C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube bushing differences /pics of rubbing driveshaft couplers / vibration test

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
graybeard28
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmeflibi
just some food for thought, we just pulled my car apart because it was clunking pretty bad at idle, and found that the rear bushing was completely gone. I hope my drive shaft is straight still!

I order my bushings from corvette central for about $70 for the both of em. I called RPM and they told me that there was no difference in the bushings and that they were all made at the same place. I wasn't able to find those harder GM pieces. I'm putting those GM ones in, and we'll see how it goes. I didn't go with the billet ones because of fear of vibrations. I'll try to post pictures of the destroyed piece when we get back to working on the car. Its snowing in North Carolina LOL!
You don't know what snow is!!! I live in Michigan. Last weekend, when I was in the garage it was -9. Yesterday, as I am removing the shifter it warmed up to 8. I have knee high snow drifted across the driveway and my wind gauge reads a steady 15 mph. I attempt to warm the garage with 1 kerosene heater. Needless to say I only work about 2 hours a day. I am retired and with this weather I don't take the car out until May so I have plenty of time to get this done.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Tomulrich
how....also softer rubber...pictures dont lie!!!!!!!!!!!
Alright can someone tell me the part number for the GM TT coupler. I agree that the GM one is harder and that the pics do not lie, plus I held one of the BMW in my hand not too long ago and they were DEFINITELY not the same material as the couplers shown on the right of this pic.

Last edited by Cajun @ Edgyvette; 01-21-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by graybeard28
Thanks for your kindness and insight. I am really hoping for JUST the clutch package. I have had no vibration, rattle or noise except at the very beginning of clutch engagement. My only thought right now is getting at the pressure plate and disc for the first time. Chevrolet sure didn't engineer for the poor sap who had to work on one of these things. I will certainly keep you in mind. Hope you don't mind if I might call upon your expertise in the future? Thanks again

glad to help. yeah just keep us posted on any questions you may have. You do know you got to pull the whole rear subframe with tranny and rear end plus the torque tube to get to the clutch.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Rconce01
Pro

dude i did that soft rubber crap. Its no good you are going to tear them up! Save your money and time. They are all the same crap the BMW, the corvette central, and the jaguar ones. No good. Go solid and you'll be happy.

If you do the rubber ones try the BMW M6 they have them at the BMW dealers and the M6 is around the vettes power.

Originally Posted by ccajun4real
Alright can someone tell me the part number for the GM TT coupler. I agree that the GM one is harder and that the pics do not lie, plus I held one of the BMW in my hand not too long ago and they were DEFINITELY not the same material as the couplers shown on the right of this pic.

I placed an order for the couplers from Corvette Central and found out these are on back order and there have been quite a few quality control issues over the last year with the manufacturer. Here is the message annotated on my order.

Qty: 1
Item: 585123
Description: TORQUE TUBE BUSH -RUBBER 10MM
*Expected Date: 02/01/09

**************************************** **************************************** ******************
Please note that the dates listed below are actually reason codes and only apply if shown in place
of an Expected date for an item on your order.

*01/01/20 The factory is experiencing problems with the production of this item. At this time
they are unable to furnish us with a definite production date. We will notify you as
soon as we are given an update from the manufacturer.

*02/02/20 The item that you ordered is being discontinued. The factory does not intend to produce
this item again. We are looking for a new supplier and will notify you as soon as we
have new information.

*03/03/20 The manufacturer is experiencing major technical problems that are beyond our control.
We have made several attempts to obtain accurate information from the manufacturer on
this item without success. Presently, no further information is available. We will
notify you when we receive an update from the manufacturer.

*04/04/20 Our Quality Control Department has put a hold on this item until they are sure it meets
Corvette Central's standards. We will notify you as soon as we have an update.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 PM
graybeard28
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Rconce01
glad to help. yeah just keep us posted on any questions you may have. You do know you got to pull the whole rear subframe with tranny and rear end plus the torque tube to get to the clutch.
Yes I know, I got the Corvette manual inside the car when I purchased it. There must be a total of 1000 pages devoted to removing the clutch. A long way from laying under my '57 and dropping the trans on my chest. I have the exhaust and shifter out, I am just about ready to start attacking the rearend/torque tube. I am going to start on it tomorrow, it is supposed to be in the 20's---that is a heat wave this winter. Thanks for being there
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Yes I know, I got the Corvette manual inside the car when I purchased it. There must be a total of 1000 pages devoted to removing the clutch. A long way from laying under my '57 and dropping the trans on my chest. I have the exhaust and shifter out, I am just about ready to start attacking the rearend/torque tube. I am going to start on it tomorrow, it is supposed to be in the 20's---that is a heat wave this winter. Thanks for being there
Last night it was in the 40's here in miami. It was some good tire smoking weather!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
cmeflibi
Burning Brakes

just in case anyone cares, I called Corvette Central and explained that I just bought these bushings about 2 weeks ago(must have gotten the last couple before they sold out) and i was wondering if they would take these bushings back since they deemed them junk, and all they would tell me is that they had no problems with those bushings and that there was no manufacturer's defect. They said the only problem was that they had been back ordered

that confused me............

i'm not looking for a refund or something, but they acted like none of this happened. I'm going to give them a second chance, and will call back with those codes listed about in cajun's to see if I can clear things up.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

just in case anyone cares, I called Corvette Central and explained that I just bought these bushings about 2 weeks ago(must have gotten the last couple before they sold out) and i was wondering if they would take these bushings back since they deemed them junk, and all they would tell me is that they had no problems with those bushings and that there was no manufacturer's defect. They said the only problem was that they had been back ordered

i'm not looking for a refund or something, but they acted like none of this happened. I'm going to give them a second chance, and will call back with those codes listed about in cajun's to see if I can clear things up.
Nick,

I called them. They also told me that there was no manufacturing issue, only a normal back order. They said that those codes listed applied ONLY if they were listed in place of the estimated delivery date. Maybe it doesnt mean anything, I guess I just dont understand why it was included in the email if it does not apply. I think I might have jumped to a conclusion after reading the comments. Either way it does not affect negatively on Corvette Central since they are merely the vendor.

I did cancel my order and am getting my couplers from Gene at gmpartshouse.com

Cajun
Old 01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
alnassimvette
Intermediate

For anyone donig tranny work dont forget to change the three bearings inside Torque tube .
Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Rconce01
Pro

When being nice fails, do this. Ship it back with a tracking number and call your credit card company and do a claim. fax all your info as far as manufacturing defects to the credit card company.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Anyone got a 10mm coupler I could get?

Cajun
Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Rconce01
Pro

What are you looking for? a free one? new or used? are you going to install it or just take some dimensions off it?

I can scan a coupler for you and send you the jpeg or even drop it into cad and get you some more accurate dimensions, but i can't do it right away.

Anyone got a 10mm coupler I could get?

Cajun

Last edited by Rconce01; 01-27-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rconce01
What are you looking for? a free one? new or used? are you going to install it or just take some dimensions off it?
LOL, any of the above brother. I need a 10mm one. I am getting one billet but need an OEM for the front of the driveshaft.

Cajun
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM
0todd@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, any of the above brother. I need a 10mm one. I am getting one billet but need an OEM for the front of the driveshaft.

Cajun
Give us a call. We have OEM and BMW.
Ask for TJ.
800-406-1109
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by todd@rpmtransmissions
Give us a call. We have OEM and BMW.
Ask for TJ.
800-406-1109
I really enjoyed talking to you bro. You guys are top notch and can always be trusted to give a completely unbiased, objective, fact based opinion. Thanks

Cajun
Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Munky
Burning Brakes

I need help! This is the first time I have owned a Corvette. Have a '98, 6 speed with 54K. It has started to chunk/chatter when you engage the clutch from a standing start (forward or reverse). It is fine once it is moving. If you find the exact RPM you can eliminate the hic-up start. Most times it is just embarassing, like your first clutch. I assume PP and disc but have people telling me it could be TT bushings. How will I know? Is it an obvious thing when I get it torn down? Also, does the clutch slave normally give out to the point I should just replace it? Money isn't my strong point so I am trying to do as little as possible.
I have the same problem in my 99. I am very interesed to know what you found as the solution.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Torque tube bushing differences /pics of rubbing driveshaft couplers / vibration test