C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for 122 Magnacharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Cam for 122 Magnacharger

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post on this forum. I do not own Corvette, but I have an LS6 and 6 speed in my '67 Camaro RS. The motor is basically a stock '02 LS6 with a set of shorty headers, a dual 2.5" x-pipe exhaust system and an A&A Corvette dyno tune. I also had the transmission beefed up and installed a LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel.

I have a 122 Magnacharger kit on order, and am really excited. I've been waiting almost 6 weeks for it (rotors are on backorder), and am going to do some mods to the engine to get it ready for the blower. I have a set of 1 3/4" long tube headers and a set of Patriot Performance LQ9 stage 2 heads that I will be installing with the blower. I also have a 90mm Holley throttle body on the way.

I am in need of some cam advice, and hopefully some of you guys with Magnachargers will chime in. I am looking for a cam that is not going to hurt my driveability or kill low-end torque. I also need it to work well with the blower, and I would like a little lope at idle. This car is not a daily driver, and it does not have to be smogged.

I am looking at this cam: 224/230 .580 lift 114lsa (comp XER lobes)

What do you guys think? I know my LS6 cam will work well with the blower, but it just sounds too boring for a '67 Camaro.

I plan to run 10-12# of boost on this motor, and it is a stock short block right now. I am goint to try to limit the rpm to 6500 or so to help keep the motor together, so I'd like my peak power to come in before that.

Ideas or opinions? I'd love to hear them all

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by Streetk14; 05-09-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

ECS makes a blower cam, not sure how it works with a Maggie but they seem to do well on the centrifigal's.

As for 10 to12 Lbs of boost on a stock short block you'll be picking up the pieces very soon. Most you can run on a stock block without forging is 6 - 8 lbs with reliablility.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running a cam on a stock short block with a blower is asking for a broken piston...But the 224/230 .580 lift 114lsa cam will work fine and make alot of power...
Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
ECS makes a blower cam, not sure how it works with a Maggie but they seem to do well on the centrifigal's.

As for 10 to12 Lbs of boost on a stock short block you'll be picking up the pieces very soon. Most you can run on a stock block without forging is 6 - 8 lbs with reliablility.
define reliability.

30k miles and 2 years on stock 100k mile ls1 bottom end and 12 psi of boost.

it is not easy but with a good tune and some common sense it can work.

with that being said plan for a forged block in the future.

More Than Zero
Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by M_T_0
define reliability.

More Than Zero

You're one of the lucky one's that have survived, not many others have had that kind of luck, due to the pistons and ringland problems.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I believe they have custom maggie cams. Might as well go with the best.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

define reliability.

More Than Zero
It must be tuned by Corey.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

10 - 12 psi is pushing the limits, but it can be done with success. M_T_O, and others making over 600 RWHP has proven it. Maybe not with a LS6, but defently with a LS1. Add Alky and run a conservative tune good insurance. Add some LQ9 heads for even more insurance.
But if you can't afford a short block, then you probably shouldn't be running it.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you can't afford a short block, then you probably shouldn't be running it

Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RED99
10 - 12 psi is pushing the limits, but it can be done with success. M_T_O, and others making over 600 RWHP has proven it. Maybe not with a LS6, but defently with a LS1. Add Alky and run a conservative tune good insurance. Add some LQ9 heads for even more insurance.
But if you can't afford a short block, then you probably shouldn't be running it.

I know that I'll be pushing the limits of the stock short block. I have a set of Patriot LQ9 heads that are going on the motor to drop my compression. I'll probably start lower, maybe at 8 psi and see how it runs. This car will be tuned at A&A corvette, so I have faith in the quality of the tune. Maybe I'll be happy with the performance at 8 psi and decide to keep it there.... for a while

I have plans to do a forged 402 LS2 when my short blocks takes a dive. That was my main reason for getting the 122 Maggie, so I'd have room to grow.

Andy
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ikester
I believe they have custom maggie cams. Might as well go with the best.

I'll have to look into them

Andy
Old 05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

well first of all like everyone said "if you can't afford to pay then don't play" but on the other hand if it is not your daily, have to get to work the next day, transportation, then I have a hard time buying a new short block untill after I have found out how far i can push this one.

the cost of a new short block is going to be about the same if i replace it after blowing this one or just pull it and replace it (unless i destroy a head). So I'm not inclined to replace a 100k engine utill I have made a few mistakes, if it was a new engine that I could get $2k out of then I would think again. BTW a new forged engine is not bullit proof, just ask American HP.

Too each his own.

More Than Zero
Old 05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
WrEcKeD1101
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a LPE blower cam that was in my maggiecharged vette that I was just about to post in the for sale section if you are interested. Hit me with a PM if you are.

Oh, the specs are similar to what you have spec'd out.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

well first of all like everyone said "if you can't afford to pay then don't play" but on the other hand if it is not your daily, have to get to work the next day, transportation, then I have a hard time buying a new short block untill after I have found out how far i can push this one.

the cost of a new short block is going to be about the same if i replace it after blowing this one or just pull it and replace it (unless i destroy a head). So I'm not inclined to replace a 100k engine utill I have made a few mistakes, if it was a new engine that I could get $2k out of then I would think again. BTW a new forged engine is not bullit proof, just ask American HP.

Too each his own.

More Than Zero

My thoughts exactly. This car is just a weekend toy, and if (or when) something in the short block goes, it's not the end of the world. I have a new twin turbo BMW 335i that takes the daily driver duty.

My motor only has 15k miles on it, but I don't think the short block has too much resale value. What's a stock, used short block go for?

I will be selling my LS6 heads, cam and intake if anyone's interested.

Andy
Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WrEcKeD1101
I have a LPE blower cam that was in my maggiecharged vette that I was just about to post in the for sale section if you are interested. Hit me with a PM if you are.

Oh, the specs are similar to what you have spec'd out.

Thanks for the offer, but I actually bought that Comp 224/230 cam on ebay last night.

I think that cam will be a good compromise to get the sound I'm after, good driveability, and all-around power. I'll let you guys know how it runs and how it does on the dyno.

Andy
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
It must be tuned by Corey.
yep! look at the headder on the dyno sheet lol

Get notified of new replies

To Cam for 122 Magnacharger

Quick Reply: Cam for 122 Magnacharger