C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

He already toasted the A6 and sent it to RPM for a good and proper fixin.
Again, if I wasn't thinking about the possible expense of a good launch, I would be in his mix all day long.

Update: I ordered some fittings to convert the current fittings to 3/8" hose. I will have to wait to get the Pfadt adapter from RPM and bolt the cradle in before I can determine the best size and mounting location for an oil cooler. More to come.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Again, if I wasn't thinking about the possible expense of a good launch, I would be in his mix all day long.

Update: I ordered some fittings to convert the current fittings to 3/8" hose. I will have to wait to get the Pfadt adapter from RPM and bolt the cradle in before I can determine the best size and mounting location for an oil cooler. More to come.
That's the big difference between the auto's and six-speeds is launching capabilities. The six-speed is very abrupt engagement, whereas the auto's are smooth due to the fluid engagement of the torque converter. Just stand on the brake and bring it up to speed and then let go.

Your new combo should be pretty stout. What differential brace are you running on it ?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
That's the big difference between the auto's and six-speeds is launching capabilities. The six-speed is very abrupt engagement, whereas the auto's are smooth due to the fluid engagement of the torque converter. Just stand on the brake and bring it up to speed and then let go.

Your new combo should be pretty stout. What differential brace are you running on it ?
The best way I know to launch a manual is not very abrupt, but to hold the pedal close to engagement and don't dump it, but ease it out as quickly as possible without letting the RPM's go down. Instead of a bam or a bam and then the car falling on its face, it sounds more like a yyyyeeaaahhh of the hole. Next track rental, if I can get some slicks, I may pound on it and give it the launch it deserves.
No diff brace needed. That's what the new mounting geometry is all about
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Where are you mounting/have mounted the diff & tranny coolers? The Pfadt adapter is for engine oil, correct?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

The best way I know to launch a manual is not very abrupt, but to hold the pedal close to engagement and don't dump it, but ease it out as quickly as possible without letting the RPM's go down. Instead of a bam or a bam and then the car falling on its face, it sounds more like a yyyyeeaaahhh of the hole. Next track rental, if I can get some slicks, I may pound on it and give it the launch it deserves.
No diff brace needed. That's what the new mounting geometry is all about
Good to know about the brace.

What Clutch set-up did you go with ? Tilton ?

I'm doing the auto version of your set-up. My plan did not iclude running a cooler on the differential only the tranny, but maybe I will run one, once I see how you hook it all up.

If I had the Z06 ducts in my rockers I would do the DRM kit, but since I don't have any ducts, I'm not sure they would work to well in that location.

I could run coolers from the front brake ducts back and still fit in the inter-cooler and oil cooler for my centri set-up that I'm going to do.

So many details to work out.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Where are you mounting/have mounted the diff & tranny coolers? The Pfadt adapter is for engine oil, correct?
The adapter I am referring to is for correcting the offsets between the differential and cradle so that everything will line up. When the cradle lines up, the diff won't line up with the cradle.

I am putting in a rear mounted tranny oil cooler. From the factory, the trans fluid goes all the way to the front of the car through the radiator and back. The diff cooling works off of the tranny oil as they pass through a common aluminum block to draw the heat out of the differential fluid.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Good to know about the brace.

What Clutch set-up did you go with ? Tilton ?

I'm doing the auto version of your set-up. My plan did not iclude running a cooler on the differential only the tranny, but maybe I will run one, once I see how you hook it all up.

If I had the Z06 ducts in my rockers I would do the DRM kit, but since I don't have any ducts, I'm not sure they would work to well in that location.

I could run coolers from the front brake ducts back and still fit in the inter-cooler and oil cooler for my centri set-up that I'm going to do.

So many details to work out.
That Tilton is too pricey for my wallet. I upgraded my Textralia Exoskel to a triple disc. Strangely, it is as quiet as stock and the pedal effort is nothing whereas the pedal effort and noise from the twin was significant and when they upgraded it, they changed the friction discs and floater plates, but reused the pressure plate. Explain that!

The 08 diff has a pump built in to the rear cover from the factory as well as fittings and lines going in and out. I wouldn't have had to do anything to the diff except they messed up one of the lines in shipping.

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 04-28-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Great writeup Bret. I guess I am special. I got that PM long time ago
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Great writeup Bret. I guess I am special.:
Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

That Tilton is too pricey for my wallet. I upgraded my Textralia Exoskel to a triple disc. Strangely, it is as quiet as stock and the pedal effort is nothing whereas the pedal effort and noise from the twin was significant and when they upgraded it, they changed the friction discs and floater plates, but reused the pressure plate. Explain that!

The 08 diff has a pump built in to the rear cover from the factory as well as fittings and lines going in and out. I wouldn't have had to do anything to the diff except they messed up one of the lines in shipping.

Yeah, that Tilton is crazy $$$$'s. I wonder how necessary it is for hooking up the differential cooler in a street application ?

BTW, do you know how much fluid and what type of lube to use with the C6 Z06 unit ?, as I bought a brand new one from a jobber who liquidates GM parts.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Yeah, that Tilton is crazy $$$$'s. I wonder how necessary it is for hooking up the differential cooler in a street application ?

BTW, do you know how much fluid and what type of lube to use with the C6 Z06 unit ?, as I bought a brand new one from a jobber who liquidates GM parts.
They still have a plug in the back. You can call Scoggin Dickey, RPM, Gene Culley or your local GM parts guys and they should be able to tell you. I am guessing it will be between 2 and 3qts. Just fill it to the edge of the plug hole as usual.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks. Yeah, Gene is just up the street from me and I do business with him all of the time. Will check with RPM about whether or not differential cooler is needed. I wasn't sure if there were any special procedures to fill it because of the extra volume needed for the cooler and cooler lines.

I'll have to weight out a few options. I converted to a six speed and swap out radiators for a manual "Becool" model that I got a good deal on. It's the polished version so maybe a street rodder would buy it, when I go back to an auto tranny again.

They still have a plug in the back. You can call Scoggin Dickey, RPM, Gene Culley or your local GM parts guys and they should be able to tell you. I am guessing it will be between 2 and 3qts. Just fill it to the edge of the plug hole as usual.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Thanks. Yeah, Gene is just up the street from me and I do business with him all of the time. Will check with RPM about whether or not differential cooler is needed. I wasn't sure if there were any special procedures to fill it because of the extra volume needed for the cooler and cooler lines.

I'll have to weight out a few options. I converted to a six speed and swap out radiators for a manual "Becool" model that I got a good deal on. It's the polished version so maybe a street rodder would buy it, when I go back to an auto tranny again.
I don't have any money right now, but depending on when you have the radiator up for sale, I may be interested.
Differential cooler isn't really needed for street driving or even light road racing, but I already have it, so I might as well keep it. The lines for the pump are short on the diff, so filling it to the plug should be good, but do me a favor and let me know if RPM tells you otherwise.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I don't have any money right now, but depending on when you have the radiator up for sale, I may be interested.
Differential cooler isn't really needed for street driving or even light road racing, but I already have it, so I might as well keep it. The lines for the pump are short on the diff, so filling it to the plug should be good, but do me a favor and let me know if RPM tells you otherwise.
PM sent.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
QuickZoh6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just curious If anyone knows if the posi unit and left and right shafts out of a C5z diff are interchangeable with the c6Z diff?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Dunno about the posi unit but I think the ring gear is larger and that should make it a "NO"
The shafts are interchangeable though.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

I received some parts yesterday and am waiting on the remaining parts. I did get the Pfadt adapters to mount the rear to the cradle, so I'll be moving forward this afternoon and tomorrow. More pics coming soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???

Old 05-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Well, I didn't get a ton of work done. I got started a little late and got stopped by the rain. My good friend,Shaun aka: AtomicC6 came over to help. We put the new RKT56 mounts, transferred the C5 cradle components to the C6 cradle, extended the switch wires on the driver side lower switch, swapped the switch on the driver side because the plugs aren't the same, plugged all of the electrical in, ran a new line from the cooling block to the differential pump and started figuring out what I needed to do to get the tranny cooling lines set up for the cooler. I found some good fittings to mate with all of the cooling line connections.

I quickly discovered that the heat exchanger cannot be used in the C5's. It's so close to the exhaust that it exchanges heat with it, heating up the fluid to ridiculous temperatures.
Attached Images       

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 03-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Forgot to show you what got me to stop. Even though I'm in the garage, I have to keep the door open. I couldn't do that without a swim suit on. It also helps to have electricity, which was not available for quite a few hours last night.
Attached Images   

Last edited by BLOWNBLUEZ06; 03-23-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone want a transmission that will hold your F/I, nitrous power???