C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges necessary for Maggie and nitrous? Stock look?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 AM
0Navy Blue
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauges necessary for Maggie and nitrous? Stock look?

What gauges are necessary for the Maggie?

What gauges do you need for Nitrous?

As far as autometer it seems like the Nexus gauges are close to stock. If I got the Nexus gauges I would either install matching bexels on my dash gauges or try to paint the nexus gauges black. I really want my maggie and nitrous gauges to look stock.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,113 Likes on 986 Posts

For the S/C you do not need any gauges. They are nice to have and I went with Boost/Vac and Fuel pressure.

Don't know for sure about Nitrous but probably FP and Bottle pressure.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
For the S/C you do not need any gauges. They are nice to have and I went with Boost/Vac and Fuel pressure.

I guess you could say that about every gauge in the car. You do not need any gauges in the vehicle at all to drive it; however, they are essential to monitor proper operation. I would think a boost gauge at a minimum. Especially if you ever drive your car at lower ambient temperature so you can know what's going on with the boost. I guess it's just a little more important for me not having a forged bottom end yet.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I guess you could say that about every gauge in the car. You do not need any gauges in the vehicle at all to drive it; however, they are essential to monitor proper operation. I would think a boost gauge at a minimum. Especially if you ever drive your car at lower ambient temperature so you can know what's going on with the boost. I guess it's just a little more important for me not having a forged bottom end yet.
Your point is right on. However a boost gauge is not near as important as things like water temp, oil pressure and fuel level in the day to day operation of your vehicle.

Now having a Boost gauge on a FI car is half the fun.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette

I disagree, IMHO a fuel pressure gauge is a must and a boost gauge is helpful as well.
The fuel pressure gauge will alert you to any problems that may develop with the pump and or boost-a-pump and possibly save your motor by you seeing that something is not right.
To a lesser degree the boost gauge can also alert you to problems such as leaks/pressure loss due to loose/leaking ducting, slipping belt, etc.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rag-Top Rick
I disagree, IMHO a fuel pressure gauge is a must and a boost gauge is helpful as well.
The fuel pressure gauge will alert you to any problems that may develop with the pump and or boost-a-pump and possibly save your motor by you seeing that something is not right.
To a lesser degree the boost gauge can also alert you to problems such as leaks/pressure loss due to loose/leaking ducting, slipping belt, etc.
I have both for just that reason.

I took my car to the track last weekend for the 1st time. I glanced at the Boost but can't remember looking at the FP during the runs. Before and after I checked but not during.

Maybe I was just too busy holding on and having fun.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:14 AM
0Navy Blue
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeli...&opid=1&szid=2

Can someone please explain the difference between boost/vacuum and boost and which some is better to have with a Maggie?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

All engines run in vacuum unless they are being forced fed.

With a Boost only you will be able to see the boost psi. Whereas with the B/V you can read your vacuum when you are just cruising not getting on it.

As I get on it a little I can see the vacuum drop towards zero then it goes positive when it starts making boost.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Beer99C5@FastbirdPerf.com
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nitrous you are concerned with Bottle pressure, Fuel Pressure and AFR.

I log fuel pressure using EFI Live, and have a combination gauge from Trick Performance that combines Bottle Pressure with AFR. This gauge has the option to use either AFR, Fuel pressure, or Boost as an input (in conjuction w/ Bottle pressure).

Here you can select a real time w/ a six second history graph of your "second" input (AFR, Fuel Pressure or Boost).

Here is a movie of me cycling through the menu's with the guage running.

Beer working the Trick Performance Gauge

The second input (AFR, Fuel Pressure or Boost) has the ability to program upper and lower limits, shutting down the nitrous if needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauges necessary for Maggie and nitrous? Stock look?

Quick Reply: Gauges necessary for Maggie and nitrous? Stock look?