C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy maggie mod for better belt wrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 PM
RJW
Melting Slicks

Location: Tinker till it blows... then back it off a notch, maybe!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Easy maggie mod for better belt wrap

Some of you may recall my power steering hose re-route which allows replacement of the main drive belt without removing any hoses.

Here is another little mod that helps with belt wrap around the alternator. (not rocket science, and has been done before, i'm sure)

History: I am using a 2.9" maggie pulley and at the dyno, smoke was coming from the belt near the alternator. I had the idler pulley mounted on the upper alt. bolt as provided by maggie, but 2 things

1) It did stop the belt from coming off the alt. pulley, but i thought that it looked ugly, awkward and out of place, hanging up there, not to mention that it didn't help belt wrap much...so

2) I called maggie with my idea to relocate the pulley and they responded that for non-street applications, they already had a cure similar to mine...so that was good, but

I thought I would share this, in that it works well, looks better and is cheap.

I fabricated a spacer to mount & relocate the idler to another location.

My spacer is 1" diameter, .900" long and simply has a clearance hole for the 10mm bolt.

Any spacer between 3/4" and 1" dia and around 7/8" long would work, or a stack of washers would do as well. Other setups may vary a bit, so shimming may be required.

I simply removed the maggie idler and bolt, and re-installed the oem alt. bolt. I used the maggie stuff in the new location in conjunction with the spacer.

here are a couple of pictures

In the second picture, you can see the alu spacer behind the idler...no clearance issues with anything

This would even help stock sc pulley setups. look better (imo) and it's el cheapo...

Sorry that my engine and compartment are so dirty... but it's a work in progress..

update: The relocation caused about 1/4" more tension on belt (as measured on circumference of tensioner housing). In my case, this solved my belt slip problem (so far) w/o having to go to a crosscut pulley.

Last edited by RJW; 06-15-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:29 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Am I missing somthing. I don't have an idler pulley mounted on the alt. on my Maggi. looks like a good ideal I done lost one belt that came off
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by navy99vert
Am I missing somthing. I don't have an idler pulley mounted on the alt. on my Maggi. looks like a good ideal I done lost one belt that came off
Here is a shot of the before...(maggie solution) and IMO an eye sore!

You can probably get maggie to send you the idler w/bushing and longer bolt..call them and tell them you are loosing belts and you saw their alt. idler solution. I know a few people myself included that have gotten them gratis and then consider the spacer or washers to relocate.

I also got the tensioner L-brackets which help make the tensioner ***'y more rigid.

If anyone tries this with a really large sc pulley, please check that the belt will be long enough with the pulley relocated, and let us know.

Last edited by RJW; 06-15-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have to try something like that. Mine chirps like a giant bird when the tranny shifts. And I have a 8 rib.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RED99
I may have to try something like that. Mine chirps like a giant bird when the tranny shifts. And I have a 8 rib.
Can you identify the bird? Is it like 'CACAW CACAW'...

Just kidding

A better solution would be a 2 or 3 point mounted bracket that would allow you to get even more belt wrap around the alt pulley.

I already have a plan in the works, but maybe call maggie and ask Jason or whoever about their off-road bracket. Maybe you could put an 8 rib idler on it.

I drove hoodless for 2 days and my belt got a little wet. On the dyno, smoke was coming from around the alternator, so I needed to do something about it, in that alt belt wrap is not too good. I changed the belt and still had slippage.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 AM
comecorrect
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What size belt are you using? Thanks!
MIKE
Old 06-17-2007, 01:44 AM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by comecorrect
What size belt are you using? Thanks!
MIKE
I am currently using a Dayco 5061055

It is a direct replacement for the oem maggie belt, but it has crosscuts.

btw: relocating the idler as I did, restores alt pulley belt wrap to pretty much what it was before your maggie install.

Last edited by RJW; 06-17-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:33 AM
RJW
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

I have received some pm's asking about belt length with larger pullies, so...

Here is an easy way to find out if your current belt is long enough to do this mod if you are using a 3.2" or larger sc pulley.

1) Remove the idler and bolt that is mounted in the topmost alternator hole.

2) Remove the bolt where the idler pulley will be mounted (refer to the pictures)

3) With the idler mounted on its bolt, try to insert the bolt into the hole, while pushing down on the belt.

If you can do this and the tensioner is NOT bottomed out, then you should be good to go.

Make sure to install the OEM bolt back through the alternator...

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

8 year bump No more pictures. Does anyone know where to put the idler pulley? I have the one over the alternator as well. Terrible belt slippage with my 3.1 despite putting smaller belt on. Wonder if you still need an upgraded tensioner with this mod.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi , yeah no pics now , not sure if you have seen this but just in case

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lternator.html

ECS have a tough tensioner, lots of available mounting positions , specifically for pd blowers , check it out on there site .

Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks. relocated it and still didnt fix slip. Tight as heck now too. Turns out it was a the rear belt. Loosened the three bolts then used Allen wrench to tighten. Zero screech and boost stays pegged at 7 PSI now =)
Old 10-17-2015, 03:11 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you got it sorted mate .
I'd like to think I have zero belt slip at the rear

Old 10-18-2015, 04:55 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Uhhhhh.......I NEED that ^^^^^^

Get notified of new replies