C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT ET streets much better then BFG drag radials?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default MT ET streets much better then BFG drag radials?

I’m thinking of getting some MT ET street drag radials. They only come in 275/40-17 size, but I will have the wheels to use them. I currently have BFG drag radials in 295/35-18. What I am looking for is a tire that will absorb more shock on launch to help prevent breaking things. How much better are these tires then the BFG’s in that department?

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 03-24-2007, 02:20 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

52 looks and no opinions? Hmmmmmmmmm...sad
Old 03-24-2007, 03:07 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ET Streets are considered much easier on the driveline than drag radials. I run drag radials (Nittos) on the street and ET's at the track.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run et streets, not et street radials if you want to lessen the shock on your driveline. especially if your a 6 speed.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TYSON1997
run et streets, not et street radials if you want to lessen the shock on your driveline. especially if your a 6 speed.

Et streets absorb the shock to the drivetrain at the drags better than Drag Radials (and sorry this does not really answer your question but i have experience with all the tires you mention except the MT drag radials which i have heard are a great sticky drag radial (possbily stickier than the BFGs from what i have heard only from a few folks here)!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 03-25-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM
24v
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran 2 sets of the bfg's in 275/40/17, and have been through 2 sets of the ET Street Radials in the same size as well. My 60' times greatly improved after switching to the MT's. I realize the BFG's are not the size you have, so I cannot comment on the difference in that aspect, sorry.
That said, I have cut a best of 1.53 60' in my stock suspension GTO with the MT's.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:16 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My BFG drag radials are almost done, and I am also looking into MT drag radials. I just saw these Hoosier drag radials in Summit, has anyone tried these. They look more aggressive than the MT drag radials.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TYSON1997
The more sidewall the tire has the more stree/shock it will absorb from the launch. That is one reason that Top Fuel cars run a 33" tire on a 15" rim( I know the other is RPM/MPH ). I have heard that the 17" ET street is harder on the driveline than a DR. This is main due to the ET Street having more grip, but the same amount of sidewall as a DR.

Keith
Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Drag Radials do more damage then a full slick hands down. Most of the bad breakage we have seen are a result of drag Radials. We always recommed running ET streets over a Drag radial.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just thinking out loud, but I would think the side wall material has as much to do with it as sidewall height. There is 1" difference between a 16 and 17 " ET Street, thats 0.5" on the radius. It is hard to believe a hlaf inch will make that much difference. However the sidewall on an ET street will flex a lot more. So if both tires hook up a drag radial will bite and transfer a lot of sudden force while a ET street will flex and absorb some of the shock loading. I would think that a 17" ET street would be easier on the drivetrain than a 17" drag radial, but not as good as a 16" ET street. Maybe someone with more experience can weigh in.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:42 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marlowchris
I am just thinking out loud, but I would think the side wall material has as much to do with it as sidewall height. There is 1" difference between a 16 and 17 " ET Street, thats 0.5" on the radius. It is hard to believe a hlaf inch will make that much difference. However the sidewall on an ET street will flex a lot more. So if both tires hook up a drag radial will bite and transfer a lot of sudden force while a ET street will flex and absorb some of the shock loading. I would think that a 17" ET street would be easier on the drivetrain than a 17" drag radial, but not as good as a 16" ET street. Maybe someone with more experience can weigh in.
keep in mind that sidewall construciton also plays a role in driveline shock. The MT drag RADIAL has a steel belted sidewall which doesn't flex near as much during the launch as the ET Street bias-ply tire does.

I've yet to use a drag radial on the z06, only ET Street with the drag pack, but I've used DR's on other cars at the track and have broken MANY a pressure plate strap with them during the launch.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it OK to run Bias tires on the rear, and radials on the front, if you ONLY just put them on when going to the drag strip?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 PM
99SoCalFRC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The ET street will out hook anything in a radial, this is the reason I ditched them and went to the 295/18 BFG Drag radial, I don't know what you all mean in "shock" and driveline abuse, I know this, when I launch the car I know the Drag radial is going to spin ever so slightly and that makes me feel better than having a dead hook tire on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To MT ET streets much better then BFG drag radials?

Quick Reply: MT ET streets much better then BFG drag radials?