C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytics and FI-they don't mix well!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
eb02z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Catalytics and FI-they don't mix well!

Well I went to the track yesterday to best my 10.60. Waited in line for 2 hours to make my one and only pass. Conditions where good but the waiting in line to make a pass made my IAT temps climb up to 120 degrees-thank god for the meth cause it dropped the temps down to 72 degrees. My one and only pass wasn't the greates-the car bogged of the line and just didn't "feel" right? I looked in the rear view to see a huge cloud of dust behind me. I figured I just blew the motor-but a quick glance at the guages showed everything to be working fine-vacuum at idle was a steady 16 inch's. So I go to grab my slip and they said "hold on-pull over". Mmmm So i did-they asked me if the car was "sandblasted recently"-i was like no, then they asked me if I was at the beach recently-again I said no? They said I dumped a huge amount of sand down the track-I couldn't explain it but I said it couldn't of been from my car. So i went back and pitted-gave the car some throttle but she seemed slow to respond-checked my log to see everyhting was okay but noticed my fuel trims on my bank 2 went lean? That didn't seem normal. so my buddies come over and asked what happened? I didn't know what to say-so we watched the vid. You can see a huge cloud of smoke come out right after a launch from the my left right tailpipe. Sure enough the whole back of my car was covered in white dust. Got in the car and revved it and more smoke and chunks of something kept coming out-my converter exploded! So I decided to call it a day since it was my wifes birthday and i told her I'd be home early. On the ride home everytime I gave it some throttle I would leae a cloud a smoke until finally nothing and my car became very loud with the GHL's. Sorry for the long story but my question is-is there any converters strong enough for FI and running Meth? The converters where factory issue Z06 converters-which where really nice for keeping the sound levels normal. I've heard good and bad about the Random Tech's-then there's the new Metal Cat? But most people seem to just dump the cats-if i did that how much would i lose if I took off my GHL's and got some Z06 Ti's? Or what about Ford-what do they use on the 03 Cobra's and GT's?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interested too....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

try the random stainless steel super high flow 3" cats. they are designed to be more durable than the brittle ceramics which don't live well under boost as you figured out. they don't cost much HP either and keep you legal in states that require them.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just dump the Cats and put on the Z06 cat-back.It will make alot more HP.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Damn I was thinking of going with some cats, maybe I should hold off
Old 10-09-2006, 11:55 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

im going catless for just this reason, if i loose a cat, i loose a turbo too

im having a custom section fabricated for me
Old 10-09-2006, 11:59 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have thought about this quite a bit before. I would love to make or find something like this.

Think that would be the ideal solution for my needs. The main issue is finding the space. Maybe staggered.

Last edited by QuickSilver2002; 10-10-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

My cats work great with FI!!! I might add that they are custom made...

JB
Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
My cats work great with FI!!! I might add that they are custom made...

JB
Mine too, but they usually run and hide when I start the car. I get pissed when they leave paw prints on the car.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by QuickSilver2002
Mine too, but they usually run and hide when I start the car. I get pissed when they leave paw prints on the car.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 AM
eb02z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

So guys is the consesus that they just don't last? I did some searching and it seems that the Mustang guys with the 03-04 Cobra's when they turn the boost up also destroy them. Has anyone heard of Metal Cats? There supposed to be boost friendly?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have thought about this quite a bit before. I would love to make or find something like this.

Think that would be the ideal solution for my needs. The main issue is finding the space. Maybe staggered.
I have run Random Tech metal matrix cats on my convertible (tt) car for a few months without issue. They still appear to be in good condition.

Quick, I agree with your thought but my thinking was to do that with the mufflers, not with the cats. I may be way off base but I am guessing that even high flow mufflers are providing roughly the same restriction as a pair of Random Tech cats. Think about the number of sharp bends exhaust gas goes through between the cats and the exit of the exhaust...

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm
Old 10-10-2006, 10:35 AM
2001-WS6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things that CATs don't like, higher and hotter than spec flow... and Ricchhhhhhh exhaust. So they hate FI.

Options:

Goto to high flow CATs that will last a bit longer.

Dump the CATs and run the exhaust which is subject to local testing issues.

Look into a Electric or Boost activated cutout which might get by the testing issues and gives you the best of all worlds as a semi green citizen.

I'm not green so I went Catless and cutout.

Rick
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a set of metallic substrate converters like the Random Tech, Dynatech Headers Metal Cat or the new Magnaflow/Car Sound 9000 series SS spun CATs. I have been running the RTs in my car since 1996 with a 12 PSI Vortec and have not had any problems.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set of 3" high flow cats I got from the vette doctors when I bought my kooks headers about 3 years ago and they are still working fine.
Don't know the brand but if you contact Carmen I'm sure he can steer you in the right direction.
P.S. 10lbs boost with meth. and a few other goodies, over 10,000 miles.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

awesome idea, you could probably use a waste gate if the opening and closing was big enough

or maybe parts from the C6 Z06 i know it had MAP referenced muffler cutouts, but im not sure how it works

IO love that idea
Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by diynoob
I have run Random Tech metal matrix cats on my convertible (tt) car for a few months without issue. They still appear to be in good condition.

Quick, I agree with your thought but my thinking was to do that with the mufflers, not with the cats. I may be way off base but I am guessing that even high flow mufflers are providing roughly the same restriction as a pair of Random Tech cats. Think about the number of sharp bends exhaust gas goes through between the cats and the exit of the exhaust...

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm
I don’t think mufflers introduce near the restriction that cats do (it obviously depends on the design, but many provide massive flow). And I don’t even think I would run mufflers on a turbo car with cats. The turbos + cats would pretty much act like mufflers in the first place. I would just run something like these http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...49&BIG=31049-1

Those plus a cat bypass should give you performance that is pretty much equal to downpipe cutouts at WOT. Without any issues of exhaust leaking out

This is pretty much the exact approach I’m going to eventually take on my twin turbo GTO. I’m replacing the mufflers with a 3.5 inch pipe. I’m then going to fabricate what I have pictured above (but I’m probably going to end up with electric cutouts). The cats can be cheap universals since they are really only used in cruising conditions.

The main thing I’m worried about is if the cutouts can handle the heat when located that far up front.

Get notified of new replies

To Catalytics and FI-they don't mix well!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool idea however the gate would constantly change the backpressure which would constantly change the tuning. I think your sensors would
(not to mention the serious lack of space under your car for this)
Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Cool idea however the gate would constantly change the backpressure which would constantly change the tuning. I think your sensors would
(not to mention the serious lack of space under your car for this)
Not really, the butterfly would consistently open with boost.

o2 sensors are only impacted by extreme backpressure (like before the turbo). I don't think this setup would give a WB or NB any problems at all. The car does not use the 02 sensors at WOT anyway.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well actually this thread is worrisome to me. Never thought of the catalytic converter's interaction in all this. Since I am planning on getting an STS system installed next week, obviously having the cats come unglued would pose a real problem. I have the high flow through cats from LGM that I got installed along with my long tube headers and X-pipe.

So is this a cause for pause in my plans?

Quick Reply: Catalytics and FI-they don't mix well!