to run 12.1 then crank the **** it will drop into the 11's..10's..even 9:1 AFR depending on nozzle setup and controller settings.

Motor will make the most power when its rite on the edge of knocking.. even knocking just a smidge.. and that fine line is where it really comes alive. Its tuning.

For street settings I run more aggressive on the alky than I do at the track. Since the motor will be more heat soaked, hotter, etc.. which contribute to detonation. At the track.. then we can get it to the edge

So if your "tuned" 1/2 way up on your controller.. mark the **** and increase it 1/4 way up. When you get to the track.. start pulling out a little at a time and watch the performance/knock activity.

Small adjustments make big pressure changes So keep that in mind when turning on the ****'s'

And a big to any monitoring or logging device when trying to get a car figured out.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

JULIO:

GREAT INFO man and nothing like getting the facts straight right from the horses mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
JULIO:

GREAT INFO man and nothing like getting the facts straight right from the horses mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!
In other words Jimmy you better get that built short block ready Just kidding..........I hope you are LOVING all that new POWER
Old 09-05-2005, 02:01 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

And a big to any monitoring or logging device when trying to get a car figured out.
This is where I think everyone misses the boat. All this money on new motors... and they have no idea what is going on.

My stock shortblock is still together and it is not because I'm a master tuner. I just put in a monitoring system before I tried to make big power and have learned a ton along the way. Data logging equipment should be required for FI IMHO. It was expensive and difficult to do a few years back, but the cost and complexity have come way down recently.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:14 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Julio
If you increase the gain **** more alky will be shot into the motor. This will bring down your AF ratio. Bringing down the AF ratio will cuase it to lose power. Which by some is ok. So a loss in power can occur when too much alky is shot in combined with too much gas. So if your tuned to run 12.1 then crank the **** it will drop into the 11's..10's..even 9:1 AFR depending on nozzle setup and controller settings.

I've seen my power drop off from too much Alky on the dyno... We still made real good power being a bit rich, but if you crank up the Alky too much, you will lose power.

JB
Old 09-05-2005, 11:31 AM
cablebandit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

f-body here but same motor. I have a 346 with incon twins....i have my old SMC kit running methanol and at WOT am providing 24% of my total fueling with methanol. I logged the a/f and adjusted the PE table so my a/f curve is smooth...even when the meth kicks in. The methanol will not harm the motor in any way. Being a little rich at WOT will not hurt anything either. Meth will help keep the IATs in line and helped me make 736rwhp with 93 octane
Old 09-05-2005, 11:39 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cablebandit
f-body here but same motor. I have a 346 with incon twins....i have my old SMC kit running methanol and at WOT am providing 24% of my total fueling with methanol. I logged the a/f and adjusted the PE table so my a/f curve is smooth...even when the meth kicks in. The methanol will not harm the motor in any way. Being a little rich at WOT will not hurt anything either. Meth will help keep the IATs in line and helped me make 736rwhp with 93 octane
Yea, there is no such thing as too much meth. Just too much fuel.

The best thing to do is to set the system up to pump as much meth as possible and then dial back your regular fuel. You will be in big trouble if you run out of meth, but I would rather have that risk than the alternative.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
I've seen my power drop off from too much Alky on the dyno... We still made real good power being a bit rich, but if you crank up the Alky too much, you will lose power.

JB

true jb but not at the rate that you would if it were gas.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by cablebandit
CABLEBANDIT and all others here great info guys!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Downsides to running too much methanol with SSC other than too rich & Less HP

Quick Reply: Downsides to running too much methanol with SSC other than too rich & Less HP