C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aps twin turbo oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
aaronboostc5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aps twin turbo oil leak question

I had a small oil leak from the oil distribution block. Forgot to use thread sealant. So I pulled it all apart and fixed it. After I pulled both the lines that feed the oil to the turbo's off I got under the car and noticed oil dripping from both turbo's were the wastegate pipes bolt on. I know I used the wrong sealant when I installed them but have them off now to correct that problem. I started the car, made sure the oil scavange pump was squirting back into the valve cover, it was, and once the oil burnt up it seemed to stop leaking. I asked the shop where I bought them because I was worried about a bad seal and he said it doesnt quite work like that. Can anyone put my mind at ease and explain what happened. I only put maybe 100 miles on the car sinse the installation and now there is literally 3 feet of snow here. Plus I want to know if I need to fix something before reassembly. Thanks for any advice. Everyone has always been helpfull.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Could very easily be bad seals. Did the car spend any time on jack stands or did you have the manifolds off with the turbo's tilted backwards??? Mine will leak if tilted down at all.

Another thought.....you disconnected the lines, bypassing the sealed system for the turbo feed.....that distribution block is designed to keep oil from flowing when there's no power. Could be that what was in the lines drained into the turbo's, filled and went past the seals, and once you buttoned and burned it off everything was fine again.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm working on getting my aps tt going also. I don't have it on the road yet and my passenger side turbo is leaking like you said yours is and then it smokes like a freight train for a while. I sent this guy on ls1tech named Louis a PM about rebuilding the turbos. Here is his response:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
They dont usually fail that soon. how many miles are on it?

Double check your scavenge pump, and make sure you have a GOOD crank case breather. I have a car here that is on the stock motor, stock twins, made 570/570 on pump, no meth, strait wastegates.

It started smoking and leaking. I tore it apart, turbos were fine, but what we found was that the scavenge pump needed to run for a period of time AFTER the engine was off. We built a timer for it that ran the pump for 10 seconds, as there was 8 ounces of oil in the center housing prior to the pump staying on, and we reduced that to 2 ounces.

THAT much oil, 8oz, seeps thru to the turbine, and leaks like a siv. It will not smoke on start up because there is no heat. First time you romp on it, huge cloud.

The turbos are most likely fine. I would try the pump solution first, then we can talk about turbos.

Louis
Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
aaronboostc5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Could very easily be bad seals. Did the car spend any time on jack stands or did you have the manifolds off with the turbo's tilted backwards??? Mine will leak if tilted down at all.

Another thought.....you disconnected the lines, bypassing the sealed system for the turbo feed.....that distribution block is designed to keep oil from flowing when there's no power. Could be that what was in the lines drained into the turbo's, filled and went past the seals, and once you buttoned and burned it off everything was fine again.
Don't start by saying bad seals, you'll give me a heart attack. Just kidding. I believe you are exactly right. The car was tilted back and I did break the sealed system when I was fixing the leak at the distribution solenoid. I just wanted a second opinion. Now I can put everything back together with confidense. Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
aaronboostc5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ronnie_W
I'm working on getting my aps tt going also. I don't have it on the road yet and my passenger side turbo is leaking like you said yours is and then it smokes like a freight train for a while. I sent this guy on ls1tech named Louis a PM about rebuilding the turbos. Here is his response:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
They dont usually fail that soon. how many miles are on it?

Double check your scavenge pump, and make sure you have a GOOD crank case breather. I have a car here that is on the stock motor, stock twins, made 570/570 on pump, no meth, strait wastegates.

It started smoking and leaking. I tore it apart, turbos were fine, but what we found was that the scavenge pump needed to run for a period of time AFTER the engine was off. We built a timer for it that ran the pump for 10 seconds, as there was 8 ounces of oil in the center housing prior to the pump staying on, and we reduced that to 2 ounces.

THAT much oil, 8oz, seeps thru to the turbine, and leaks like a siv. It will not smoke on start up because there is no heat. First time you romp on it, huge cloud.

The turbos are most likely fine. I would try the pump solution first, then we can talk about turbos.

Louis
That is pretty much what the guy at the shop where I bought them told me. I'm going to reassemble mine and just let the pump run for 10 seconds or so after shut down. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

How would i go about making the pump run for 10 sec. after shutdown?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
How would i go about making the pump run for 10 sec. after shutdown?
I asked about the timer but didn't get an anser yet. Right now I just put a toggle switch on mine to see if running it after shutdown and a little before start up would help. So far, it don't seem to help the smoking on mine. I haven't had time to research the timer relay yet.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

I asked about the timer but didn't get an anser yet. Right now I just put a toggle switch on mine to see if running it after shutdown and a little before start up would help. So far, it don't seem to help the smoking on mine. I haven't had time to research the timer relay yet.
well I have the TurboWerx pump so it's light years ahead of the APS pump, as far as performance so my smoking issue is non-existant while driving.....but it does spit out some oil when first starting it up in the mornings.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Ronnie_W
Pro

well I have the TurboWerx pump so it's light years ahead of the APS pump, as far as performance so my smoking issue is non-existant while driving.....but it does spit out some oil when first starting it up in the mornings.
Is the smoking different now that you have the TurboWerx pump? Did you have a smoking issue before. Mine is terrible. It does clear up once in a while.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

My scavenge pump bit it, turbowerx cured my smoking.

Chris, isn't the pump wired to be on when the key is on?? I think mine is, so if that's the case, just leave the car in acc as you're preparing to exit and you should be fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Originally Posted by Fastbird
My scavenge pump bit it, turbowerx cured my smoking.

Chris, isn't the pump wired to be on when the key is on?? I think mine is, so if that's the case, just leave the car in acc as you're preparing to exit and you should be fine.
I believe it is wired to come on once there is oil pressure.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

The turbowerx cured all my smoking issues, but it still spits out oil upon startup. I'm pretty sure the pump is wired through the fuel pump relay. Now how it works through the relay, I'm not sure.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Ronnie_W
Pro

The turbowerx cured all my smoking issues, but it still spits out oil upon startup. I'm pretty sure the pump is wired through the fuel pump relay. Now how it works through the relay, I'm not sure.
Did you buy the pump from tubowerx or is there a vendor that carries them? I saw it for $349 on their website.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Did you buy the pump from tubowerx or is there a vendor that carries them? I saw it for $349 on their website.
Bought it from Dallas Performance.

Get notified of new replies

To aps twin turbo oil leak question

Quick Reply: aps twin turbo oil leak question