C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408ci/D1 Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:05 PM
CantHookUp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408ci/D1 Numbers

How many 408/D1's if any are getting over 700 hp with a 6-rib and the original twin ATI intercoolers set-up .... if any? The Blower intake is located between the radiator and the motor.

My latest dyno only made 582 max HP on the 4th pull after 3-pulls without the stall locked: The twin coolers were pretty warm.

408 ci / ATI D1 3.6 pulley with Andy's bracket, LS6 Intake, 60 lb injectors with a racetronics pump and relay, TPIS long tubes, cats, Z06 catbacks, Comp cam 238/242/115lsa with .605/.612 lift, Ported LQ9 heads with 310/260 cfm @ .600 lift and a 12.0 A/F tune from MTI, A4,Rodney's tranny, Yank SC 3000.

MTI says I need a 8-rib set-up with the single intercooler conversion from A&A Corvettes to have a shot at the power I am looking for. (700+hp).
Old 02-26-2006, 07:13 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd listen to MTI's 8 rib recommendation. The 6 rib may hold for a while, but it's definitely not, in my humble opinion, a long term viable proposition.

Mark
Old 02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

8 rib and the single intercooler...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

My little ole 346 A&A DS1c puts out 742 rwhp so upgrade to the A&A setup and add ECS Alky kit and you will be there, oh by the way I love my current setup and I took it out today and had lots of fun in the good weather Texas enjoys. Got in lots of spirted boosted runs
Old 02-27-2006, 12:35 AM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CantHookUp
How many 408/D1's if any are getting over 700 hp with a 6-rib and the original twin ATI intercoolers set-up .... if any? The Blower intake is located between the radiator and the motor.

My latest dyno only made 582 max HP on the 4th pull after 3-pulls without the stall locked: The twin coolers were pretty warm.

408 ci / ATI D1 3.6 pulley with Andy's bracket, LS6 Intake, 60 lb injectors with a racetronics pump and relay, TPIS long tubes, cats, Z06 catbacks, Comp cam 238/242/115lsa with .605/.612 lift, Ported LQ9 heads with 310/260 cfm @ .600 lift and a 12.0 A/F tune from MTI, A4,Rodney's tranny, Yank SC 3000.

MTI says I need a 8-rib set-up with the single intercooler conversion from A&A Corvettes to have a shot at the power I am looking for. (700+hp).
I think your problem is the lack of efficiency, if the boost is there. That ATI kit wasn't designed to make big numbers. I'm sure you'll see a big improvement with the full switchover to A&A.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

MTI says I need a 8-rib set-up with the single intercooler conversion from A&A Corvettes to have a shot at the power I am looking for. (700+hp).[/QUOTE]

Take the PROFESSIONAL'S advice to reach your goals
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
CantHookUp
Racer

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Take the PROFESSIONAL'S advice to reach your goals[/QUOTE]

Parts on on the way ... Thanks for the input
Old 02-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

MTI is wrong and I'd venture to say that their tune sucks plus some other problems in your motor construction.

I made 641rwhp with the stock heads, stock bottom end, cam, and fuel system on 10psi running 91 octane.

A shop here just ripped a D1SC off another 408 MTI built car because it had a pile of problems including crap power.

Give them the car back and tell them you want 650+ at the tire at no extra charge or you want your money back.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by Drewstein
MTI is wrong and I'd venture to say that their tune sucks plus some other problems in your motor construction.

I made 641rwhp with the stock heads, stock bottom end, cam, and fuel system on 10psi running 91 octane.

A shop here just ripped a D1SC off another 408 MTI built car because it had a pile of problems including crap power.

Give them the car back and tell them you want 650+ at the tire at no extra charge or you want your money back.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

I believe I know of one of those MTI cars as I got to see it last fall here in San Antonio and seemed something was not right with the setup and now the car has gone onto another owner who hates the ATI setup
Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Pickleman
Instructor

Default Some Alternative Ideas!

I Have A ATI Twin Intercooled System (A&A Bracket) With P1 (D1s goes in thursday. Courtesy of A&A (original system was also)! I had a local shop tear out the original ATI air intake and mod a vortect air intake to create a cold air system for the same location. Polished very trick and breaths much better. Also instead of doing single cooler I had the same local shop (RMCR Colo Spgs 719-547-0625) Install an NOS Spray for both I coolers. NOOOoooooooooo Problems and Very Low Charge Temps!

my .02
Pickleman
Old 03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
CantHookUp
Racer

Originally Posted by Pickleman
I Have A ATI Twin Intercooled System (A&A Bracket) With P1 (D1s goes in thursday. Courtesy of A&A (original system was also)! I had a local shop tear out the original ATI air intake and mod a vortect air intake to create a cold air system for the same location. Polished very trick and breaths much better. Also instead of doing single cooler I had the same local shop (RMCR Colo Spgs 719-547-0625) Install an NOS Spray for both I coolers. NOOOoooooooooo Problems and Very Low Charge Temps!

my .02
Pickleman
Got the parts and plan on switching out the twin for a single intercooler ... 8-rib conversion with a 3.5 pulley next. I also plan on the alky injection or just spraying my single intercooler for South Texas heat.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:53 PM
NV THIS
Racer

^The guy that ripped the D1SC off his 408 also had 10.5+ compression, it was a nitrous motor that the guy put a blower on later down the road. I say with the 8 rib and the single intercooler you will hit 7XXrwhp safe. I also have been to several other tuners including MTI and out of 4 sponsores of this site my car ran the best and was the safest on MTI's tune. So if the MTI tune sucks then 3 other well known sponsores tune also suck. I will got post the names of the shop because I dont want to bash on there companys.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:54 PM
turtle and the hare
Advanced

i will concur, many are producing the power. It would seem as though there maybe a internal issue, if your car is incapable then you should at the very least demand to know why. The D1 is capable of producing alot more power.

I have heard both good things as well as bad things. Unhappy customers are the ones that leave question and doubt, therefore i will leave it at that.

Last edited by turtle and the hare; 03-11-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Pakisho
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, he needs to take off those intercoolers. They suck. I used to lose up to 50rwhp on the dyno after a few pulls, they overheated like mad and the car hated it. You can bandaid it with alky, I have a friend who had much better results than I did when he put alky on the car. But the intercoolers are crapola, in my opinion.

Last edited by Pakisho; 03-12-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 AM
CantHookUp
Racer

Originally Posted by Pakisho
Nah, he needs to take off those intercoolers. They suck. I used to lose up to 50rwhp on the dyno after a few pulls, they overheated like mad and the car hated it. You can bandaid it with alky, I have a friend who had much better results than I did when he put alky on the car. But the intercoolers are crapola, in my opinion.
Parts are in change will be this week. I guess I need to put tranny coolers in the old twin ATI cooler spots. My tranny fluid temp made 248 yesterday after 4 zero to 80 pulls trying to get a feel for the car.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 AM
LS12NV
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Parts are in change will be this week. I guess I need to put tranny coolers in the old twin ATI cooler spots. My tranny fluid temp made 248 yesterday after 4 zero to 80 pulls trying to get a feel for the car.

Best of luck with the conversion. I have been watching your progress as I am in the process of deciding on a new (forged) set-up for my car. I have the standard ATI kit (P1SC with twin intercoolers) like you. I am not sure if I should "bite the bullet" and upgrade both the head unit (to a D1SC or F1R) and the twins (to a single front-mounted unit) at the same time I do the motor, or take my chances and just upgrade the motor at this time. My worry is that my current set-up will be unable to adequately feed either a 383 LS6 stroker or 402 LS2 stroker. I am looking for 650-700 rwhp, and I think I'll be disappointed with just a motor upgrade at this time. I guess I can always upgrade the other components later (on an "as needed" basis), but it's probably easier (and cheaper) to replace the supercharger ductwork when the motor is out of the car. These mods are becoming very expensive!!!

Let us know if you see the power increases you are expecting...

LS12NV

Get notified of new replies

To 408ci/D1 Numbers

Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS12NV
Best of luck with the conversion. I have been watching your progress as I am in the process of deciding on a new (forged) set-up for my car. I have the standard ATI kit (P1SC with twin intercoolers) like you. I am not sure if I should "bite the bullet" and upgrade both the head unit (to a D1SC or F1R) and the twins (to a single front-mounted unit) at the same time I do the motor, or take my chances and just upgrade the motor at this time. My worry is that my current set-up will be unable to adequately feed either a 383 LS6 stroker or 402 LS2 stroker. I am looking for 650-700 rwhp, and I think I'll be disappointed with just a motor upgrade at this time. I guess I can always upgrade the other components later (on an "as needed" basis), but it's probably easier (and cheaper) to replace the supercharger ductwork when the motor is out of the car. These mods are becoming very expensive!!!

Let us know if you see the power increases you are expecting...

LS12NV
I am making the power you are talking about with a little ole forged 346 with the A&A DS1C setup with and not having any issues at the present time with anything other than the insane power I have on the street
Old 03-12-2006, 11:28 AM
CantHookUp
Racer

Originally Posted by peter pan
I am making the power you are talking about with a little ole forged 346 with the A&A DS1C setup with and not having any issues at the present time with anything other than the insane power I have on the street
that would be the best for the street. Much less $$$ than I spent

If I could do it all over again .... I would forge my stock block. Medium cam (228/232/115lsa with around 585/590 lift. 280+cfm heads, Disc/F1 upgrade (10-12psi), and a single intercooler set-up. I currently have 582rwhp with 565rwtq because air intake temp issues and with belt slippage .. 8-9psi at 6500 even with Andy's bracket. After these mods I should be in the 700 + range. My air intake temp was 145 on a 50 degree day. The point is yesterday I found out that I can't run WOT because I can't hook up ..(BFG 315's Drag radials) So anything more than 550rwhp and 500rwtq is a waste on the street unless you are for a 100mph race start. ..... The best balance without going crazy

I can say that the 408 has some torque. 80mph to 140mph in a blink of a eye.

When I started this .... I was only looking for the 700+ hp number. I raced a blown viper with 900HP and was kicking his hiney all the way up to 90mph .. that's when his TQ kicked in and blew by. I had 480rwhp and 452 rwtq at the time.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
LS12NV
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan

Thanks for the input. Your set-up is VERY impressive! The big difference is that I am using a P1SC and twins at this time, versus your D1SC and FMIC. I'd like to save some money and just do the motor now (it's absolutely critical because of piston ring damage it sustained last autumn). From what people tell me, the standard ATI kit is not good for high hp applications, but I'd like to get as much out of it as I can. I hate having to spend money on the same part twice...but I think I will run into the same issues as "CantHookUp". The hp/tq numbers won't be high, likey due to the ATI standard set-up. Any advice for someone on a budget??? By the way, when I go forged, I will be upgrading to the A & A bracket and 8-rib set-up to help with the belt slippage issues...

What fuel system are your running?

Thanks,

LS12NV

Last edited by LS12NV; 03-12-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 408ci/D1 Numbers