C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth injection, run b4 or after the MAF, what about the IAT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Cleonard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Meth injection, run b4 or after the MAF, what about the IAT?

I have a Stage I TTI and want to run meth. Currently, my MAF is right before the TB. I was told meth will kill my MAF, so I am going to relocate the MAF further upstream. Now, I want to keep the IAT sensor after the meth so I get the full benefit from the cooler charge. So two questions:

1) Will the meth kill my IAT sensor?
2) If it won't, how do I separate my IAT sensor from my MAS? What wires do I splice? Is the IAT sensor a dealer only part, or can I get one from Autozone?

Anything I should think about first?

Colby
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 PM
AustinL911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleonard
I have a Stage I TTI and want to run meth. Currently, my MAF is right before the TB. I was told meth will kill my MAF, so I am going to relocate the MAF further upstream. Now, I want to keep the IAT sensor after the meth so I get the full benefit from the cooler charge. So two questions:

1) Will the meth kill my IAT sensor?
2) If it won't, how do I separate my IAT sensor from my MAS? What wires do I splice? Is the IAT sensor a dealer only part, or can I get one from Autozone?

Anything I should think about first?

Colby

Well, I'm told that meth is corrosive to metal, and considering the MAF has metal wire in it, I'd guess mixing the two would be bad.

Not sure about the rest.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should spray the meth after your MAF. As far as I know, nobody here runs it before the MAF and I can only imagine it would do real funny things to your tune if methanol was spraying through the MAF. Eventually it would cause the MAF to fail because methanol is corrosive, but I think it would take lots, and lots, and lots of boost and methanol to do this. Heck, I bet I could fog methanol onto a MAF sensor for several weeks straight and it would probably still work fine (just a guess). So I wouldn't be as concerned about the corrosion as I would the MAF sensor reading funny while meth is spraying. On the plus side, your MAF sensor would never get oily.

You can get an IAT sensor from GM for around $20. If I recall correctly you are splicing into the brown wire coming off the MAF sensor to break out your IAT. Meth will not kill the IAT sensor.

There are pros and cons to spraying meth through the IAT sensor. Know that artificially low IATs will affect fueling on your car (usually by the end of a run most guys are seeing 20-30 degree drops from ambient temperature). I don't think this is by any stretch an issue but it does throw things off a little bit, probably more so if you ever go to a speed density tune. On the plus side, if you spray through your IAT sensor your tuner can sort of use that as a safety mechanism in your tune. Since your car won't really see high IATs while the alky is running he could make sure the car pulls a bunch of timing if it did see high IATs (e.g., methanol ran out or pump failed or whatever). I don't have meth on my car yet but will probably tune my car this way.

Last edited by Tony @ MPH; 04-02-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meth changing phases will drive MAF crazy causing you to go pig rich if not pegging it. Then never mind corrosive nature.

IAT you can use any 3K thermistor (I’m 99% sure it’s 3K @ 25 degrees C). If you want I can double check.

Mike
Old 04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Cleonard
Instructor

So is the general consensus that the MAF should come first, then the meth nozzle, then the IAT? Or do most ppl spray after the IAT?

Colby
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

So is the general consensus that the MAF should come first, then the meth nozzle, then the IAT? Or do most ppl spray after the IAT?

Colby
I go MAF then Meth, then relocated IAT. It's worked great for me for the last 2 years!!

JB
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM
clemsondave
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having a friend make one up today. My order will be Intercooler, MAF, meth nozzle, IAT sensor (from GMC Cyclone), throttle body.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

just to keep everyone on the same page(i'm sure most of are aware), the 01-04 maf has the iat integrated in the housing, 97-00 has a seperate iat
Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
You should spray the meth after your MAF. As far as I know, nobody here runs it before the MAF and I can only imagine it would do real funny things to your tune if methanol was spraying through the MAF. Eventually it would cause the MAF to fail because methanol is corrosive, but I think it would take lots, and lots, and lots of boost and methanol to do this. Heck, I bet I could fog methanol onto a MAF sensor for several weeks straight and it would probably still work fine (just a guess). So I wouldn't be as concerned about the corrosion as I would the MAF sensor reading funny while meth is spraying. On the plus side, your MAF sensor would never get oily.

You can get an IAT sensor from GM for around $20. If I recall correctly you are splicing into the brown wire coming off the MAF sensor to break out your IAT. Meth will not kill the IAT sensor.

There are pros and cons to spraying meth through the IAT sensor. Know that artificially low IATs will affect fueling on your car (usually by the end of a run most guys are seeing 20-30 degree drops from ambient temperature). I don't think this is by any stretch an issue but it does throw things off a little bit, probably more so if you ever go to a speed density tune. On the plus side, if you spray through your IAT sensor your tuner can sort of use that as a safety mechanism in your tune. Since your car won't really see high IATs while the alky is running he could make sure the car pulls a bunch of timing if it did see high IATs (e.g., methanol ran out or pump failed or whatever). I don't have meth on my car yet but will probably tune my car this way.

Thats how we tune our alky cars that are relying on the meth for fueling (high hp cars were we are trying to get the most out of it) Like Tony said, that way if you were to run out or have a problem timing gets pulled way back and the chance of a serious problem is very slim.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Cleonard
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve@CTCorvette
just to keep everyone on the same page(i'm sure most of are aware), the 01-04 maf has the iat integrated in the housing, 97-00 has a seperate iat

Correct, which is why in my '04 I need to splice in a separate IAT sensor. Sounds like most any GM IAT sensor will do. I assume two wires go to the IAT sensor located within the MAF? Do you know what color wires these are?

Colby
Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Correct, which is why in my '04 I need to splice in a separate IAT sensor. Sounds like most any GM IAT sensor will do. I assume two wires go to the IAT sensor located within the MAF? Do you know what color wires these are?

Colby
I'd like to set my 04 up this way also. Anyone know if a write up on the switch.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:33 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I have a 99 and changed out to the 04 MAF they are now intergrated
Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Cleonard
Instructor

Ok, so tell us which color wires went to your IAT sensor that you spliced w/ which color wires on the '04 MAS IAT sensor!

Colby
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Ok, so tell us which color wires went to your IAT sensor that you spliced w/ which color wires on the '04 MAS IAT sensor!

Colby
That is a good question I will have to ask my mechanic, I only drive my Vette
Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
clemsondave
Drifting

I think GM sells a pig tail, but here is a diagram i found from a post a couple years ago.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Cleonard
Instructor

So on the '04 MAF, both the MAS and IAT sensor share a common ground. So if you split them, you'll need to supply an additional ground or splice into the common ground.

Colby
Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
jers98vet
Burning Brakes

So on the '04 MAF, both the MAS and IAT sensor share a common ground. So if you split them, you'll need to supply an additional ground or splice into the common ground.

Colby
No. All you do is take the ppl and tan wires and route them to your new iat sensor. If you pull your connector off the maf and look into the maf connector( the prongs in the maf itself) , you can easily tell which 3 wires are for maf and which 2 are for iat.

Jer.

Get notified of new replies

To Meth injection, run b4 or after the MAF, what about the IAT?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 PM
leojnknsC5
Melting Slicks

I spray meth after the MAF and since I have an 2004, its after the IAT also.

I'm not an expert, but I would tend to think that meth before the IAT could or might fool the computer into believing the incoming air charge is cooler than it really is and allow more timing, even too much? Then kaboom!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leojnknsC5
I'm not an expert, but I would tend to think that meth before the IAT could or might fool the computer into believing the incoming air charge is cooler than it really is and allow more timing, even too much? Then kaboom!
Nah, the IAT vs. timing table only retards timing when it gets too hot. It doesn't advance timing. So as long as you're tuned safe to begin with this is a non issue IMHO.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
clemsondave
Drifting

FYI, part numbers

25036751 AC Delco IAT Sensor
12102620 AC Delco Wire Pigtail

I'll be putting it all together tomorrow and I'll post some pics.

dave

Last edited by clemsondave; 04-06-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Meth injection, run b4 or after the MAF, what about the IAT?