C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Response from "Jim Bell" of Kenne Bell. In regards to KB S/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12
Default Response from "Jim Bell" of Kenne Bell. In regards to KB S/C

Hey Guys,
The reason I am posting this, is the company Kenne Bell (Mainly the owner Jim Bell) would like to respond to a few comments made in my other thread, as well as a few other ones. I felt that based on this response that it was worthy of a new thread for all the other guys that have been lurking on my other thread. Jim and his crew will be posting shortly in order to answer questions and hopefully clear any air when it comes to this S/C system. From the many hours that I have personally spoken to him and James, I have learned that he is an EXTREMELY intelligent man, and will be a HUGE asset to the C5 industry.

Hopefully James at Kenne Bell will answer as well. He is one cool guy and will also be a valueable asset to this section of the CF. He will bend over backwards to see to it that you are taken care of.

Unfortunately the no one will be able to post until they are confirmed as a "Supporting Vendor" They DO read the threads daily and are VERY aware of whats going on inthis section.
Please kep this civil so that when all is said and done, the people who are considering this kit can get REAL information that will better help them in making their decision.

I will be posting graphs in a second. I just need to load them into my computer.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Jim Bell
We’d like to open this post by letting everyone know we are not currently a supporting vendor of this site. That is all about to change. We fully intend to become a supporting vendor as well as a gold member (the paperwork is already being handled). We understand if the moderators wish to remove this post until then if they feel they need to, however our objective here is not to push or try to sell our products, but try to help clear up some misstatements and confusion about our new kit for the C5 Corvette.

KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Outside of our test cars, Jeff was the very first customer to install our new 2.6 on a ‘99-‘04 Corvette. I don’t think the instructions were even finished. Unfortunately, he and Rick also inherited some R & D issues because we had never tested a 402" engine with an 8 rib system. This resulted in a lot of speculation that put Jeff in a difficult position on a couple of issues. We had run hundreds of tests at up to 10 psi and 600 hp on the street and dyno with our “standard” 6 rib system and it does not slip. That was all the info we could give him except for some 8 rib pulleys to get started with.
Jeff was determined and agreed to do it at his own expense. We liked the idea because the 402 would be ?”over the top”, fun and exciting for Corvette owners ‚ I knew from my past experience with him at Dynojet that he would be honest and straightforward with the tests and feedback and ƒ he was setting the car up for the street with pump gas.
So let’s get to it and hopefully answer some questions.

SUPERCHARGER PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION

There appears to be confusion about Kenne Bell Twin Screw supercharger efficiencies and how it functions. There’s a lot of information about this on our website under “Supercharger Efficiency Explained” that may be of interest.
Here’s a simplified explanation that may help. First of all, the TS is a positive displacement type high efficiency supercharger at any rpm and boost. Jeff’s car has our latest 2.6L which is capable of up to 1000 EHP WITHOUT ANY BOOST DROP OFF.
This type of supercharger will continue to produce more air(CFM) as engine speed increases. The airflow does not “go away” at high rpm, so boost drop off is not a function of the supercharger itself. For example our 8% smaller 2.4L on Jeff’s engine will develop the exact same air flow and boost IF it is spun 8% faster (higher ratio via a smaller pulley). HP will also be nearly identical IF the power consumption of the supercharger (engine HP to drive it) is the same. The compression of air by any supercharger requires engine HP. That is unavoidable but always a factor. Unfortunately, power consumption is a seldom discussed much misunderstood subject in the engine HP equation and is worthy of it’s own discussion. Briefly, a 2.4L, depending on application, may use only another 5 engine HP to drive but it has 8% less HP potential(920hp vs. 1000hp). The Eaton/Roots style supercharger will ALWAYS consume more engine HP to drive whereas the centrifugal and twin screws are very close in parasitic loss. Just something to consider when comparing supercharger dyno runs with the same boost. Also, if the VE(volumetric efficiency-airflow in vs. airflow out) is lower on a supercharger at a higher rpm, there will be the dreaded boost drop off.

So what else besides supercharger efficiency can cause “boost drop off” in a supercharger or naturally aspirated engine? ? Obviously, belt slippage but more important ‚ restrictions in the inlet tract(filter, throttle body, tubing, mass air meter). That’s why there are larger throttle bodies, meters and filters for supercharged and naturally aspirated engines. Inlet restrictions reduce the air supply to the engine/supercharger. This is apparent on a supercharged engine via the boost gauge and HP output, but you would need a vacuum gauge for a NA engine. Consider this: 2" HG inlet loss is 1 psi of God’s boost(atmosphere weighs 14.7 psi at sea level) a mere 1 psi inlet restriction can cause a 6.8% engine power loss(14.7-13.7=1 psi. 1 psi¸14.7 psi =6.8%) in an NA engine or 3.5% at 14 psi supercharged. No supercharger, particularly the positive displacement TS and Eatons, like to be starved for air. At Kenne Bell, we spend considerable time on the flow bench and dynos analyzing and testing various components. We can state once and for all that “boost drop off” is not caused by the Kenne Bell supercharger.

Photo of 4v
Cobra on dyno

Dyno test of
4v Cobra

Example: This is the modified 4.6 4V Cobra motor out of the Earl’s Automotive/Kenne Bell test car- the first and only manual trans street legal non nitrous Cobra in the 9's. It made 960 hp at 21 psi with our 2.4l and cams on an engine dyno. There was no boost drop off with the 4.6 or 5.4 liter engines, 960 HP equates to around 1400cfm. Sorry for the Ford but we are currently comparing these engines to a 5.4l Ford GT at high HP levels. The supercharger doesn’t know or care if it’s a Ford or Chevy engine. It only cares if it can pump enough air to make the HP and boost desired.

ENGINE SIZE VS. BOOST

Next how does engine displacement affect boost? Here too, the actual formulas are on our site for those wishing to do their own calculations. If the engine displacement is larger, we merely increase the TS supercharger cfm via higher rpm(pulley change) or select a larger supercharger. The limits? The Kenne Bell 2.6L is rated at 950 HP and 25 psi max. That was all we could fit under the hood of the Corvettes. Our goal is for the supercharger to always pump more air into an engine regardless of size, cam, heads, etc., than the engine is capable of flowing. Thus, building up the desired back pressure(boost).

INLET RESTRICTIONS

If the Twin Screw supercharger size is adequate and the inlet system is NOT RESTRICTIVE, it will produce essentially the same boost from 2500 up. And, yes we dyno and flow bench tested a variety of Corvette inlet systems before deciding on the final configuration. Our combined inlet tube and filter flow of 1127 cfm, is more than enough to feed the stock 790 cfm throttle body. By comparison, the stock filter assembly flowed 751 cfm. There has also been a few question regarding the flat area of our inlet tube. This was necessary for hood clearance. The cross sectional area of the “flat” was increased and shaped to eliminate any restrictions, again it flows a whopping 1127 cfm. Someone asked if a 4" (101mm) tube would help. No it will not - by itself. Kenne Bell views an inlet system as an integral combination of components that must work together. A 4" flows 1327 cfm - but it can’t and won’t help with an undersized 3"(76mm) throttle body - or a 3.35" (85mm) mass air meter that restricts the flow of even a 90mm throttle body upgrade. However, the 4" may help if the 3.35" (85mm) mass air meter is eliminated and the TB is upped to 101mm. Get the point? It’s all about matching components on the flow bench and dyno to a particular HP level. Rick will be testing meters for Jeff to determine the actual HP gain from eliminating the meter in the 700 HP range. We concluded our production kit testing at 600 HP when the meter and injectors maxed out. We will be conducting more 5.7 test at considerably higher HP levels in the near future and comparing the results to Jeff’s 402".

CAMS AND BOOST

Finally, cams. We personally like the smooth idle of the stock Z06 cam. A good higher duration street cam will improve engine breathing and, therefore, may drop the boost around 1 psi. A 20-30 HP cam upgrade will not make the supercharger gasp for air. Don’t be concerned, no problem. Just take 4 minutes, screw on an 1/8" smaller pulley and the boost is back. Remember, it’s all about air flow - our pump making your pump(engine) more powerful with back pressure. If the supercharger has the potential HP rating, boost can be increased up to the manufacturer’s recommendations for boost and rpm. And if the boost drops off with out Twin Screw and the belt isn’t slipping, go work on upgrading the inlet system. You’re making 700 hp and want more? Just increase the boost and add more octane - that is if there is adequate fuel and engine reliability.
A good rule of thumb is it requires 1.5 octane to support 1 psi of boost which can range from 13-20 hp per psi depending on inlet restriction. Air flow is everything - the more air the more HP.
We love the Corvette market and we live superchargers and turbos. It’s all we’ve done since 1976. Hopefully, we’ve answered some of your questions.

Last edited by Jeff @ TPE; 05-15-2006 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added photo and graph
Old 05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
BoostedToy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. If/when I go with a FI setup, the KB is what I will be going with. I had a 2.2L on my 03' Cobra. It was more fun to drive than my 97'Cobra which I had a GT47 on making 1007rwhp, even though the 2.2 KB was "only" making 570rwhp. The instant torque made it a blast to drive.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to seeing some 2.73 geared stock stalled C5s pulling low 10s, high 9s soon!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:32 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for this post! It's informative and I'm looking forward to having KB here!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ttt

Jeff,
It will be nice and refreashing to have Jim on on here.
Now back to work for me,
Brent
Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Major Smoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Quote from Jim Bell:
"First of all, the TS is a positive displacement type high efficiency supercharger at any rpm and boost. Jeff’s car has our latest 2.6L which is capable of up to 1000 EHP WITHOUT ANY BOOST DROP OFF.
This type of supercharger will continue to produce more air(CFM) as engine speed increases. The airflow does not “go away” at high rpm, so boost drop off is not a function of the supercharger itself. For example our 8% smaller 2.4L on Jeff’s engine will develop the exact same air flow and boost IF it is spun 8% faster (higher ratio via a smaller pulley). HP will also be nearly identical IF the power consumption of the supercharger (engine HP to drive it) is the same."
Is there any reason why one couldn't (or shouldn't) run a 2.4L unit in the manner described, in order to reduce hood height requirements... or is the outer case size not proportionally smaller?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:08 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by Major Smoke
Is there any reason why one couldn't (or shouldn't) run a 2.4L unit in the manner described, in order to reduce hood height requirements... or is the outer case size not proportionally smaller?
In my research of the Ford forums I read a few threads that stated the case itself is NOT different. Its only the internals of the S/C. So it would not allow for a different hood. PLUS, you would want expandibility of the system. And I personally dont think the the 2.4 would give you that ability.
I could be wrong though.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're stuck replacing the hood either way might as well have the larger head-unit.

Can KB share the results of their inlet testing with various TB's and so on? That might be interesting.

Mark
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by mdhmi
If you're stuck replacing the hood either way might as well have the larger head-unit.

Can KB share the results of their inlet testing with various TB's and so on? That might be interesting.

Mark
I am currently on the phone with Jim Bell as I am typing this and have been for almost an hour. I will ask if this is possible..
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 PM
TT C6
Racer

Can you get a C6 system release date?

Sorry,
I had to ask.

THANKS.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:33 PM
shakainc
Drifting

So I take it this will not fit under and ACI hood?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:38 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

I know that you're just the messenger Jeff, but maybe you know, maybe you don't, but why didn't KB use a jackshaft system like the Maggies use and have the intake running straight into the front of the blower? I'd think that the 90° turn at the back has got to be hurting the airflow some.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:39 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by TT C6
Can you get a C6 system release date?

Sorry,
I had to ask.

THANKS.
He just told me he is waiting on a car to test.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
I know that you're just the messenger Jeff, but maybe you know, maybe you don't, but why didn't KB use a jackshaft system like the Maggies use and have the intake running straight into the front of the blower? I'd think that the 90° turn at the back has got to be hurting the airflow some.
I think really it had to do with efficiency. We touched on that briefly in our conversation. If I remember correctly, they were abe to have better efficiency at the a higher power level than the maggie. So the question is, why would you want to do it?
One thing that we have come to realize is that this system is maxed out right around 730-750rwhp. Over the last couple days we have been ableto reduce the timing, but INCREASE the rwhp by 30rwhp. Our final #'s are 730rwhp & 750rwtq. BUT, I am sure that if we ran it a litle more aggressive, we would have no problems hitting 75+rwhp.

Here's the thing.. The S/C itself is MORE than capable of producing the power. Its the MAF, TB, and intake tube thats the problem. When we removed the MAF we were able to drop the timing by 6 points, increase the boost by 1psi, and actually make the same power.

IF someone can come up with a larger MAF we will easily make 50-75 more rwhp.

Last edited by Jeff @ TPE; 05-15-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:21 PM
R&D
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear this Jeff.

I was thinking about this last night. To the best of my knowledge, the largest DBW TB is 90mm. The TB is really the only bottleneck as the MAF can be eliminated and the intake can be revamped. I know 105m is a common TB, but you'd have to go over to a cable system for that (plus deal with the computer issues associated with that conversion).

What about boring out a stock LS2 TB? Can this be done? I'd guess even a few mm would reap rewards with a bore that size if this restriction theory is correct.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:47 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

I think really it had to do with efficiency. We touched on that briefly in our conversation. If I remember correctly, they were abe to have better efficiency at the more power level as the maggie. So the question is, why would you want to do it?
One thing that we have come to realize is that this system is maxed out right around 730-750rwhp. Over the last couple days we have been ableto reduce the timing, but INCREASE the rwhp by 30rwhp. Our final #'s are 730rwhp & 750rwtq. BUT, I am sure that if we ran it a litle more aggressive, we would have no problems hitting 75+rwhp.

Here's the thing.. The S/C itself is MORE than capable of producing the power. Its the MAF, TB, and intake tube thats the problem. When we removed the MAF we were able to drop the timing by 6 points, increase the boost by 1psi, and actually make the same power.
The numbers that you have gotten aren't anything to throw your nose up at! Your car is going to ROCK (if you can hook it up). I'm looking forward to reading about your driving impressions and maybe seeing a video or two (a little, not so subtle hint there ). Dollar for dollar, I think they'll sell a whole bunch of these to guys that don't want their car to be as radical as yours is. It's going to take a bite out of Maggies market.

I guess what I'm asking is if KB had put the jackshaft on this blower, and turned it around like the Maggie, then the intake would be right in front and that tube would be basically eliminated. The MAF wouldn't come into play because of the SD tune, but I understand that the throttle body would now be the restriction, and there's no way around that one (except a custom, HUGE throttle body). Would that way significantly drop the efficiency of the blower?

I'm by no means trying to start an argument (there was enough of that on the othere thread ). I'm just trying to learn more about this blower and why they designed it the way they did. Personally, I'd like to know what Jim Bell has forgotten about twin screws.

Thanks for the answers!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

... we have come to realize is that this system is maxed out right around 730-750rwhp. Over the last couple days we have been ableto reduce the timing, but INCREASE the rwhp by 30rwhp. Our final #'s are 730rwhp & 750rwtq. .

Hmmmm..I recognize that number. Congrats, btw.

Get notified of new replies

To Response from "Jim Bell" of Kenne Bell. In regards to KB S/C

Old 05-15-2006, 08:16 PM
R&D
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R&D

Sorry to hear this Jeff.

I was thinking about this last night. To the best of my knowledge, the largest DBW TB is 90mm. The TB is really the only bottleneck as the MAF can be eliminated and the intake can be revamped. I know 105m is a common TB, but you'd have to go over to a cable system for that (plus deal with the computer issues associated with that conversion).

What about boring out a stock LS2 TB? Can this be done? I'd guess even a few mm would reap rewards with a bore that size if this restriction theory is correct.
Okay, another idea... What about going to twin DBW TB's??? Could the singal be split and made to work with the factory computer???
Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Third Gear
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
When I went down there a few months ago to nose around, they told me that they're unable to get any reverse rotation rotors and all the blowers they make are standard rotation... so that would be another reason. The maggie looks a tad bit cleaner, but... who cares? It works.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:32 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by Earl H
Hmmmm..I recognize that number. Congrats, btw.
To be quite honest with you Earl, we had to eliminate the MAF in order to get there. IF for some reason I do not like the way the SD tune runs, I will replace the MAF and live with the lower power.
What sucks is, is the fact that I am limited by the darn intake restrictions. "IF" someone was to come out with a 95mm MAF and a 95mm TB, we would easily hit high 700's
But at this point in time, I will settle for a measly 730rwhp and 750rwtq.

Quick Reply: Response from "Jim Bell" of Kenne Bell. In regards to KB S/C