C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Always looking for a better way to cool forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Always looking for a better way to cool forced induction

This is kind of a follow up to a prior question. I recently had a Procharger Stage II installed on my car. The two intercoolers sit directly behind the front brake duct openings. If I was to fabricate, using part of the front brake ducts, a duct that goes from these openings and encloses the front of the intercoolers so that all air going into these ducts have nowhere to go, but through the intercoolers, would this help? I am concerned that this “only” route to the intercoolers may deprive them from getting air in certain other conditions. So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clayton, did you upgrade your radiator? I've seen someone installed Spal fans behind the dual intercoolers to help keep it cooled during staging.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportsdude
Clayton, did you upgrade your radiator? I've seen someone installed Spal fans behind the dual intercoolers to help keep it cooled during staging.
I may be wrong, but I think that EPP has done an install as you mention. I've seen pics on here somewhere
Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I may be wrong, but I think that EPP has done an install as you mention. I've seen pics on here somewhere
Scotty, (NemesisC5)

At the moment, I am not having any cooling problems, but summer here in Vegas has not hit yet. I’m not looking to install any additional fans, just looking for a way to utilize some “free” airflow. So what do you think of the idea of fabricating ducts direct from the front brake ducts (not being used for the brakes) and having them enclose the front of the intercoolers. My concern is will this cause some other problems with them when the car is standing still. I’m sure that when the car is traveling forward, it will get good airflow, as it will be a sort of “ram air” for the intercoolers. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LV Vette
This is kind of a follow up to a prior question. I recently had a Procharger Stage II installed on my car. The two intercoolers sit directly behind the front brake duct openings. If I was to fabricate, using part of the front brake ducts, a duct that goes from these openings and encloses the front of the intercoolers so that all air going into these ducts have nowhere to go, but through the intercoolers, would this help? I am concerned that this “only” route to the intercoolers may deprive them from getting air in certain other conditions. So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
should help! i mean you have to get the air to go through the intercooler to get any effect from it. i say go for it.

the fans behind the intercoolers should help when at low speeds but might be restrictive as the speed builds.

thanks CHirs.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:43 AM
1a-play
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have twins with air/water intercoolers- maybe that would help;
Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
E.A.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas

Clayton, I have personally run those twins through VERY VERY hot times. 108-110 degrees on some days, in summer. (One car that I have them on runs between 28-32psi of boost)

And have not had any issues with the twins. They cool down almost instantly back to ambient temps once you are out of boost. To the people that are putting the fans on them, I can tell you I have personally tried that, and did back to back comparisons, and it did NOTHING. Other then make my alternator hate me.....because those spal fans draw boat loads of current.

The only time a small Spal fan has come in handy, is when I located the tranny cooler up inside a fender, with absolutely no area for airflow to get to it. Then it can in handy, and it was very justified.

You can either leave them the way they come, and they work very very well. OR, I guess you can try to get more air to them.

BUT REMEMBER THIS...... air in air out. You have to make sure to think about the path the airflow is going to take both in and out. And how it's gonna react in the car.

I know I have personally experimented on other cars with Intercooler placement, and been very very surprised at times. Because of how the airflow changes in front of a car, once it's going 60+ MPH. Weird things happen to the low/ high pressure areas in the front of cars at speed.

Happy Boooooooost'n
EA
Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
0Brian@FI Performance
Former Vendor

Location: FI Performance : Norwalk Connecticut www.FIPERFORMANCE.com

Opinions based on my experience with twin IC based systems in Audi 2.7TT motors...

OK guys, here is an idea for all you twin IC guys looking to get better "sort of free" cooling. Water is your friend in this case. What we do and I have done this on my personal S4 and it has taken care of high heat soak issues in highway conditions. I have a intercooler misting system wherein I have a water tank in the trunk which feeds twin spray nozzles from pesticide sprayers firing directly onto the IC via high pressure pump. Water combined with moving air = drop in IAT's. One could go with the SPA Dual Intercooler Gauge to see the temp drops in real time pre/post IC's.

For triggering, I use a foot peddle high beam / low beam switch or could have the SPA gauge trigger the pump when post IC temps hit a certian temp. This is what we do with great results on the Audi's, I developed my design some 5 years ago and fill the tank everytime I get gas, on of my most creative and functional mods yet.

Brian
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM
blown in n.c.
Drifting

You also might look at Stillen.com to get some ideas of "shrouds" used to direct airflow on IC on the 300ZXs.

The Carravagio cannards should direct some air in there as well--see avatar.

I've had twin IC since early 2003 without problems.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Scotty, (NemesisC5)

At the moment, I am not having any cooling problems, but summer here in Vegas has not hit yet. I’m not looking to install any additional fans, just looking for a way to utilize some “free” airflow. So what do you think of the idea of fabricating ducts direct from the front brake ducts (not being used for the brakes) and having them enclose the front of the intercoolers. My concern is will this cause some other problems with them when the car is standing still. I’m sure that when the car is traveling forward, it will get good airflow, as it will be a sort of “ram air” for the intercoolers. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Clayton, I think attaching ducts to close them in would cause higher heat while in traffic and around town. I think it could only be beneficial while highway driving, in that case as you said it would give you higher air volume by capturing the air thus giving the "ram air effect. IMHO, I would leave off the brake ducts as I believe ATI recommends. Use Alky to give you lower than ambient temps while in boost(if you haven't already)

Originally Posted by Brian@ICS Performance
Opinions based on my experience with twin IC based systems in Audi 2.7TT motors...

OK guys, here is an idea for all you twin IC guys looking to get better "sort of free" cooling. Water is your friend in this case. What we do and I have done this on my personal S4 and it has taken care of high heat soak issues in highway conditions. I have a intercooler misting system wherein I have a water tank in the trunk which feeds twin spray nozzles from pesticide sprayers firing directly onto the IC via high pressure pump. Water combined with moving air = drop in IAT's. One could go with the SPA Dual Intercooler Gauge to see the temp drops in real time pre/post IC's.

For triggering, I use a foot peddle high beam / low beam switch or could have the SPA gauge trigger the pump when post IC temps hit a certian temp. This is what we do with great results on the Audi's, I developed my design some 5 years ago and fill the tank everytime I get gas, on of my most creative and functional mods yet.

Brian

I like your approach to things like this Brian, utilizing the technology of the SPA gauges to trigger a very effective and proven method of cooling. Air + Water =
Old 03-09-2007, 01:25 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=NemesisC5;1559288258]Clayton, I think attaching ducts to close them in would cause higher heat while in traffic and around town. I think it could only be beneficial while highway driving, in that case as you said it would give you higher air volume by capturing the air thus giving the "ram air effect. IMHO, I would leave off the brake ducts as I believe ATI recommends. Use Alky to give you lower than ambient temps while in boost(if you haven't already)
Thanks for your input. I think you are right about causing heating problems around town. By the way, I do have alky injection. Never can be too safe.

Clayton from Las Vegas

Last edited by LV Vette; 03-23-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Brian
Brain, great idea mate! its tried and tested and costs vertually nothing to run! the rally guy have been using it for YEARS and YEARS. its also used in truck racing i think!! have you thought about running iced water in the tank???? could only help reduce the temps even further!!

also this system is MUCH cheaper than the N2O spray bar type systems and should cool the intercoolers for longer periods.

thanks Chris.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 AM
E.A.
Racer

Your intercoolers are right in front of your wheels.......

Please don't spray them down, while at the race track PLEASE.
The last thing I want is water in my lane, in two patches that happen to be the same as the tire tracks.

The only cars I have seen spray water on the intercoolers.
The intercoolers are mounted on either the top of the motor, or out in front, in the middle.

If you do it, just be mindful of where the excess water goes.
EA
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
eb02z06
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Isn't where the ATI intercoolers go the same place where Lingenfelter and APS put theres? Are the ATI intercoolers a similar size and design-I mean if it's good enough for LPE and APS it's gotta be a pretty decent place. I've often thought about swaping over to this setup to clear up the area infront of the rad.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
0Brian@FI Performance
Former Vendor

Location: FI Performance : Norwalk Connecticut www.FIPERFORMANCE.com

Originally Posted by E.A.
Your intercoolers are right in front of your wheels.......

Please don't spray them down, while at the race track PLEASE.
The last thing I want is water in my lane, in two patches that happen to be the same as the tire tracks.

The only cars I have seen spray water on the intercoolers.
The intercoolers are mounted on either the top of the motor, or out in front, in the middle.

If you do it, just be mindful of where the excess water goes.
EA
When done correctly with the right size nozzles and pump psi, a fine mist is generated, by the time the mist passes through the IC, it has vaporised but I hear what you are saying. Guys, we are not talking about garden hose style spraying, a very fine mist, nothing more.

Brian
Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

When done correctly with the right size nozzles and pump psi, a fine mist is generated, by the time the mist passes through the IC, it has vaporised but I hear what you are saying. Guys, we are not talking about garden hose style spraying, a very fine mist, nothing more.

Brian

Brian, I definetely caught your drift Bro Maybe you could think about offering a kit, might be a good marketing angle for moving some SPA "intercooler temp in/out gauges". I'm pretty sure some of us guy's in the deep South could use it
Old 03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if EnglandGreen can cook up some form of a liquid nitrogen cooling system

Keith

Get notified of new replies

To Always looking for a better way to cool forced induction

Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
E.A.
Racer

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Brian, I definetely caught your drift Bro Maybe you could think about offering a kit, might be a good marketing angle for moving some SPA "intercooler temp in/out gauges". I'm pretty sure some of us guy's in the deep South could use it

Those gauges already exist. I know SP Engineering has them, lots and lots of supra owners use them.

And yes, mist no big deal. But then there will always be that guy that thinks bigger is better, and I can just see it now.....and if the intercooler isn't hot enough, to evaporate the mist, it's still going to collect and drip.

Still to me this is a none issue, but hey, I guess to each his own I guess. One of the main cars to use that system, also has the intercooler in about most heat soaked area of a car. (TOP OF THE MOTOR)

EA
Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 PM
0EPP
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by E.A.
Clayton, I have personally run those twins through VERY VERY hot times. 108-110 degrees on some days, in summer. (One car that I have them on runs between 28-32psi of boost)

And have not had any issues with the twins. They cool down almost instantly back to ambient temps once you are out of boost. To the people that are putting the fans on them, I can tell you I have personally tried that, and did back to back comparisons, and it did NOTHING. Other then make my alternator hate me.....because those spal fans draw boat loads of current.

The only time a small Spal fan has come in handy, is when I located the tranny cooler up inside a fender, with absolutely no area for airflow to get to it. Then it can in handy, and it was very justified.

You can either leave them the way they come, and they work very very well. OR, I guess you can try to get more air to them.

BUT REMEMBER THIS...... air in air out. You have to make sure to think about the path the airflow is going to take both in and out. And how it's gonna react in the car.

I know I have personally experimented on other cars with Intercooler placement, and been very very surprised at times. Because of how the airflow changes in front of a car, once it's going 60+ MPH. Weird things happen to the low/ high pressure areas in the front of cars at speed.

Happy Boooooooost'n
EA

We added the fans on this C5 in an effort to drop the inlet air temps after extended track use where this car is being used on a road course.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40
The owner was noticing a large drop off in power after repeated laps with a lot of wide open throttle use. We don't yet know if the fans will help while on the track, but they should help to cool the intercoolers down once the car is pitted. Bob
Old 03-10-2007, 02:19 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by EPP
The owner was noticing a large drop off in power after repeated laps with a lot of wide open throttle use. We don't yet know if the fans will help while on the track, but they should help to cool the intercoolers down once the car is pitted. Bob
I would think if the fans make a difference while the car is moving along at a good pace, then the location of the intercooler would be the problem. I can't imagine that the fans will move air faster then the car moving over 50mph.

JMHO,

Clayton from Las Vegas

Quick Reply: Always looking for a better way to cool forced induction