C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Own a Z06 W/Magnacharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
S/CZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Own a Z06 W/Magnacharger?

If you own a C5 Z06 W/ a Magnacharger supercharger package, please respond and help me. Mine is a 2001, and I installed the Magnacharger intercooled package myself. Other than that, the car is bone stock.
Here is my question-after the blower installation, how much of a difference could you tell in your car? I expected a huge "seat of the pants", throw you back in the seat feeling of horsepower, but honestly I was kind of disappointed.
I CAN tell that it has more power, but more like when youre going 60 in 6th gear and you just put your foot in it rather than shift down, it definitely accelerates faster than stock, Ive even timed it. But wide open, like a quarter mile run-I dont FEEL much difference. Did I just expect too much or what?
It honestly feels like the gain Id expect out of a set of headers, not a supercharger. Maybe 30-40 hp.
Stock, GM says my car accels from 50-70 in 6th gear in 8.6. I can time mine doing it in 7 flat.
Stock, GM says my car does the 1/4 in 12.7 @ 113.
I did it on a slick track on stock tires in 12.6 @ 117. (Leaving the line was like I was on wet pavement. 1st would just slip and slide, and Id end up shifting early into 2nd, so obviously this time is slow.)
Anybody who has a very similar car who could give me their opinion would really help me out. How much of a difference did you feel? Im just tired of wondering if I got ripped off, or if I just expected too much. Thanks, friends.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S/CZ06
If you own a C5 Z06 W/ a Magnacharger supercharger package, please respond and help me. Mine is a 2001, and I installed the Magnacharger intercooled package myself. Other than that, the car is bone stock.
Here is my question-after the blower installation, how much of a difference could you tell in your car? I expected a huge "seat of the pants", throw you back in the seat feeling of horsepower, but honestly I was kind of disappointed.
I CAN tell that it has more power, but more like when youre going 60 in 6th gear and you just put your foot in it rather than shift down, it definitely accelerates faster than stock, Ive even timed it. But wide open, like a quarter mile run-I dont FEEL much difference. Did I just expect too much or what?
It honestly feels like the gain Id expect out of a set of headers, not a supercharger. Maybe 30-40 hp.
Stock, GM says my car accels from 50-70 in 6th gear in 8.6. I can time mine doing it in 7 flat.
Stock, GM says my car does the 1/4 in 12.7 @ 113.
I did it on a slick track on stock tires in 12.6 @ 117. (Leaving the line was like I was on wet pavement. 1st would just slip and slide, and Id end up shifting early into 2nd, so obviously this time is slow.)
Anybody who has a very similar car who could give me their opinion would really help me out. How much of a difference did you feel? Im just tired of wondering if I got ripped off, or if I just expected too much. Thanks, friends.

car might need a tune......a trap of 117 is what a stock 02-04 can do with cold air......you should be more along the lines of 123-124 or so...

have a boost gauge connected you getting whatever amount of psi you're supposed to be seein?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 PM
S/CZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by undertaker
car might need a tune......a trap of 117 is what a stock 02-04 can do with cold air......you should be more along the lines of 123-124 or so...

have a boost gauge connected you getting whatever amount of psi you're supposed to be seein?
No boost gauge. No belt slip. Car runs perfectly, no check engine.
How much will traction loss off the line affect your MPH? I recall on this particular run that my tires were spinning so badly that a stock Civic Si jumped out 1 car length on me off the line. (his rear bumper was in front of my front bumper.)
My increase in 50-70 in 6th gear time I feel is substantial. Just not seeing it overall. Remember that GMs time is with an experienced driver, which I am by no means.

Last edited by S/CZ06; 07-24-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has your car been dyno tuned or are you running the tune that comes on the programmer when you buy the MagnaCharger kit?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:09 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You need to put the car in Comp Mode by pressing the button twice on the console.

The active handling will limit your acceleration. A good profeesional tune will help.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Has your car been dyno tuned or are you running the tune that comes on the programmer when you buy the MagnaCharger kit?
the factory Magnacharger tune is not so hot.. Get a custom tune... You should be able to trap around 120-122mph even with tire spin..
Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 PM
ace996
Pro

I have a 2002 Z with an intercooled maggie, with several other mods. Water/methanol injection will go a long way for the maggies, as it fights the heat-soak inherent in the water/air intercooler and heating of the intake charge. Your power will be more consistant.

What pulley are you running? What tune do you have?
I'm running a 3.2inch pulley and a custom tune by ECS and couldn't really be happier. The pull is nothing short of phenomenal.

Just this evening, my friend brought home is freshly Stage4'd 2002 911 Turbo X50. We went out for a ride and our two cars couldn't be any closer to even. The maggie did it's job pretty well. Taking rides in both cars, mine feels faster...more raw, with a strong rip compared to a very smooth "flush" of power from the P-car.

Get a good road/dyno tune with some meth and you should be quite impressed.

-ace
Old 07-24-2006, 11:15 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No boost gauge. No belt slip. Car runs perfectly, no check engine.
How much will traction loss off the line affect your MPH? I recall on this particular run that my tires were spinning so badly that a stock Civic Si jumped out 1 car length on me off the line. (his rear bumper was in front of my front bumper.)
My increase in 50-70 in 6th gear time I feel is substantial. Just not seeing it overall. Remember that GMs time is with an experienced driver, which I am by no means.
Actually poor traction can help MPH (as you have more time to get there), but at a certain point you're shooting yourself in the food (especially if you're spinning so bad that you're smacking the rev limiter, etc).

Do you have a dyno available locally so you could at least do a pull with a wideband 02 to verify that no timing is being pulled, your A/F mix is correct, etc?

Perhaps a smaller blower pulley and a full dyno tune?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 PM
S/CZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Im running Magnachargers generic tune.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:58 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Im running Magnachargers generic tune.
Yup--I'd start with that first
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
BigLew
Burning Brakes

Default IC maggie

You might also check that hoses are not in the way of the waste gate valve. I had mine ride up to where it would allow it to close all the way!!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Something is definitely not right. Whether it's the tune or a hose or something...but you should be able to feel a noticeable difference. You should've gained an honest 100 rwhp with the magnacharger.

With that said; what was the temperature the day you ran the car at the track? If it were 100 degrees, I would say that trapping 117 wasn't too bad. Maybe just a better tune and driving the car correctly could get you over 120 MPH.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:04 PM
itchynackers
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LPE did my install/tune. No other mods at the time. Now I have an exhaust. I went from 358 rwhp to 507 rwhp. My traps range from 124 - 126mph. Traction is certainly a problem. As a side note, I've had my maggie on for about 2500 miles now and have never floored it in 6th gear. Not sure why anyone would. Rarely in 5th (over 140 mph). I run a 3.4 pulley. Try some 2nd gear pulls. You should be spinning pretty good as opposed to stock not spinning in 2nd. I suspect the tune is your problem. You could gain another 40 rwhp easy with a good tune.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 AM
YeloZ06
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by itchynackers
LPE did my install/tune. No other mods at the time. Now I have an exhaust. I went from 358 rwhp to 507 rwhp. My traps range from 124 - 126mph. Traction is certainly a problem. As a side note, I've had my maggie on for about 2500 miles now and have never floored it in 6th gear. Not sure why anyone would. Rarely in 5th (over 140 mph). I run a 3.4 pulley. Try some 2nd gear pulls. You should be spinning pretty good as opposed to stock not spinning in 2nd. I suspect the tune is your problem. You could gain another 40 rwhp easy with a good tune.
I have an 02 Z06 with an intercooled Maggie. I would start with your tune. The Maggie tune is light. I went from 360 rwhp to 517 rwhp. Only mods are VaraRam, B&B exhaust and a 90mm inlet and throttle body (also a tune). You should definitely feel a huge difference! The tires will spin if you floor it. It pulls very hard. I am thinking about going to a 3.3 pulley. We tried a 2.8 pulley and cracked to pistons . Other than that no problems! Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Own a Z06 W/Magnacharger?

Quick Reply: Own a Z06 W/Magnacharger?