C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/C install - balancer bolt removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 PM
WDDarts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S/C install - balancer bolt removal tips?

In process of installing my Supercharger this weekend - finally got the steering rack out (yes.... it was a pain to get out) and now getting ready to pin the crank. Trying to remove the balancer bolt but the balancer keeps turning. It does seem to tighten up a bit just as I run out of room to turn any more. Any way to keep the balancer from turning without damaging anything.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by LS1HowTo.com
On a 6 speed car, put the shifter in 4th gear and make sure the parking brake is on tight. On an A4 car, you'll need to drop the starter and either install the flywheel locking tool or wedge a screwdriver in. The starter is held in by 2 13mm bolts for 99+ models or 2 15mm bolts for 98 models and is on the bottom rear passenger side of the engine. You can leave the wires attached.

Once the engine is locked down from spinning, use your large breaker bar, a 3" extension and a 24mm socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt that goes directly into the crank through the center of the large pulley. You may need a 2-3 foot extension of pipe to slip over your wrench to break this bolt free. Once its broken free, you should be able to unscrew it by hand. Once the bolt is out, either thread it back in 4 full turns, or if you purchased a 1" longer metric crank bolt, install it all the way at this time. Now install your 3 arm pulley puller, mounting the hooks of the three arms on the inner part of the stock pulley. If you already have an underdrive pulley on there, either pull it off using a 3 screw type puller, or be VERY careful and grab onto a lip of the underdrive pulley (on the fbody ASP pulley there is a ridge half way back that can be pulled on safely with a 3 arm puller). Keeping the pulley puller arms all secure and aligned, begin to tighten the bolt on the puller and crank on it until the pulley either comes loose, or hits the head of your crank bolt. If it hits the head of your crankbolt, loosen the pulley puller, unturn the bolt 1-2 turns, and re-try it again. The key when you back your crank bolt out more, you are putting MORE stress on less and less of the threads...however, towards the end of pulley removal it will come off easier and easier so the stress isn't enough to damage the crankshaft threads.

If you get the pulley as far off as it'll come without totally removing the crankbolt and the pulley is still firmly on there, give it a good tug or a tap with a rubber mallet...it should be hanging on by just a hair at this point. If you have the longer crank bolt, this won't be an issue.
Here is a post I found about it.. not sure if it'll help..but good luck!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

With the rear wheels on the ground put it in 6th gear with the e-brake on and then get a big braker bar on there. If auto, take of the inspection cover on the bell housing (the rubber piece) and I think it is 2-1/4" open end wrench and put it on the sqaure clamp thats in there.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 AM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
With the rear wheels on the ground put it in 6th gear with the e-brake on and then get a big braker bar on there. If auto, take of the inspection cover on the bell housing (the rubber piece) and I think it is 2-1/4" open end wrench and put it on the sqaure clamp thats in there.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 AM
aquachuck1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hd

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Totally agree on the manual transmission type....breaker bar with 4 foot of copper pipe (any pipe will do)....slow steady pull and it will come loose.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM
WDDarts
Instructor

Thanks for the tips - I finally broke it loose!! Just took a constant steady pressure for it to finally break loose. Now if it could just warm up - who ordered all of this cold and snow in Atlanta?!?! Now the garage is sub 30 degrees - guess I will have to dress in layers today....
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Be careful when you install the new crank bolt. Hate to see your next post being 'how to remove a broken crank bolt?' LOL
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
WDDarts
Instructor

Originally Posted by muncie21
Be careful when you install the new crank bolt. Hate to see your next post being 'how to remove a broken crank bolt?' LOL
Thanks - I will make sure it is torqued to spec. I have all the manuals and am pretty **** about torquing everything down as it should be. I guess wrenching on helicopters in the Military for 9 years has this pretty much a standard for me.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Since your pinning your crank spend the extra bucks for the ARP bolt and then you'll never worry about broken or loose bolts again.

Get notified of new replies

To S/C install - balancer bolt removal tips?

Quick Reply: S/C install - balancer bolt removal tips?