C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing for boost leaks for a twin turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Testing for boost leaks for a twin turbo setup?

My buddy has a setup to test for boost leaks on my single turbo Supra, but he reports it will not work on my twin turbo Vette. How do you guys do it? In the past I did a visual inspection and the leaks were obvious. One time I could actually hear the leak on the dyno and it was clear where it was coming from. This time I cant seem to find it, but I know there is one because there is no change when I turn the boost controller off or up the boost. The slow boost response is the same. All good suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Buy a smoke machine.

Used one on all the all the Supra's we used to build.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jersey jay
Buy a smoke machine.

Used one on all the all the Supra's we used to build.
I guess somehow I could seal it off near the TB and ignore the smoke coming from the filters.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Actually I just thought about it. I think my leak comes about when the system is pressurized. Unless the leak is all the time the smoke idea wont work. I guess I will try to just block off the other turbo so the air wont get out when we pressurize the other side of the system.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
longdrive70
Twin Turbo Coupe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not block off the pipes (high pressure) on both sides just after the turbo and then pressurize the system at the airbridge (disconnect from throttle body). In a past setup, I used 4" PCV rubber plugs tapped with a fitting to pressurize the system.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by longdrive70
Why not block off the pipes (high pressure) on both sides just after the turbo and then pressurize the system at the airbridge (disconnect from throttle body). In a past setup, I used 4" PCV rubber plugs tapped with a fitting to pressurize the system.
Thats a good idea. If I do that I could use my buddies device to pressurize the system with a few modifications to his.. His is exactly like this one.. I need to see if his hose will fit over the top of the intercooler pipe post the maf connection..

Contributed by Virus77
This is something that is pretty handy and costs a few bucks, eveyone should make one.

Yours will look different but will do the same thing.

Parts you need:

-The coupler you use to connect your intake pipe/mafs to your compressor intake.
-a pvc end cap from home depot that fits snugly into your coupler. (so its the same size as your compressor inlet on your turbo)
-simple hose clamps to hold things together.
-some form of air compressor (personal, shop compressor, foot pump, etc...) Further testing showed you need a pretty decent pump to make this effective, shop pump or home air compressor would be best
-a fitting to attach your air compressor of choice to pvc endcap (refer to pictures)

Here are the pics:

The end cap needs to have a hold drilled in it so your fitting can attach to it. This is where you will presurize the system from.

you insert the end cap into your silicon/rubber coupler and clamp it down (I had that extra silicone bend for my new maf piping I was gonna make so im using that for the time being)

The other side of the contraption gets attached to your turbos compressor intake (where the air filter/mafs coupler would normally go).

if you have a bottom mount setup and its difficult to get to the turbos intake you can also pressurize the system from after the mafs and use your cars intake piping as an extension to the turbos intake. However when doing this make sure the any line going to the intake are plugged. For instance if you have a valve cover breather line/ PCV / catch tank going to the intake pipe it needs to be plugged or else you are going to pressurize your valvecover, crankcase, etc and it wont work. Although I did find a valve cover gasket leak like this

Then you attach your choice of air compressor to the fitting on the end cap side and you pressurize the system. Check your boost guage and presurize the system up to like 15 psi or whatever you would run to see if anything pops off.

Final product

Thats pretty much it. Obviously the motor is off while you do this so If you have the slightest leak it will make a loud noise and you will find it, also if your intercooler connections are leaking it will leak and you will find those aswell. Depending on the size of your leaks you might not be even to pressurize over a few psi, so just keep fixing leaks till you hear no noise.

Last edited by 1%r; 01-17-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be able to do a pressure test w/o removing anything but the intake(s) on both compressor inlets. This is also be called the COLD side piping.

Since its twins you'll have to CAP off one turbo so no air can get in or out, depending on your inlet size you can get some FERNCO couplers @ home depot and PVC caps, that should do the trick.

Then you will need to pressurize the other turbo inlet and listen for leaks. If you are running an MBC, make sure you close it before, otherwise it will bleed all your pressure off. Just remember how many times you turned it so you can reset your boost back to where it was.

The most important thing however is to NOT remove any of your charge piping while doing this test, only the intake piping from the cold side of the turbo, otherwise it would totally defeat the purpose of testing for leaks in the first place.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
you should be able to do a pressure test w/o removing anything but the intake(s) on both compressor inlets.
It might be tricky to position the engine so no cylinders are on valve overlap.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
It might be tricky to position the engine so no cylinders are on valve overlap.
I know what you are saying, but I've done this test dozens of times on quite a few different types of vehicles and its never been a problem on any of them.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
you should be able to do a pressure test w/o removing anything but the intake(s) on both compressor inlets. This is also be called the COLD side piping.

Since its twins you'll have to CAP off one turbo so no air can get in or out, depending on your inlet size you can get some FERNCO couplers @ home depot and PVC caps, that should do the trick.

Then you will need to pressurize the other turbo inlet and listen for leaks. If you are running an MBC, make sure you close it before, otherwise it will bleed all your pressure off. Just remember how many times you turned it so you can reset your boost back to where it was.

The most important thing however is to NOT remove any of your charge piping while doing this test, only the intake piping from the cold side of the turbo, otherwise it would totally defeat the purpose of testing for leaks in the first place.
Real good information......
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

I found the boost leak. I did not have to perform any test. LOL!!

I replaced several hoses and my new hose popped off the turbo. It was letting air pass under pressure, but came off completely within the past couple of days. You are looking at the driver side turbo compressor outlet hose going toward the intercooler. It is completely off.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
I found the boost leak. I did not have to perform any test. LOL!!

I replaced several hoses and my new hose popped off the turbo. It was letting air pass under pressure, but came off completely within the past couple of days. You are looking at the driver side turbo compressor outlet hose going toward the intercooler. It is completely off.

u using worm clamps?
if so go to NAPA and get some t bolts
BTW get those new JZ compressor wheels man!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
u using worm clamps?
if so go to NAPA and get some t bolts
BTW get those new JZ compressor wheels man!
Yes the kit comes with worm clamps. I am going with t bolt clamps. I have some. I wont be able to do it until my next day off..

Those JZ turbos are tempting.. 1300 a pop though. Can I first max out my current ones?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
Can I first max out my current ones?
NO
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
NO
You are the type of guy that would purchase a 15000sqft home and live in it by yourself.

Why should I change turbos when we all know C5 drivetrains are suspect? Why should I change turbos when I have YET to fully use the ones I have? Why should I change turbos when I dont even go to the track? Why spend another 2600 in turbos I dont need?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

This was the old hose on the car. There was a huge hole in it.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Finally had time to repair the boost leak. The hose is back on and as usual the car wakes the HELL UP!!

Get notified of new replies

To Testing for boost leaks for a twin turbo setup?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
zbc51
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

deja vu, I had a similar problem last summer. I had a boost leak that sounded like a horn blowing when I was under boost. Eventually the same hose failed on my car; but it was from it rubbing on the front sub frame. I could'nt get my big fat hand in there to replace it. Phil fixed it in about 30 minutes; no problems since then.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zbc51
deja vu, I had a similar problem last summer. I had a boost leak that sounded like a horn blowing when I was under boost. Eventually the same hose failed on my car; but it was from it rubbing on the front sub frame. I could'nt get my big fat hand in there to replace it. Phil fixed it in about 30 minutes; no problems since then.
People were saying my car was loud as hell!! You are lucky to have Phil near you. He knows this kit like the back of his hand. My hands were not designed to work on this kit. Everytime I work on something I have to ask my buddy TJ or Sam for the use of their small hands. When there is no boost leak the car is just plain SICK!!

Quick Reply: Testing for boost leaks for a twin turbo setup?