C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW rubber bushings for torque tube are wrong for vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Tomulrich
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW rubber bushings for torque tube are wrong for vette

I know many of you guys have replaced your torque tube bushings/couplers with the units from the BMW dealer. (318I) because they are cheaper.

These pieces are not the same as the Vette units...they are a softer rubber and are prone to more flex.

I installed them on my vette...I had a bad severe vibration....I took the TT apart and found they were rubbing the inside of the TT. From my analysis the are expanding in diameter at higher rpm....up to 1/4" and rubbing the the tube....this is occuring on 3 areas of the coupler.

The were is not occuring from an out of balance driveshaft assemble......it is the bushing expanding

I am very dissapointed...I know have to go out and buy the GM units. If anyone else is thinking about replacing them...get the GM ones...

Please post your experiences

Tom
Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
roythomas
Drifting

glad you sorted out !!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomulrich

I have installed many of the BMW sourced couplers as well as the GM sourced couplers without issue. Tell me more about your torque tube set-up. Are you still using the Yank supplied bolted together set-up? Is this a early tube switched over to 12mm couplers? Something is not right and I bet its not the couplers.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked through some old posts and found some pics you posted of your torque tube. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1824042 How does the bolted together torque tube work? Have you driven your corvette and put some power on the set-up yet ?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm running one BMW coupler and one Solid and no problems yet. The BMW coupler looked exactly like the GM one too me.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
0Brian@FI Performance
Former Vendor

Location: FI Performance : Norwalk Connecticut www.FIPERFORMANCE.com

Talking about the BMW Guibo here?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

I have a "Like new" GM coupler and a new BMW coupler right next to me. I dont notice ANY difference in feel or rigidity.

I'd love to know more..
Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by American_HP@Total Perf
I have a "Like new" GM coupler and a new BMW coupler right next to me. I dont notice ANY difference in feel or rigidity.

I'd love to know more..
same here, I'm looking at both the GM & BMW coupler right now and can't tell a difference.

I installed the BMW couplers in my 01Z last time the driveline was out. The car has since dipped into the 9's w/multipal 1.4 - 60' times and I haven't had the slightest hint of issues. I would think if there was an issue that myself or any of the other dozens of people would have reported it by now.

Are you sure you reassembled the TT exactly as it was taken apart?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Tomulrich
Pro

yes the two I had were different

Tom
Old 03-10-2008, 05:56 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

I know many of you guys have replaced your torque tube bushings/couplers with the units from the BMW dealer. (318I) because they are cheaper.

These pieces are not the same as the Vette units...they are a softer rubber and are prone to more flex.

I installed them on my vette...I had a bad severe vibration....I took the TT apart and found they were rubbing the inside of the TT. From my analysis the are expanding in diameter at higher rpm....up to 1/4" and rubbing the the tube....this is occuring on 3 areas of the coupler.

The were is not occuring from an out of balance driveshaft assemble......it is the bushing expanding

I am very dissapointed...I know have to go out and buy the GM units. If anyone else is thinking about replacing them...get the GM ones...

Tom
How much money did you save going with the BMW couplers?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Tomulrich
Pro

I ordered the GM ones today...so now its costing me more!

Tom
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I bet you know what size socket & wrench to grab without even looking at the bolt. Been there!!! A lift & trans jack would be handy
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Tomulrich
Pro

I can pull the whole car apart and have the drivetrain out on the bench and the garage clean in 1 1/4 hrs. on jack stands.............

Tom
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
willig72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes the two I had were different

Tom
I had RPM install two I had bought and they are different.
They were not a solid rubber part. Miine have a small slotted hole between the mounting hloes. I have had no issue but have no mileage on them. I will be changing them when my new engine goes in. They did not feel a firm as the originals. Did I save money? NO after I replace them again.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Tomulrich
Pro

Thanks willi....there must be different ones out there......I had problems with mine expanding because they are softer rubber....

I bought GM ones today...definately harder..

tom
Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

well I hope you get it all worked out. post pics of the differences/damage if you can. It would be good for others to learn from your mistakes.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 AM
ROBERT@SS
Advanced

What year, model, and trans. BMW are you guys having good luck with, or a part number would be even better. I'm going to have my trans/diff out next week and I would like to install a new one while I'm in there. I wonder if Tom may've accidently ordered the wrong unit? The Germans are notorious for not "parts sharing" much and a different model could very likely use a different guibo.

Thanks Guys.

Get notified of new replies

To BMW rubber bushings for torque tube are wrong for vette

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
B Neat
Racer

I'm not buying this. I put a lot of these in and they all have the same part numbers. (yeah I know they made 2 sizes) I've seen the same part number with a BMW logo on other vehicles also. My friends late model GTO uses BMW couples, My Dads 88 Ford ranger uses BMW couples. My sons BMW uses BMW couples too! (imagine that) I've changed everyone of these and they all have the same part numbers on them. Some of them don't have the BMW logo on them, but the part number is the same. I hope someone doesn't prove me wrong on this, I don't want to change all the ones I've put in!
When I took my cousins 99 FRC apart it was rubbing on the inside of the tube and it had never been apart before. It only had 60,000 miles on it when we changed them. We were putting a clutch in it before the blower install so we changed the couples while we were in there.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:57 PM
ROBERT@SS
Advanced

I wonder if those that are having the rubbing issues are on 97-00? GM started using a larger Tq. tube in '01. So for those that have and haven't had the problems, does this follow any logic?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:05 AM
B Neat
Racer

Sounds logical to me, but I've only worked on the 99 and 2000, not sure if the newer ones (or older ones) have this problem or what years have the different size couplers. I might be helping a friend do his 02 Z06 sometime soon. (he needs a through-out bearing) If I find out anything I'll post up.

Quick Reply: BMW rubber bushings for torque tube are wrong for vette