C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torco octane accelerator I am now a believer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torco octane accelerator I am now a believer.

I have been having detonation problems with the crappy 91 pump gas here when they upped the Ethanol % for the winter Gas here in California in October and as soon as my boost would hit 6 psi I heard the marbles (I go to 10-12 psi). I am buying a meth kit soon but need to be held over till then the old fashioned way with mixing.

A few months ago I started mixing 100 racing gas in with the pump 91 to blend for 95 octane which wasnt too hard to do but today after I hadnt blended up any racing gas as my local connection was out and I was horribly detonating after severely raping a Saleen Mustang I decided to stop by the local supplier and buy a qt of the Torco stuff.

I added 1/2 qt of the Torco to my 5 gallon jug of pump 91 then added that to my existing 4 gallons that was in my left tank which calculated out to be 95 octane. I drove around for 20 minutes slowly getting off/on it to make sure it had gone through the system then up on the freeway I went.

WOW! Not a single sound of detonation all the way to 10 psi in even in 4th gear. I dont seem to need more than 95 octane so I only need to add a 1/2 qt of Torco to every 10 gallons. $20 cheaper ($30 if I order from a non local rep) for 20 gallons Torco mixed blend vs mixing the race gas also.

Last edited by briann510; 02-24-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by briann510
I have been having detonation problems with the crappy 91 pump gas here when they upped the Ethanol % for the winter Gas here in California in October and as soon as my boost would hit 6 psi I heard the marbles (I go to 10-12 psi). I am buying a meth kit soon but need to be held over till then the old fashioned way with mixing.

A few months ago I started mixing 100 racing gas in with the pump 91 to blend for 95 octane which wasnt too hard to do but today after I hadnt blended up any racing gas as my local connection was out and I was horribly detonating after severely raping a Saleen Mustang I decided to stop by the local supplier and buy a qt of the Torco stuff.

I added 1/2 qt of the Torco to my 5 gallon jug of pump 91 then added that to my existing 4 gallons that was in my left tank which calculated out to be 95 octane. I drove around for 20 minutes slowly getting off/on it to make sure it had gone through the system then up on the freeway I went.

WOW! Not a single sound of detonation all the way to 10 psi in even in 4th gear. I dont seem to need more than 95 octane so I only need to add a 1/2 qt of Torco to every 10 gallons. $20 cheaper ($30 if I order from a non local rep) for 20 gallons Torco mixed blend vs mixing the race gas also.

Very good to hear, I've been running it in every tank on my blownc5 for the last 6+ years. Before that, I did the same thing, mixed in 100 octane. I literally used to drag 5 gallons of 100 with me on long canyon runs. Now I just make sure I have a quart or two with me, and I'm good to go!

I have also had Charlie at RPM motors tune my bolt on LS3 with 91/Torco. We made an extra 25+ HP over the average similar bolt on LS3.

JB
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the email reply and ill be ordering it from you from now on for as great deal instead of buying it locally with a huge outrageous markup..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I am a believer too Brian
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Torco has always been on my list as a "must have" to make top power on boosted and heavily modded cars.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Brian, can you measure octane in your lab? It would be nice to figure out how much it really changes your octane.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
BUBBAS 01Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought some from JB late last year...

I am a believer as well....car didn't detonate when we went to winter fuel...

Old 02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Hey Brian, can you measure octane in your lab? It would be nice to figure out how much it really changes your octane.
Yea we ran a lot of octanes in our lab for all the oil companies. One of the companies I used to work for tested a sample of it in 2004 and here are the results.

Looking at those results there was no way I would believe those results would raise the compression stated on the can with such a small amount added to the pump gas.***I was just corrected in these results were actually a mixed sample and NOT just a sample of the accelerator itself as the lab report was not titled correctly in what was actually tested so the raised octane results are inline***. It just wasnt possible blend calculation wise....so there is much more to the stuff than just raising the octane only to ward of detonation and is changing other properties as well to control the burn process. Lots of variables here what it might be doing that after mixing in pump gas would raise the octanes that much when the actual concentrate is only a 96.5 octane.

I did notice when I was emptying one can just now into a qt bottle to do some visual color tests and a vapor pressure test the last 1/4 of the can was very dark orange colored almost like rusty particles all in it (I didnt shake the can before as I wanted to see what settled out in the bottom). I suspect those are the particles that collect on the spark plugs people see as little reddish specs on the porcelain attributed to MMT. MMT isnt listed on the can but I betcha its in there and a lot of it as well and since it has a flash point of 205f it would help in burn control while raising the octane as well.
On the can it says "burn control technology" which is a lot more than just raising the octane..

Last month I was blending 100 octane race gas in with pump 91 and knew exactly at what point and what octane my detonation stopped. I then put many tank fulls of pump 91 gas through and then mixed up some Torco using their blend chart to arrive at the same octane I knew stopped my detonation and it must be damn close is all I can say what they state on the can for raising octanes is the equivalent of what I was mixing with race gas before.

I will take a sample in mixed and see exactly what octane it is using their blend chart and see how close it actually is. I'm more interested in what changes with the RVP, distillation points, flash and metals are.

Last edited by briann510; 02-26-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

That's more like it! I though you were gonna hold out on us for a minute there.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
That's more like it! I though you were gonna hold out on us for a minute there.
Yea I hate to really do a complete analysis on the stuff cause its proprietary information and they could come after me legally if I post whats in it specifically. Kinda like someone testing KFC and posting the "secret" ingredients.

Hey Bret I should have stopped by your house when I was in Texas. Just got busy all of the sudden. Ill be there again as I go visit every 6 months the family.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Yea we ran a lot of octanes in our lab for all the oil companies. One of the companies I used to work for tested a sample of it in 2004 and here are the results.

Looking at those results there was no way I would believe those results would raise the compression stated on the can with such a small amount added to the pump gas. It just wasnt possible blend calculation wise....so there is much more to the stuff than just raising the octane only to ward of detonation and is changing other properties as well to control the burn process. Lots of variables here what it might be doing that after mixing in pump gas would raise the octanes that much when the actual concentrate is only a 96.5 octane.

I did notice when I was emptying one can just now into a qt bottle to do some visual color tests and a vapor pressure test the last 1/4 of the can was very dark orange colored almost like rusty particles all in it (I didnt shake the can before as I wanted to see what settled out in the bottom). I suspect those are the particles that collect on the spark plugs people see as little reddish specs on the porcelain attributed to MMT. MMT isnt listed on the can but I betcha its in there and a lot of it as well and since it has a flash point of 205f it would help in burn control while raising the octane as well.
On the can it says "burn control technology" which is a lot more than just raising the octane..

Last month I was blending 100 octane race gas in with pump 91 and knew exactly at what point and what octane my detonation stopped. I then put many tank fulls of pump 91 gas through and then mixed up some Torco using their blend chart to arrive at the same octane I knew stopped my detonation and it must be damn close is all I can say what they state on the can for raising octanes is the equivalent of what I was mixing with race gas before.

I will take a sample in mixed and see exactly what octane it is using their blend chart and see how close it actually is. I'm more interested in what changes with the RVP, distillation points, flash and metals are.

Hey Brian,

The above testing I had done was a sample I sent in that was a mixture of 10 gallons of 91 octane mixed with one quart of Torco race fuel concentrate.
96.5 octane was the end result of the mixture of Torco and 91 octane.

Last edited by jbsblownc5; 02-25-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Hey Brian,

The above testing I had done was a sample I sent in that was a mixture of 10 gallons of 91 octane mixed with one quart of Torco race fuel concentrate.
96.5 octane was the end result of the mixture of Torco and 91 octane.
Ah thanks Joel.....I thought that was actually your sample that was tested long ago and the lab form stated the sample wrong like it was actually the accelerator only being tested and that was my doubtful comments earlier and report should have been more specific it was a mixed result with 91 pump octane and what percentage it was as well. I think I argued the results a year or so ago but no one ever mentioned it was a mixed ample until you did just now! I will correct myself in saying it makes a lot more sense now and aligns perfectly with what I calculated the octane to be as well with my testing! Thanks Joel for bringing that up and thanks for shipping out my Torco today with same day service.

Last edited by briann510; 02-26-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Ah....I thought that was actually your sample that was tested but the lab form stated the sample wrong like it was actually the accelerator only and should have been more specific it was a mixed result with 91 pump octane and what percentage it was as well. I think I argued the results a year or so ago but no one ever mentioned it was a mixed ample until you did just now! I will correct myself then in saying it makes a lot more sense now and aligns perfectly with what I calculated the octane to be as well! Thanks Joel for bringing that up.
No problem!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Yea I hate to really do a complete analysis on the stuff cause its proprietary information and they could come after me legally if I post whats in it specifically. Kinda like someone testing KFC and posting the "secret" ingredients.
Maybe you could ask for permission and let them know that you'll share the results with the Corvette magazines or something. They should get excited about that. Maybe they'll give you enough money to retire.

Hey Bret I should have stopped by your house when I was in Texas. Just got busy all of the sudden. Ill be there again as I go visit every 6 months the family.
I would have enjoyed the visiting with you, but I understand family first and I'm not exactly next door. Let me know next time you come to town and we can get together.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

what is the minimum 91/torco ratio?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by algZO6
what is the minimum 91/torco ratio?
Here ya go...

Last edited by briann510; 02-26-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Here ya go...
good to know...

Get notified of new replies

To Torco octane accelerator I am now a believer.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Here ya go...

Nice job on that Brian!!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM
RE-ENTRY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's got the price on Torco?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RE-ENTRY
Who's got the price on Torco?
I sent you a PM

Quick Reply: Torco octane accelerator I am now a believer.