C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracks in torque tube housing welds WT....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Cracks in torque tube housing welds WT....

***UPDATE***

Talked to the guys at VA Speed, evidently the lines I'm seeing are from the welding process. It is caused by the impurities in the metal being drawn toward the center of the weld. They showed me the same marks on a new weld. Learn something new everyday.

Here are some pics of the torque tube housing from my 2004 A4. Looks to me like I have cracks on the center of the welds at each end of the tube…. Anyone seen anything like this before? The front has the cracks all the way around, the rear is only on the top half.

Looks like I’m in the market for a 2004 A4 housing, if you have one let me know. I don’t need a the driveshaft, I have a brand new ECS U-joint one setting here.

Front of end of torque tube

Rear end of torque tube

Last edited by Mike04; 01-05-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 AM
TheCartel
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't look terrible. Why not reweld?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM
TracyRR
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree^^^^^^.... it doesn't look bad.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

That is what I decided to try after thinking about it overnight. I'm going to check with VA Speed today and see what they can do.

I'm just glad I caught this when I did, could have caused some real damage.

Maybe I should give up my quest for the 8's....
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04
Maybe I should give up my quest for the 8's....
!!!BLASPHEMY!!!

Take away this mans beer till he settles down.

Seriously though, I would re weld also.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

You have found the reason first hand why we came up with our "Torque tamer" Mike. On a higher powered car like yours, the entire drive train lifts upon hard launches. Basically the entire drive train wants to spin in the opposite direction of the tires.
On a solid axle car you would have a tq arm that mounts to the body, the Corvette uses the tq tube and the weight of the drive train, which is normally sufficient, until your making big power. You would really be surprised how much the drive train flies around and flexes under the car upon load and high power.
Here's the thread where we have it listed, it's pretty inexpensive, and will keep this from happening again. btw, I would just weld it too.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/drag...-of-heart.html
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike04
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
You have found the reason first hand why we came up with our "Torque tamer" Mike. On a higher powered car like yours, the entire drive train lifts upon hard launches. Basically the entire drive train wants to spin in the opposite direction of the tires.
On a solid axle car you would have a tq arm that mounts to the body, the Corvette uses the tq tube and the weight of the drive train, which is normally sufficient, until your making big power. You would really be surprised how much the drive train flies around and flexes under the car upon load and high power.
Here's the thread where we have it listed, it's pretty inexpensive, and will keep this from happening again. btw, I would just weld it too.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/drag...-of-heart.html
I talked to Chris about this a little yesturday after I received your U-joint driveline and noticed the these cracks when i was installing it. The torque tamer will be on my car before it hits the road again.

I'm curious how many cars have these cracks, I have only seen one other thread showwing anything like this. On that one the whole housing ripped apart.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracks in torque tube housing welds WT....

Quick Reply: Cracks in torque tube housing welds WT....