C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Busarider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Installation

I'm looking for a little information for doing my Vortech install. I put the car up on a scissor lift this morning and looked things over in preparation for my install. Things are definately tight for pinning the crank and drilling the oil pan for the return. I stopped by A&A a couple weeks ago and andy mentioned dropping the cradle out. I think that will be the better route. Does anyone know of a good write up for dropping the cradle? The lift I will be using does also have a secondary lift that could be used to lower the cradle....

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you just loosen the bolts on the cradle, just to drop it but not take it off? It might give you enough room to pin it. You just use your secondary support system to hold it up just in case! Just a thought!

Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 PM
RocketSled_Z06
8th Gear

Unbolt the Rack from it's mounting brackets, and you can push it up a couple of inches, and hold it there with a block of wood. That'll give you room to get in with an air drill to pin the crank and also cut the return hole in the oil pan. When done, just bolt the Rack back on the brackets. Since you aren't touching the tie-rods, the alignment is unaffected. Much easier method, provided you have the tools and a Lift.

That's how I did mine.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Busarider
Instructor

I guess I will go ahead and use the Vortech recommended process. I guess I will pull the radiator and fans also for more room to work under there. Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM
middlebrookgt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine a few weeks ago. Got the steering rack lifted up a couple of inches like Rocket Sled Z06 says, loosened and raised the PS cooler, took one end of the sway bar loose to get it out of the way, and had no problem pinning the crank with a small DeWalt drill. Had good access to the oil pan for drilling the oil return also.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I have consulted Andy and rec'd some great advice, I think he may have meant to 'drop' or 'lower' the cradle, by loosening the cradle nuts(x4) and prying the cradle down about an inch, it easily allows you to pass the rack out the driver's side of the car, you'll need an 18mm flare wrench for the hyd. lines, sometimes they can be difficult

foam plugs for the 2 p/s lines and the 2 open ports in the rack will make the process much cleaner
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
I have consulted Andy and rec'd some great advice, I think he may have meant to 'drop' or 'lower' the cradle, by loosening the cradle nuts(x4) and prying the cradle down about an inch, it easily allows you to pass the rack out the driver's side of the car, you'll need an 18mm flare wrench for the hyd. lines, sometimes they can be difficult

foam plugs for the 2 p/s lines and the 2 open ports in the rack will make the process much cleaner
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Busarider
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Doten

Thanks Steve, I guess I misunderstood Andy. I am going to remove the cooling fans and bring the lift down some, I think I may have been looking up at a bad angle....

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech Installation

Quick Reply: Vortech Installation