C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 twin turbo system - feedback wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:49 AM
0APS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 twin turbo system - feedback wanted

Hi Guys, APS Engineering has recently joined Corvette forum as a sponsor and APS management is now seriously considering developing/releasing a high quality thoroughly engineered intercooled twin turbo system to suit the C5 'Vette.

Some of you guys may know that APS has recently engineered a twin intercooled twin turbo system to suit the C6 Corvette which will be released in the US in Mid April 06. For those that don't know about the APS C6 twin turbo system here's a couple of pics that will give you an idea of the twin turbo package.

I'm hoping that the twin turbo package for the C5 would be very similar to that of the APS C6 twin turbo system, if so APS sould be able to keep the price for the C5 twin turbo system to a very reasonable figure.

I'd expect that a complete C5 intercooled twin turbo system with cast ductile iron turbo exhaust manifolds, state of the art GT series water cooled dual ball bearing turbos, massive frount mount intercooler (maybe 2 intercoolers) and a sizable fuel system to support around 600 - 650 WHP would have a MSRP of around $8995.

I'm sure that the street price would be more affordable given the negotation skills of you guys on the forum !!!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your replies.

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 12:55 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$9K is a very competitive price point for a complete kit. Keep us posted on the kit.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mdhmi
$9K is a very competitive price point for a complete kit. Keep us posted on the kit.

Cheers,

Mark
Thanks for that feedback - I'm hoping that APS can utilise much of the C6 intercooled twin turbo system as this will really help to keep production costs down to a bare minimum.

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C5 community is seeing more and more kits coming out. Good luck on future plans, if install is as clean as on C6 then you have a niece product on your hands!

What would you expect max HP potential would be?

Mike
Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 AM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
The C5 community is seeing more and more kits coming out. Good luck on future plans, if install is as clean as on C6 then you have a niece product on your hands!

What would you expect max HP potential would be?

Mike
Mike, with a built engine and a larger fuel system 1000 engine dyno HP would be very achievable, I've seen a number of twin turbo LS1's on the engine dyno at around 1000 hp.

The base APS C5 twin turbo system as supplied would support approx 600 WHP out of the box, I would not push the stock LS1 engine part this power level and I guess that many guys will build forged engines if they want higher WHP.

Thanks for the feedback, all good.

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 02:24 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a great looking kit!!! What's the largest turbo you think it'll support? T4 flange?

Arnel
Old 02-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm starting to think a TT C5 Tiger Shark Vert might just be the ticket.

now that the c5 prices have really dropped, this project might be the real deal.

great stuff peter, your kit on the c6 makes me want to buy one but I have a soft spot for the look of the c5 tiger shark.

great stuff!!! keep up the good work and keep us posted on the release of the turbo systems for both platforms. thx.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
camaro_zach
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have been interested if this was available 2 months ago

i really like the look of your c6 kit, but i already have my c5 kit and its 70% installed.

however one day i will have a c6, so i will be looking you guys up
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There are lot of Turbo Systems that are coming or have been recently marketed. Personally, I am looking for a unit that does not disturbe the engine compartment components (i.e. remount battery, coolant, washer tanks, etc).

Your kit looks great on the C6 and if you can replicate that on the C5 I'm sure you would have a lot of interested parties, including myself.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

wow - sharp kit - but i'd need more power for my forged 408.
if you get one built and need a guinea pig (at a reduced rate of course) - i may ditch my D1 for this - providing you can hook me with REALLY LOUD BOVs
Old 02-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

If you can find a way to fit full T4's down low, you'll officially have the ultimate kit. Good luck with this! I'll definitely be watching all APS threads

I'd donate a C5 for a while for this as well; where are you located?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:51 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How hot do the footwells get when it's been run hard? I agree you'd have a winner w/ T4's down there.. A refabricated footwell shouldn't be too difficult, if needed... kinda like a mini-tub option for the big turbo boys

Arnel
Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by APS

I'm sure that the street price would be more affordable given the negotation skills of you guys on the forum !!!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your replies.

Peter
I like the under car setup..very stealth
Old 02-09-2006, 05:02 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AVB
That's a great looking kit!!! What's the largest turbo you think it'll support?
Arnel
The base APS/Garrett dual ball bearing turbochargers have sufficient mass air flow to support approx 1000 hp - not sure if we have any plans to go futher at this time. Is 1000 hp potential enough for the mass market or do you think higher power capacity is required?

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 05:05 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'm starting to think a TT C5 Tiger Shark Vert might just be the ticket.

now that the c5 prices have really dropped, this project might be the real deal.

great stuff peter, your kit on the c6 makes me want to buy one but I have a soft spot for the look of the c5 tiger shark.

great stuff!!! keep up the good work and keep us posted on the release of the turbo systems for both platforms. thx.
Will do and thanks for your compliments. The C6 twin turbo system will be launched in April 06 if all goes to plan and with some the luck the C5 twin turbo program will commence by Aug /Sept 06.

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 05:13 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
There are lot of Turbo Systems that are coming or have been recently marketed. Personally, I am looking for a unit that does not disturbe the engine compartment components (i.e. remount battery, coolant, washer tanks, etc).
That will be the case with the APS C5 intercooled twin turbo system as the design approach will be very similar to that of the C6 intercooled twin turbo development which requires no relocation of the stock components mentioned above.
Originally Posted by ajg1915
Your kit looks great on the C6 and if you can replicate that on the C5 I'm sure you would have a lot of interested parties, including myself.
Awesome to hear and I'm confident that the APS C5 twin turbo package will be comprehensively engineered and meet your goals perfectly, thanks for your feedback, very helpful.

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Togo
wow - sharp kit - but i'd need more power for my forged 408.
How much power are you genuinely expecting?

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To C5 twin turbo system - feedback wanted

Old 02-09-2006, 05:25 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jesse_Boyer
If you can find a way to fit full T4's down low, you'll officially have the ultimate kit. Good luck with this! I'll definitely be watching all APS threads
I have not worked with the old T4 design for many years now as the latest GT range of water cooled ball bearing turbos (released in the mid 90's) offer equivilent mass air flow in a more compact, efficient, and responsive frame size turbocharger. APS moved away from the old Garrett turbo range when the new GT series turbos were released some 10 years ago as the new GT turbos had finally addressed the long term high boost thrust bearing issues in the old sleeve bearing design of T4 turbochargers. Upon the release of the GT series turbos thrust bearing failure is now only a distant memory.

Peter
Old 02-09-2006, 05:43 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which turbos are used? T3-T4 hybrids ?

Nice looking job.

Will you be making this kit to fit the C6Z as well ?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:57 PM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AVB
How hot do the footwells get when it's been run hard?
Good question. Even after the twin turbo Corvette has been run fairly hard repeatedly there's not much warmth to be felt in the footwell area as the body work is protected from extensive heat shields, you will see these protection shields if you look closely at this pic below. The way the turbos are positioned, passing air flow disipates the heat to atmosphere very quickly, all good.

If you want additional protection/performance turbo blankets could be installed on the turbo housings though to be frank I don't feel that blankets are required.

Peter

Quick Reply: C5 twin turbo system - feedback wanted