C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Tuning HELP NEEDED - Back to Track Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Turbo Tuning HELP NEEDED - Back to Track Tomorrow

I recently bought a TT vette from Texas Speed & Peformance. It is a 99 FRC 347 forged built with 9:1 compression and has blower cam (224 duration and 600 lift) and upgraded heads. The turbos are 57 mm and part of a HP TT kit. It supposedly dynoed 780 RWHP but it did not fair well at the track the first time out. It ran 12.32 at 116 with 10 lbs of boost and 93 octane pump gas. If I had to guess this was around 430-460HP at the wheels.

Here's what I have found and cured since then, replaced all the plugs as three of them well oil/gas/carboned up and it had a slight miss under a load. The driver side header downpipe had an exhaust leak and the methanol pump injection was not working due to a faulty fuse.

Also, the IAT sensor is laying up on top of the intake manifold and not plumbed into the intake track, according to my scanner it was reading 142' air when the ambient air temp was 90'. The total timing was only 11-12' at WOT, I relocated the IAT to the front of the intercooler and total timing jumped to 15', although I did not keep it there thinking the tune was set up for the higher IAT temp reading.

I know I need to get a wideband meter hooked up and have the tune re-done but until then I'm looking to see what else I might be able to do to pick up the power level until then. I plan to go back to track tomorrow for some more test runs and was planning the following. Let me know what you think.

1) 8lbs IAT on top of manifold pump gas
2) 8lbs IAT on top of manifold race gas blend
3) 8lbs IAT moved to front of intercooler w/ race gas blend
4) 10lbs IAT moved to front of intercooler with race gas blend
5) 12lbs IAT moved to front of intercooler with race gas blend

Should I run or not run the meth injection with the test cases above? The plugs that were bad were #1 and #2 thus I was thinking perhaps the meth injection was blowing out the fire or causing too rich of a mixture and causing them to carbon up?

I'm new to the turbo world so your thoughts suggestions comments or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Run the meth no matter what. It aint causing the plugs to foul.

If it were me, I wouldn't run it without a wideband telling me the tune was at least track worthy. Fyi, I had a buddy who was chasing ping forever. The problem was his timing was too low

Arnel
Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have some type of scanner software to monitor it. such as EfiLive, Hp Tuners, AutoTap, etc? This would at least give you an idea as to where you're at to start with.

If so, you could hook it up and monitor knock retard and timing, IAT's, and many other variables before taking it to the track and possibly damaging it. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice, I'll run the Meth pump just to be safe. Curious why you buddy's car was detonating with the timing too low is that possible?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

No all I have at this point is a hand held scanner that AZ sells, it can read baselines including IAT and timing.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:17 PM
flynbludream
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you asked Jason for help? I know he had that car running really well a while back. I was really considering buying that car when he had it for sale.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

I told him what it ran at the track and he recommended I get it dynoed to see where it was it. We all know that ET slips tell us more about real world power than a dyno. He did not even have a boost gauge in the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Tuning HELP NEEDED - Back to Track Tomorrow

Quick Reply: Turbo Tuning HELP NEEDED - Back to Track Tomorrow