C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost leak test done, question about leaking IAT sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Boost leak test done, question about leaking IAT sensor?

So I have been struggling with boost leaks for sometime now, and I dont I havent felt or seen the car run at its full potential in a long time. I made a boost leak tester for my APS TT car and started hunting. These are the leaks I found:

-Boost controller solenoid
-vacuum lines in the back of intake manifold
-rubber coupler in charge pipe
-an old AIR pump line in the bumper
-Meth line where it T's into dual nozzles
-tiny leak out of my relocated IAT sensor?

I noticed as I was searching that air was coming out of the weather pack pigtail and that when I unplugged the pigtail, air would rapidly escape the system. I thought this was kind of weird, but I pulled the exact same IAT out of my '99 suburban, and I can also blow through it. Is this normal, and what can I do to keep air from escaping through the sensor?

FWIW, I wasnt able to achieve over 10-11 psi before, and I tested it up to 28 psi on my boost gauge with NO leaks
Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 PM
frc00ny
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you make your boost leak tester?
I can definately see a use for this!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Although little things can add up, a little leak isn't going to affect your performance that much. Obviously only you or someone seeing it first hand can decide how significant the leak is. You might be able to put some silicone on the bottom side of the sensor. Just don't get anything on the thermistor and you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, check your wastegate lines and fittings. I know your setup is diferent but I keep melting mine. Im going to use stele brake line instead of vacuum tubing.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by frc00ny
How did you make your boost leak tester?
I can definately see a use for this!
I bought some rubber caps from Home Depot to cap off the turbo inlets, drilled a hole in one of them and threaded a air chuck fitting into it. I used some silicone to seal it off on the inside. Then hooked my cylinder leak tester to the air fitting to regulate how much psi I wanted to push through. Then hooked the air compressor to the leak down tester and started listening

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Although little things can add up, a little leak isn't going to affect your performance that much. Obviously only you or someone seeing it first hand can decide how significant the leak is. You might be able to put some silicone on the bottom side of the sensor. Just don't get anything on the thermistor and you'll be fine.
Yeah, I agree, I dont truly think it will cause that significant of a performance loss, but I was mainly concerned if it was broken or not since I didnt think air was actually supposed to be flowing through the sensor.

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
Chris, check your wastegate lines and fittings. I know your setup is diferent but I keep melting mine. Im going to use stele brake line instead of vacuum tubing.
Yeah, I replaced mine a while back. They are still holding up fine for now but I have a feeling I will upgrade later.

Get notified of new replies

To Boost leak test done, question about leaking IAT sensor?

Quick Reply: Boost leak test done, question about leaking IAT sensor?