C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI Procharger Owners! We now carry the ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 02:52 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default ATI Procharger Owners! We now carry the ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits...

Dear Corvette Forum Forced Induction Members,

We are now carrying ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits so you can key your crank and avoid any permanent damage to your engines.

We should have them in stock within the next week.

If you are installing the ATI Procharger or contemplating installing the ATI unit, you MUST key the crank or you WILL damage your engine.

If you purchase this kit direct from ATI Performance Products, it will cost you: $640.20 for the super damper and the key pin kit.

If you purchase this kit direct from us, the same parts will cost you: $575.00 including shipping.

Please contact us if you would like to place an order for a kit as we only have a few kits coming in as ATI has to build these and they take time.

As many ATI Prochargers are being installed, there won't be any of these kits left.

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 04-16-2002, 03:38 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re:ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits...

If you are installing the ATI Procharger or contemplating installing the ATI unit, you MUST key the crank or you WILL damage your engine.
No flame intended.:) But if this is an absolutely "must-have" item, why didn't ATI include it with the kit in the first place. I understand that they want to keep the cost down, but to me, cutting corners on any absolutely "must-have" item is totally unacceptable.

Anyways, I'm just curious that's all. :cool:

:cheers:
-Tuan
Old 04-16-2002, 04:04 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Default Re: Re:ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits... (Tuan Le)

Tuan Le,

This is a very good question. ATI says that you don't need to key the crank, but there have been more than a few cases of the balancer becoming lose after about 1000 miles of the Procharger being installed on the car.

The reason why we say it is a must-have item because of the nature of the item.

You can run the Procharger without keying the crank, but you run the risk or damaging the engine and having to replace the crankshaft which is very costly.

This is just extra insurance. We just keyed the crank of our car last week and the peace of mind is well worth the cost of these parts.

Shawn
Old 04-16-2002, 05:03 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Re:ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits... (Tuan Le)

Many threads with the Key-ing issue...I personally think it just slipped past them, and some balancers did come loose and quick..But the blower is a GREAT mod :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by dbvettez06, 3:08 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 08:57 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oooh - be carefull with this statement

No problem here with LAPD - a true first rate company on this Forum, but, ummm, this is a rather bold statement , possibly from a legal point of view as well - be carefull. Just my opinion.

[Modified by Ha-Ha, 8:05 PM 4/16/2002]

[Modified by Ha-Ha, 8:06 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-16-2002, 10:28 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: oooh - be carefull with this statement (Ha-Ha)

Another good point is to have ATI Perf put the keyway in your stock damper too. I'm sending an extra one over to them shortly.

I don't trust the local shops. The supposed 'best' machine shop screwed up 1 damper already. Idiots.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:40 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Ha-Ha,

I completely understand what you are saying, however when I spoke with Cary P. at ATI, he said that if you are running anything over 535 hp on the C5 or Z06 with their unit, which almost all of the ATI Vettes are, he said that it would be a very good idea to get the crank keyed. He told me to recommend keying the crank to everyone.

He said that it is better to be safe than sorry and he was aware of the reported loosening of the damper after installing the Prochargers. He said it is a lot of power for the damper to take and it is going to happen sooner or later.

I wouldn't state it if I didn't get word from the top dog at ATI.

As far as any legal issues go, if I said NOT to key the crank when ATI said to, then that would be a very high risk legal statement. We are telling everyone to be safer than sorry, and to key their crank. I just don't understand how that opens us up to any legal liabilities.

We are also carrying this product to assist everyone in making sure they enjoy their Procharged Vette for years to come.

Shawn
Old 04-17-2002, 12:22 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: oooh - be carefull with this statement (L.A.P.D.)

he said that it would be a very good idea to get the crank keyed. He told me to recommend keying the crank to everyone.

He said that it is better to be safe than sorry and he was aware of the reported loosening of the damper after installing the Prochargers. He said it is a lot of power for the damper to take and it is going to happen sooner or later.

I wouldn't state it if I didn't get word from the top dog at ATI.

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

First, to reiterate, I'm not trying to flame.

Now, IMO, everything you say in your reply above is exactly as how you should have said it. But you didn't say it like that. You said something totally different. To further illustrate, have ALL the OWNERS on this FORUM "damaged" their LS1 as a result of not keying after a PROCHARGER Installation?? Has even one LS1 owner "DAMAGED" his engine as a result of not keying after a PROCHARGER Installation? Thats what I mean by legality and re-wording (which you actually did in your reply). Again, just offering some constructive criticism. :cool:

[Modified by Ha-Ha, 11:42 PM 4/16/2002]

[Modified by Ha-Ha, 11:45 PM 4/16/2002]
Old 04-17-2002, 01:19 AM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Ha-Ha,

I understand what you are trying to say.

The thing is, the ATI Procharger for the C5 and Z06 hasn't been out long enough for anyone that hasn't keyed their crank to run into any major problems. A few have caught the damper loosen before any damage set in, but if the problem wasn't caught in time, major engine damage would have happened. I am sure there is at least one C5 that has been damaged from a non-keyed crank. We may just not have heard about it. This is what we are warning the forum members about.

If the damper is spun loose under hard loads, this will cause major damage to the engine and crankshaft. It has happened as early as 800 miles on a C5, but if the crank is not keyed, damage is just around the corner. It is all a matter of time.

There has been many reports of this happening on Procharged F-bodies and a few C5s so far.

We are just saying to make sure and be safe.

I hope everyone can appreciate this.

Thanks!

Shawn

Get notified of new replies

To ATI Procharger Owners! We now carry the ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits...

Quick Reply: ATI Procharger Owners! We now carry the ATI Performance Products Super Damper and Key Pin Kits...